Raw Freedom Community  

Advertisement

Go Back   Raw Freedom Community > Sunny Raw Lifestyle > Living 'In The Raw'

Living 'In The Raw' The place to discuss All-Things-Raw! From transitioning to the Raw Food Diet, to equipment, special techniques and more.

Old 03-25-2009, 05:56 AM
Hatchling

Thanks everyone.

I have been doing a lot of fasting and keeping my ''window'' of eating between 1-3 hours, it is helping.
I have had a few days where i have only eaten = 400g of kale 4 tomatoes 50g of hemp seeds and 1 avocado for my main meal and i have had a green juice 30mins - 1hour before this meal, and i have actually felt good.
But the next day i do have problems with energy levels and dont really feel like doing anything active,
Maybe i will get used to it ?
Or maybe i just need more food
I have also been experementing with cooked foods i.e. potatoes which are filling and feel good but they do quite often bring on food cravings which i don't like.
Also i have tryed fruits but they are worst than potatoes and raise my blood sugar levels up to much.
I really wan't to keep it 100% raw if i can,
Today i bought a Load of tomatoes so i think tomorrow i will try eating the usual kale, hemp seeds and 1 avocado and also have maybe 6-8 tomatoes this time for the extra calories and carbs, that may help.
With the green juice before hand of course.

Take Care,
Paul.
Old 03-25-2009, 06:06 AM
Meadowlark

Make sure you're getting enough calories, and not overdoing it too much on fat... Maybe track your food intake for a few days and see where you're at? Next to that, write down how you felt that day and the next, and you might see a pattern.
Old 03-25-2009, 07:06 AM
Hatchling

Thanks Velvet,
It's difficult to get enough calories when watching the fat intake and also not eating sweet fruits, unless adding cooked foods.
Im at the stage now when i am eating 1 avocado and 50g of hemp seeds a day and wondering wheather that is to much fat ?
its about 27g of fat for the avocado
and 15g of fat in the seeds.
I think thats fine but when im eating low calories the % of fat is actually quite high.
I think the extra tomatoes and also if i can add some more greens might do the trick for my energy levels.
And also letting my body get used to eating low calories, which will be great.

Cheers,
Paul
Old 03-25-2009, 07:26 AM
Swallow

Is that all you are eating? That doesn't sound like nearly enough - maybe one meal, but I eat 3 of those a day, plus have snacks. Although I don't eat nearly that much fat. I like salad dressings so most of the time I use oil, so I can speak for that but about 3 Tbsp oil is about 30% of my calories.

I'm also wondering if you are getting enough protein. That's where I really struggle - getting that protein and the B-12 and enough iron. I know everyone says you can get it from a raw food diet, but I'm not finding it easy to get the level of protein I need raw, in a reasonable calorie, reasonable fat way.

The reason I'm not 100% raw is due to adding a low calorie, low fat cooked vegan protein to my meals. I choose seitan as it adds iron as well, some zinc ... I'm still working on the B-12, but now am making my own seitan recipes and adding nutritional yeast, in addition to taking a vegan daily multivitamin.

Anyway, each of my salads are about 5 cups leafy greens (sometimes more), then another 2 cups other veggies like broccoli, tomatoes, onions, peppers, asparagus, jicama, tomatillos, zucchini plus then some things like sprouts, cucumber, celery, mushrooms. For salad dressing I use 1 Tbsp oil, then 2 Tbsp citrus juice, and any other salt or other flavorings I want. Periodically I use olives and avocado in place of the oil, or add nuts or seeds and decrease the oil. I try to work in these other foods - I just have to do it right so I stay at 30% fat.

I make some wraps, some soups, some smoothies, and I want to experiment with sandwiches, but mostly the salads is what I eat, and feel best eating. With the other foods obviously I won't quite have that, but a wrap with cabbage, mangos, peppers and a nut butter in a huge collard leaf is similar.

