Raw Freedom Community  

Advertisement

Go Back   Raw Freedom Community > Economy and Finance In Crisis > Economy, Finance & Investing

Economy, Finance & Investing Dedicated to assisting each other weather grow and profit from the coming crisis.

Old 12-19-2007, 12:56 PM
Western Meadowlark

Community

There is a publication you can order and you can also do a Google Search on Intentional Communities to find communities in the area you seek. Here is one link: http://www.ic.org/

You should first do a brainstorming list.

What things are NECESSARY for you to live happy in a community?

What things do you ABSOLUTELY NOT want? For instance if you are a 100% vegan, you aren't going to want to move into a community where they raise food animals. If you are absolutely against ownership and use of guns, you aren't going to want to be where people keep them for safety or hunting.

Do you want to live in the country or the city?

Do you want children to be welcome or would you prefer an adult community?

Are you Christian or Pagan or Jewish or ???

Do you need it to be peaceful or do you thrive on activity?

Are you ok with public nudity (this is a serious question)

Do you want to live primitively? (outhouse, no electricity)

Do you have an income?

Do you want to be in an income sharing community?

Do you need your own person dwelling or are you willing to live in a communal house?

Does your communal house need to include private sleeping space?

Are you in a relationship, and if yes, is it monogamous or open?

What type of diet do you require?

Do you want to grow your own food?

What portion of your day are you willing to commit to the community?

What useful skills can you share, teach, barter, or otherwise offer?

Do you want to live in the mountains? Desert? Islands?

Will you homeschool or do you want your children in public school?

What type of discipline do you use for your children?

These are just examples.... make a list with two columns... the WANTS and the DO NOT WANTS. You can even add a third column for "I don't care".

Now, with this in hand, begin seeking a community that feels like it could be a match for you. Then write letters giving as much information as you can. You must be open. They want to see who you are and why you want to join them.

Then, ARRANGE A WEEK LONG VISIT if possible. You will NEVER know the truth of the situation until you've visited! Do not visit alone. Visit with whatever family members you will be taking.

Be sure to visit with every person in the community if possible, with a list of questions in hand.

This is how to begin your search, in my opinion.

I have lived in several communities.
Most have been wonderful experiences.
One was ruined by ONE PERSON who managed to break apart the community by using her children as a weapon. In this community, she had been married to another person and had 3 children. They divorced, but stayed on the land and each took other partners. We reached decisions by consensus. But she held the children over the head of the father and his new wife in such a way that we were rarely able to solve problems. People left one by one, rather than deal with the negativity, including my husband and myself. So another good question to ask is how they deal with problems, issues... what type of government they have.

The last time I visited a community, I got to know the person inviting me online. Then I went for a visit and was SHOCKED at the blatant lies posted on their website. The housing was old dilapidated mousedropping filled trailers with holes in them and 2 inch caked on dirt on the floors and counters and this is NO joke! I have fixed up some pretty scary places, but this place was not even fixable. He also had ideas about his role in the community with "a group of women"... and my skin crawled until I hit the road, rescuing another woman he had trapped up there along the way. If you want to email me privately, I will be happy to send a website where you can see how beautiful and idealistic this place looks to young students seeking community. I was shocked and it takes a lot to shock me!

Sooooo... choose carefully.... but there ARE really wonderful communities out there. And a group of people with the same goals can achieve a much better life, in my opinion, sharing resources, skills, ideas, and work.

Good luck!
Old 12-19-2007, 01:57 PM
Hummingbird - Caretaker

Hey Guys;

looks like we need/needed this discussion, eh?

