Raw Freedom Community  

Advertisement

Go Back   Raw Freedom Community > Market Place

Market Place RFC Affiliate Products, Forum Projects, Marketing and Advertisements, Classified and Freebies.

Old 01-03-2010, 01:09 AM
Hatchling

Alissa Cohen's book secondhand?

Anyone who lives in Canada knows how much of a pain buying books directly from the US can be ... even with parity, by the time you convert the price of the book _and_ shipping and handling, the book becomes prohibitively expensive! To give the example of my first and _only_ time I ever bought a book this way, the ~US$14.00 book cost me ~Cdn$48.00 ... I wouldn't have bought it if I'd known that would be the end cost.

And to give the example of what most books cost me, those authors kind enough to provide them via a publishing company, that ~US$14.00 book would probably be priced around Cdn$17.00 or so and then with tax would be under around Cdn$21-24, maybe (around that end price, anyway).

So, that said, as much as I want Alissa Cohen's book, I've never bought it because she refuses to deal with publishers as they take out too much of her profit - hey, those aren't the words they use, but the real translation is obvious.

So if anyone knows a reliable source for her book secondhand, pls let me know. I'd really like to get her book but don't want to be paying inflated prices for it, either.

Thanks.
Old 01-03-2010, 05:50 AM
Meadowlark

Have you tried eBay? What about buying used on Amazon? I buy nearly everything used. The seller will tell you what shape the book is in. And of last resort, maybe your public library can get it for you and you can borrow it whenever you want?
Old 01-03-2010, 07:35 AM
Meadowlark

Ebay and Amazon is where I would check too. As well as www.half.com. I buy pretty much all things that way. Good luck!
Old 05-16-2010, 07:29 PM
Hatchling

I'll send you a pm.

Last edited by Miwei : 05-16-2010 at 07:36 PM.
Old 05-17-2010, 03:07 PM
Meadowlark

It's not worth it to buy it full-price in my opinion. Better recipes online, not much good info in there, sorry.
Old 06-22-2010, 05:55 AM
Hatchling

Update ...

Hi, everyone! I thought I should update this thread. SchoolOfRawk, interesting comment to me, as you'll see.

Well, in first place, I have to say that I'm not a fan of Alissa Cohen's. I've belonged to her site for many years, which is why I wanted the book as the messages kept intriguing me. Despite my personal feelings for her, and they're not personal, I don't even know her, it's more her business practices I despise. As someone who works contract work, my lifestyle is very up and down. Currently it's very down as the Canadian government has behaved very irresponsibly and has made it so that I'm now working at 26% less than I was before. So money is now even tighter. So I was frustrated that she made her book impossible to buy since she refuses to use distributors as they take too much of a cut (I got that literally from her people, by the way!).

But I was very lucky. Around within a month of posting, I had the book. A kind reader posted a link to me offering me her book for the cost of shipping. This appealed to me. Alissa forces people to buy directly from her thereby driving the cost up prohibitively if you live outside the US. But for the shipping, I got the book and I've been very happy with it. It's the best book I've ever had and I've made more recipes with it than any other.

In fact, it's the reason why I'm 100% raw now because of 2 pieces of information she passed along to me that I didn't realize were so important.

So let me pass them along here, you don't need to buy this book to get them:

1. The importance of green. Yes, very evident _now_, but I've been trying to go raw for 20 years and it hasn't been till recently that this is so well known. But she mentioned it in such a way that hit me -- she talked in one paragraph that you must get enough protein and that greens were an important part of that. This clicked a light bulb since Silverback Gorillas, those HUGE gentle giants, are vegetarians and very big and massive (no protein problems there) and they eat mainly, you guessed it, LEAVES (greens) and fruit! So, wow, lightning strike for me. I just added about 6-8 dark green leaves of kale, etc., to what I'm juicing and eating every day and that's what did it!

2. Secondly and just as important, she stresses that you have to EAT ENOUGH! I'm still struggling with that one though I'm getting better and better! It's disconcerting but we don't feel anything once 100% raw. I didn't feel hunger and didn't think to eat till I started going loopy and had to rush to get something before I really went woozy and hit the floor! NOT KIDDING! So though there are no discernible signs, I'm aware more of the subtler ones and now just try to remember to eat at least every 3 hours or so. It's probably not enough, but I'm working on it.

Alissa's is the best book I've ever bought. It's the only one I'm consulting on a daily basis because her recipes are simple and easy to prepare for the most part yet are usually delicious. My current favourite is the unbelievable dill vinaigrette which is simple to make yet decadent. I don't have the gift of creating food so having this book is a godsend for recipes like that one.

I'm not affiliated with Alissa in any way and don't believe in her business practices but I am glad I gave her book a try even though I bought her DVD outright (local bookstore managed to get it) and found the DVD a huge waste of time and money. I managed to get her book 2 years later in quite some desperation by then and it was well worth it _to_ _me_.

Cheers!
Old 06-22-2010, 12:17 PM
Hatchling

I bought her book after joining the site. I wouldn't say its the best raw food book I have but it was a good start with a lot of great information. I like the sprouting charts and some of the other non recipe things. I may buy her new book but only if

1. It has a lot of photos - I refuse to buy recipe books without pictures of almost every recipe anymore.

2. It doesn't continue recipes on the next page so you are turning back and forth constantly and

3. It give serving sizes - I made some of the recipes and could have eaten for the next year on how much it made - I am not good at estimating how much something will make especially when you are soaking and sprouting etc and I found I threw out a lot of food.

Totally agree with regards to the price to buy it in Canada. There was some talk on her site about the new book and I mentioned something about the shipping to Canada and got a bit of a snooty reply from her. It is that and her restrictive policies that keep me from participating much in the site anymore. I totally appreciate how this site was formed - "freedom"!!

Raw Freedom Community > Market Place