There are several free online nutrition trackers - you might want to find one and plug your foods in there and see what you're eating. I know we're supposed to eat intuitively, but I find I do best when I track my food and make sure I'm getting the right balance of everything. It's very easy for me to not get enough protein, zinc, iron, even carbs and calories sometimes if I don't pay attention. Left on my own, I tend to run 30% fewer of everything than I need to function at my best, leaving me tired, lethargic, unable to really function well, unable to really do anything. Frankly, I'm tired, sleepy, all day long but then when bedtime comes around I can't get to sleep.

I have gone back to tracking after going "Intuitive" for a couple weeks, and I feel ever so much better.
Old 03-25-2009, 08:02 AM
Hatchling

Hi Rowan,

Thats a lot of food you eat

I just put mine through fitday and im getting =

920cals
37g protein
41.2g fat
122.9g carbs

38% fat
12% protein
50% carbs

All the vitamins and minerals look very good or ok,
Selinium is low,

I don't see a problem with taking vitamin tablets as well as eating well.

Im actually surprised at the % of fat i thought it would be higher than that and the total cals are about what i expected,
I think my body could get used to the low cals after a little while.

Take Care,
Paul.
Old 03-25-2009, 11:47 AM
Swallow

I dont' think that's nearly enough calories.

I eat well over 1500 calories a day, and I'm getting 30% fat. I don't think our bodies are designed to live on such a small amount of calories, even though we're getting a lot out of the raw food we do eat.

I would SERIOUSLY encourage you to eat more. That's one of the benefits of raw, is we can eat lots and lots and lots.

And I know what I eat seems like a lot - it was overwhelming when I first started going raw and someone mentioned that to me (they ate even more). But truly I thrive on it.

And 37 grams protein may be reasonable in the raw food worlds, I simply cannot go that low protein. As I mentioned, I need around 100. I'm on other sites where we discuss health and fitness, and many people talk about being dizzy, spacy, tired and sluggish and a lot of it (once you get enough calories which many people say is 1200 minimum for basic, basic, nutritional needs) is when the increase their protein, they feel so much better! And iron can really play a role, I've been really sluggish until I increased my iron.

I'm really surprised at the amount of carbs you're getting with your low calories - from grains? I eat about that many carbs from more calories, but rarely eat grains. I feel better when I don't.
Old 03-25-2009, 12:15 PM
Hatchling

Hi Rowan,

The kale has lots of carbs, and the tomatoes have a fair bit and the rest adds up alos.

Im surprised we are at the same amount of carbs ?
Not sure how that works, I guess the greens your eating is lettice and not kale e.t.c.
Do you eat broccolie raw ? and zucchini ?
I guess they add up to a lot of calories ?

Cheers,
Paul
Old 03-25-2009, 02:59 PM
Swallow

Well volume definitely makes a difference. If I'm eating 5 cups kale, 1 cup tomato, 1/2 cup bell pepper, 1/3 cup onion, 2 cloves garlic, 1/3 cup zucchini that's going to add up to more carbs than a couple cups kale and a bit of tomato.

And in any given week I eat all kinds of raw things, maybe not every thing every week, but I eat a wide variety of veggies in each salad, and all week long, things like:

Kale
Collards
Spinach
Mache
Tomatoes
Asparagus
Onions
Peppers of all kinds
Garlic
Leek
All kinds of other leafy greens like various lettuce, sorrel, purslane, mitzuna, dandelion
Cabbage
Cauliflower
Broccoli (and other things in that family like broccoli raab, romanesco)
Cactus
Brussels Sprouts
Green onions
Shallots

Gosh, I can't even think of all the things I eat, and those are just some of the veggies. That's not the fruit, or healthy fats!

I do admit I get some calories from my cooked seitan. I simply cannot get enough protein in a way that works for me (yet) in raw form, so definitely some calories from that.

Raw Freedom Community > Sunny Raw Lifestyle > Living 'In The Raw'