- will re-iterate - we need to go step by step and not get too far ahead. stick to principals.

it's vitally important, as we see it, to get our minds fluid and able to be objective/face facts, as they are revealed. most people won't be able to do that well, and will consequently fail to read the signs properly, (and there will be plenty of signals). the Jews in Germany in the early/mid 30's come to mind as an example.

the reason for that phenomena is that people look for a (FALSE) sense of security, and they find that in sticking with what they know (the status quo). as K. points out, "in a world/life that is always changing, there can actually be no security". man is the only animal which doesn't realize that FACT, (from natural intelligence) and so creates feelings of INSECURITY from the process of seeking that which is impossible (security).

also the other big factor is attachment to homes, jobs, family, friends who resist when the (harsh) FACTS are presented and apply pressure to not take action appropriate to the situation. (the classic "Lets wait and see what happens" attitude)

RowanC, thanx for your great input. you obviously have put lots of thought and experience into this. your advice on intentional communities is right on. EXTREMELY difficult, (if not impossible) to find. we believe it is something that in all probability needs to be CREATED, and that can only happen properly if a great many duckies can be lined up properly, (and your list refers to most of them.) we feel GOVERNANCE is the key. the US has become the power it was/is because the founding fathers got a great deal of the governing structure right. (a three sided federal power balance - executive/legislative/judicial, and sovereign states within that umbrella) its weakness is that it is (only in some respects cause there is a hidden power elite), a Democracy, and the problem with that we will discuss briefly next.

we like what Socrates had to say about the governance issue (see Plato's 'Republic') He held that Democracy was the second worst formation, (only tyranny is worse), as it is a government controlled by common people who have no training/talent for what is one of the most, if not the most, difficult 'occupations' or processes (governing) and it encourages/supports political power hungry types to promise anything to get the POWER, which they then always abuse/misuse/corrupt.
For Socrates, the best was a leader chosen unanimously who is actually wise, which he termed a King/Queen if one and a true Aristocracy if more than one. He pointed out that this was a possible but very unlikely scenario.
The second best was when the very best citizen available was unanimously given absolute power. that way everyone profited because the country was run better than they could do themselves. this again is almost impossible to achieve because it is almost impossible to get everyone to agree, which is a critical aspect as it ensures that there is no internal conflict. He said if a few disagreed that they should be banished from the country.

Everyone, in various ways, is looking for a HOME, not just a house and land. As K. put it, "do you ever feel really at home?" Thats more and first an Inner Journey than it is a physical one, no?

as to the gun issue, we feel it is idealistic to be absolutely against them, as even if you are enlightened, others won't be, and there will be no police force to protect you if you need to DEFEND yourselves/community in the worst case scenarios. (if you never need them where is the issue? if you need them, you better have them, no?)

blessings

don

Old 12-19-2007, 02:12 PM
Western Meadowlark

OH yes!

This is a wonderful discussion!

I agree that creating community is probably the best step.
I agree that you need some sort of "rules" or "government."
I agree that you should have an open mind and possibly embrace things you previously thought impossible or improbable.
I agree that attachment to people, places, things create more problems than solve them.
Old 12-20-2007, 02:07 PM
Hatchling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don View Post
Hey Guys;

looks like we need/needed this discussion, eh?

- will re-iterate - we need to go step by step and not get too far ahead. stick to principals.

it's vitally important, as we see it, to get our minds fluid and able to be objective/face facts, as they are revealed. most people won't be able to do that well, and will consequently fail to read the signs properly, (and there will be plenty of signals). the Jews in Germany in the early/mid 30's come to mind as an example.

the reason for that phenomena is that people look for a (FALSE) sense of security, and they find that in sticking with what they know (the status quo). as K. points out, "in a world/life that is always changing, there can actually be no security". man is the only animal which doesn't realize that FACT, (from natural intelligence) and so creates feelings of INSECURITY from the process of seeking that which is impossible (security).

also the other big factor is attachment to homes, jobs, family, friends who resist when the (harsh) FACTS are presented and apply pressure to not take action appropriate to the situation. (the classic "Lets wait and see what happens" attitude)

RowanC, thanx for your great input. you obviously have put lots of thought and experience into this. your advice on intentional communities is right on. EXTREMELY difficult, (if not impossible) to find. we believe it is something that in all probability needs to be CREATED, and that can only happen properly if a great many duckies can be lined up properly, (and your list refers to most of them.) we feel GOVERNANCE is the key. the US has become the power it was/is because the founding fathers got a great deal of the governing structure right. (a three sided federal power balance - executive/legislative/judicial, and sovereign states within that umbrella) its weakness is that it is (only in some respects cause there is a hidden power elite), a Democracy, and the problem with that we will discuss briefly next.

