Raw Freedom Community  

Advertisement

Go Back   Raw Freedom Community > Sunny Raw Lifestyle > The Recipes > Breads, Crackers and Wraps

Old 07-05-2007, 01:18 PM
Hummingbird - Caretaker

Zucchini Crackers

This recipe didn't look like much at first (it calls for only 5 ingredients!), but boy, let me tell you, these are fantastic! Some of the best I've ever made! They're quite neutral in taste, so you could use them with both sweet and savory spreads.

These crackers have instantly become a house favorite; right up there with the Onion Bread and Almond Bread, in my opinion. So much so in fact, that with Random House's kind permission, I am sharing this gem of a recipe with you. A must try!!!

Zucchini Crackers
From Carol Alt's "The Raw 50"

Makes 24 crackers

1/2 cup golden flax seeds
3/4 cup purified water
1 med. zucchini, cubed (approx. 2 cups)
2 cups raw walnuts, germinated
2 tbs nutritional yeast (opt)

Grind the flax seeds in a spice or coffee grinder, and then transfer them to a bowl. Add the water and soak for about 1 hour, or until all the water is absorbed, stirring occasionally. Set aside.

Put the zucchini in a food processor and pulse until it is chopped into very small, uniform pieces, but not to the point of being mush. You want to retain some texture. Add the zucchini to the bowl containing the flax seeds. Put the walnuts in the food processor and pulse until they are finely ground, but again, not mushy or pastelike. Add the walnuts to the bowl with the flax seeds and zucchini and combine well (you may need to use you hands.)

Once you have thoroughly mixed the ingredients, spread them out evenly on two dehydrator trays lines with Teflex sheets and dehydrate at 115 degrees F for about 6 hours. When the tops feel dry to the touch, flip the cracker sheets over on the dehydrator screens and remove the Teflex liners. Continue to dehydrate for another 3 hours. Then cut the crackers into the desired size and shape. Place them back in the dehydrator for another 11 hours, or until crisp. Serve with hummus, cheese, and guacamole; or with your favorite soup.

Carmella's Notes: I definitely needed to use my hands to mix the batter, as it was quite thick. I even considered adding more water, but then I remembered the instructions, and it did the trick perfectly.

I also scored the batter before putting it in the D rather than after flipping it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ZucchiniCrackersW.jpg
Views:	263
Size:	45.9 KB
ID:	239  
Old 07-06-2007, 12:32 PM
Scarlet Tanager

Carmella, your recommendation has convinced me. I stopped at the local farmer's market and bought a rather large zucchini today so that I can try these crackers. I've made so many crackers that I haven't liked that I'm looking for just a couple that I know we like and can keep on hand. The Onion bread is one, for sure and I'm hoping this will be another staple for us.

Thanks for posting and for sharing your review on it.

"Let your food be your medicine and your medicine, your food." Hippocrates
Old 07-06-2007, 01:24 PM
Hummingbird - Caretaker

Coonlie,
You're so welcome! Please let me know how these work for you!

As I was saying, I really enjoyed them as is but this could also be a great basic cracker recipe. I'm planning on experimenting with using different spices and perhaps sundried tomatoes and peppers. Lots and lots of room to play with I think!
Old 06-20-2008, 04:54 AM
Meadowlark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carmella View Post

I even considered adding more water, but then I remembered the instructions, and it did the trick perfectly.
Hey ya Carmi!

I am planning on making these crackers and I just wondered what you meant here?

Many Thanks,

www.pamstriker.com
Old 06-20-2008, 07:31 AM
Swallow

Not a big fan of flat breads and/or crackers, but this recipe is definitely do-able! It's very similar to Mindi's "tastes just like Ritz cracker" recipe which also calls for hemp seeds.

Thanks for sharing Carmi ~ Cathy
Old 06-20-2008, 08:34 AM
Bad Mumble Jumble Dodo Bird

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pansy View Post
Hey ya Carmi!

I am planning on making these crackers and I just wondered what you meant here?

Many Thanks,

Pansy: I remember this; it was 'thick' and she UESED HER HANDS TO MIX ! LOL we got to use the hands that's the 'trix' ! LOL

jOZ
Old 06-20-2008, 09:40 AM
Meadowlark

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyjoz View Post
Pansy: I remember this; it was 'thick' and she UESED HER HANDS TO MIX ! LOL we got to use the hands that's the 'trix' ! LOL

jOZ
LOL! LOL! LOL! that is so funny...I wondered about that...Thanks, Jozzie!

Your a cracker...lol!!!

Hugs,

www.pamstriker.com
Old 06-20-2008, 10:50 AM
Hummingbird - Caretaker

Hey Pansy,

Hum, no wonder you're confused, reading this after all these months, I'm confused too! lol I'm pretty sure that I'm referring to Carol's comment that you may need to use your hands.

Enjoy and do report back on how you like them!
Old 06-20-2008, 12:33 PM
Meadowlark

thank you, Carmi...will do!

www.pamstriker.com

Raw Freedom Community > Sunny Raw Lifestyle > The Recipes > Breads, Crackers and Wraps