Raw Freedom Community  

Advertisement

Go Back   Raw Freedom Community > Raw Freedom Kids - A Holistic Approach To Parenting > Kids On Raw > Kids on Raw General

Kids on Raw General Nutritional Corner, Kid Approved Recipes, Creative Kitchen Ideas, Social Challenges and More!

Old 09-17-2007, 10:40 AM
Blue-Footed Booby - Caretaker

Question What age do you introduce nuts to children?

Does anyone have any thoughts as to what the recommended age to begin to introduce nuts to children? I was thinking 2 years old? Does that sound right? Also, sprouted almonds first, cashews, macs and pines last? Just looking for some thoughts here. Thanks so much!

Blessings, Julie~
Old 09-18-2007, 12:01 PM
Finch

Talking Hola!

Hi Julie!

So glad to see you hanging around! You have been missed!

As far as the nuts go, yes two years old is fine. Unless there is a family allergy, then they may wait until as old as 5 (ask an allergist). I know I waited only one year before I gave some Peanut Butter with the first one. he did fine. I wasn't worried, cause allergies do not run in wither of our families.

***Also, if nut allergies are common in a family, the pregnant woman should refrain from them until after she has delivered the baby and is done breastfeeding -- or at least that is what I was told by a friend in that exact situation!***

Now, with two, I have given the one year old some raw nuts -- no reactions, so I feel ok about it. The more kids you have, the harder it is to not feed them what the other one is eating!

Talk with you soon!

RVM
Old 09-20-2007, 10:26 PM
Mute Swan

Yes, what RVM said, hard to resist sharing the food!
So Caleb is not 12 months yet, just barely 11, and he has had small amounts of nuts in the form of mylks (Ani Phyo style) and nut butters.
My Dad's life was saved (when a baby) by nut (cashew and?)milk so I don't have a fear/concern/worry of feeding babies nuts, as far as I know, peanuts are a common allergen, but I haven't heard of problems with other nuts.
Old 09-21-2007, 03:16 PM
Meadowlark

I gave Little Man Alex all kinds of nuts & seeds very early on. Especially coconut water. Except for peanuts/butter, he had peanut butter (raw) at 12 months old. We had no issues with any of it.

Raw Love
Melissa
Old 11-16-2007, 10:22 AM
Finch

Exclamation

Link

As the child gets older, about five or so, you can add nuts and seeds. Before this it is difficult for baby to properly masticate nuts and, therefore, they're difficult to digest. Wait on these.
Old 11-17-2007, 01:00 PM
Mute Swan

Hahahaha, I am starting to feel weird, am I the only one (along with my boys) who doesn't just munch on nuts? Really, I eat a LOT of nuts, but never just by themselves, so my boys don't either. We eat lots of nut and seed smoothies, and quite a few raw desserts with ground/processed nuts (hahahahah I accidently said "butts"), but we don't just eat plain ol nuts!?!?!
Lottsa nut butters too I forgot them

Raw Freedom Community > Raw Freedom Kids - A Holistic Approach To Parenting > Kids On Raw > Kids on Raw General