we like what Socrates had to say about the governance issue (see Plato's 'Republic') He held that Democracy was the second worst formation, (only tyranny is worse), as it is a government controlled by common people who have no training/talent for what is one of the most, if not the most, difficult 'occupations' or processes (governing) and it encourages/supports political power hungry types to promise anything to get the POWER, which they then always abuse/misuse/corrupt.
For Socrates, the best was a leader chosen unanimously who is actually wise, which he termed a King/Queen if one and a true Aristocracy if more than one. He pointed out that this was a possible but very unlikely scenario.
The second best was when the very best citizen available was unanimously given absolute power. that way everyone profited because the country was run better than they could do themselves. this again is almost impossible to achieve because it is almost impossible to get everyone to agree, which is a critical aspect as it ensures that there is no internal conflict. He said if a few disagreed that they should be banished from the country.

Everyone, in various ways, is looking for a HOME, not just a house and land. As K. put it, "do you ever feel really at home?" Thats more and first an Inner Journey than it is a physical one, no?

as to the gun issue, we feel it is idealistic to be absolutely against them, as even if you are enlightened, others won't be, and there will be no police force to protect you if you need to DEFEND yourselves/community in the worst case scenarios. (if you never need them where is the issue? if you need them, you better have them, no?)

blessings

don
Now, you're cooking with gas, Don!

Umm, sorry, uncooking with gas!

The society is desperately brainwashed with the "democratic" values and this itself is enough to prevent people to discover alternative ways of governance.
Like self-governance, for example.

While the modern propaganda is all over about Freedom, it is not something society and this planet in general needs. Traditionally, Order is the central principle of every functional society. Order, as a central,metaphysical-spiritual axis. Everything, every being, every system that is harmonic revolves around a central governing Order; seasons, planets, solar systems, galaxies, mandalas, all connected to the Axis (Tree of Life).

Democracy is the rule of the quantity. Once society loses it's relation points, it will become a "crowd" or with a better term, mass.A mass, that has no reference points, will immediately start to sink under it's weight. When the revolution is directed to the center, elements exist in harmony and through the verticality of the axis mankind will ascend. When mankind lost the focus of the axis (tradition), the revolutions are directed to the peripheries. When such a mass loses the momentum, dissolution begins. Everything will become thin, worthless, volatile, temporary etc. This is the descent.

These concepts are much better explained by the Yuga system of the Hindus.
We are in the Kali-Yuga, where the axis (metaphysical traditions) is not manifesting directly. It is manifesting through the avatars (Christ, Buddha, Mohamed etc.) but even their teachings became over-diluted to trace ourselves back to the axis.

We need to re-invent our original selves. We need to re-invent our archaic
methods and activate all information encoded in our DNA about ourselves.
Old 12-20-2007, 07:13 PM
Western Meadowlark

Umm

The United States of America is not a Democracy.
It is a Republic.
Old 12-22-2007, 04:01 PM
Hummingbird - Caretaker

Quote:
The United States of America is not a Democracy.
It is a Republic.
RowanC, can you tell us what the difference is, in your view?

don

Old 12-22-2007, 09:27 PM
Western Meadowlark

Quote:
Originally Posted by RowanC View Post
Well, it would take a lot of space, but in short, a democracy means "Majority Rules." Always... no matter what. There is nothing set in place to keep the majority from taking advantage.

In a Republic, supposedly, we have better representation.

However, we all saw what happened in the last election, which was stolen FROM the majority candidate. Because we are BECOMING a strange type of Democracy, which has a lot of people in an uproar here. We have a small MINORITY of RICH MEN who hold power in this country leading us down the garden path. We're ripe for a civil war!

Here are a couple of websites that address this difference in theory:

http://www.lexrex.com/enlightened/Am...ts/demrep.html
http://www.lexrex.com/enlightened/Am...ts/demrep.html
http://www.tmra2.org/images/democracyvsrepublic.pdf

If you do a google search, there are many websites and essays to read on the topic.
Old 12-23-2007, 11:09 AM
Hummingbird - Caretaker

Quote:
Well, it would take a lot of space, but in short, a democracy means "Majority Rules." Always... no matter what. There is nothing set in place to keep the majority from taking advantage.

In a Republic, supposedly, we have better representation.

However, we all saw what happened in the last election, which was stolen FROM the majority candidate. Because we are BECOMING a strange type of Democracy, which has a lot of people in an uproar here. We have a small MINORITY of RICH MEN who hold power in this country leading us down the garden path. We're ripe for a civil war!
Excellent, RowanC, thank you. we believe you are correct about the rich (men, no women?) actually having power (worldwide, BTW). we call them the (hidden) Power Elite. It is the weakness of people regarding MONEY which gives them the power, and that has always been in effect in all recorded history.(common people can be bought, yes)

That is why no form of government where 'the people' have power, can work. (in effect, for the best government, the 'people' must unanimously and voluntarily give over their power to their SELECTED BEST.)

Currently, under the guise of elected government, the 'Power Elite' have TAKEN the power by actually controlling the elected government.

blessings

don

Old 12-23-2007, 11:39 AM
Western Meadowlark

Women

Well, I suppose I could add women to the list of the Elite, but honestly, it's mostly an Old Boys' Club here.... women still are not welcome
Old 12-26-2007, 09:33 PM
luckitri

This is a great thread. What can someone like me who no longer has resource to do anything do?

I am glad to see you all discussing this because it has been on my mind alot and no-one to talk with or learn from and my husband refuses to allow the negativity as he calls it. I call it planning realistically. Don wrote about it on another thread with different terms but mentioning that stability and security has always been an illusion.

I figure that if you plan for the worst and it doesn't happen then you can be pleasantly surprised.

RowanC, I was looking at communities in my state last year on-line. They all seem to be needing a cash infusion - just very needy and none of them looked appealing at all. Hope the one you got to was not here in AZ. PM me please if it was?
Old 12-27-2007, 07:40 AM
Western Meadowlark

Somewhere on here

Somewhere on here is a thread I posted with about a thousand links.
A person who had "no resources" could do a LOT of reading because when TSHTF, there is going to be a need for someone with knowledge of how to survive, and such a person could trade their skills and knowledge for goods.
Old 12-30-2007, 07:25 PM
luckitri

Maps

I would like to mention maps because if THSHTHF (hope I did that right) and there is a military crackdown of some type and you still have a vehicle you may want to know the alternate routes since the major ones will possibly be monitored or even shut down to all but military traffic.

So forest service roads, roads on private land, all alternate routes, even 1-way dirt roads may be necessary to get you where you want to go so acquiring maps that show you where they all are and how they connect to each other will be mandatory if you are using a vehicle that can traverse them.

Since I have not been able to build the property that I always wanted I am glad that I have no property to be attached to - so I can be fluid and just move on. . . . because I know that even in this massive suburbia of central Arizona things will get very nasty very fast. Just hope I have the good sense to know when the time is as well as the health to move on. With young boys around we have not had weapons but I still do wish to acquire some including cross bow. I have no problem with having weapons because the criminals all have them and I need an equalizer. I've had a gun to my head before and lived through it - if there is a next time I plan on being prepared because nowadays they just kill you for any little thing. Weapons in the right hands - very good. End of story.
Old 01-26-2008, 11:07 PM
Mute Swan

Hmmm, good idea Luckitri about the maps
Old 01-27-2008, 07:59 PM
African Grey

do you think we'll be able to even use our vehicles? will we be able to get gas? will our vehicles be confiscated?

i'd like to have maps that show water sources....what are those called? topography? we might have to hike to safety, and it could be miles through the woods or desert. for sure we won't be able to stick to the main highways.

one of the posts mentioned that we should sell our house....why? we are trying to pay off our land so that we can pull together a communal living area for those who need it. we've planted fruit and nut trees. we are learning how to garden; failing i might add, but learning something new every year. we're hoping to wether it out right here.

and yeh, i think we'll need weapons to protect our very community. think about what happens in harsh times to our women; our little girls. we'll have to be able to defend ourselves.
Old 01-27-2008, 08:00 PM
African Grey

rowan,

your list is great! why did you choose to stop living communly?

Raw Freedom Community > Economy and Finance In Crisis > Economy, Finance & Investing