Raw Freedom Community  

Advertisement

Go Back   Raw Freedom Community > Sunny Raw Lifestyle > Raw Food Preparation - General

Raw Food Preparation - General Share and learn about raw food prep, ingredients, recipes and tips.

Old 08-11-2009, 08:43 AM
Hatchling

Unhulled Buckwheat

Hi All,
I was wondering if there's a difference between unhulled buckwheat and buckwheat groats. I'll soon be making my first raw pizza crust and wanted to make sure I have it right.

Reading over posts, it seemed that folks were first sprouting the unhulled buckwheat, but I saw a good tip about just soaking groats instead. I hope they're the same thing! I bought the unhulled buckwheat and I'm hoping they will still work to just soak.

If they're not the same, I'd love to hear what I can do with the unhulled buckwheat.

Thanks!

Sarah
Old 08-12-2009, 07:52 AM
Hatchling

Hulled Versus Unhulled Buckwheat

The terms "unhulled" and "hulled" cause a lot of confusion. I've seen the terms used interchangeably online.

In sprouting books they are defined as below:

Unhulled - Whole seeds, which include the outer seed casing.
Hulled - Seeds with the casing removed.

You would use hulled seeds for pizza crusts. You can just soak the buckwheat or soak, drain and sprout until it has tails.

The black buckwheat hulls are NOT edible. Unhulled buckwheat is planted in soil or other soilless medium to grow buckwheat greens/lettuce.

More info with pictures:

Hulled Buckwheat: http://www.sproutpeople.com/seed/bwgroats.html

Unhulled Buckwheat: http://www.sproutpeople.com/seed/bwlettuce.html
Old 08-15-2009, 07:35 AM
Hatchling

Thanks very much! I did see a couple recipes for crust with sprouted buckwheat. Am I right that they sprouted the unhulled and then blended it up? Here's one I saw on this site. I'm hoping I can use my unhulled buckwheat and next time I'll just get the hulled type.

Veggie Herb Pizza Crust
2 cups Sprouted buckwheat
2 zucchinis (2 cups)
onion powder
1-2 cloves garlic
Braggs (or salt for those who don't do Braggs)
1 1/2 teaspoon herbs de provence
1/2 - 3/4 cup ground flax
1 tablespoon oil

Process until a dough-like consistency is reached. Add more or less flax, as needed.

Form into pizza crusts and dehydrate.
Old 08-15-2009, 07:45 AM
Hummingbird - Caretaker

Hum, I would think that unhulled buckwheat would refer to buckwheat in a dark shell, the type that is used to grow sprouts. For all my recipes, including the one you posted, oelkesm, I always use hulled buckwheat.

I guess it would also be good to clarify that 'sprouted buckwheat' in recipes often refer to hulled buckwheat only soaked overnight.

Hope this helps!

Last edited by Carmella : 08-15-2009 at 07:48 AM.
Old 08-15-2009, 05:29 PM
Hatchling

The soaked hulled buckwheat is similiar to the flour and water mixture in a cooked pizza crust. Unhulled buckwheat does not have the same properties. The hull (shell) is hard and fiberous and it would not break down. You would have pieces of hull in your finished crust. I don't think it would be good for our digestive systems to eat a large quantity of buckwheat hulls.

I found more pictures that may clear things up.

Hulled buckwheat soaked and then sprouted.
http://therawkitchen.blogspot.com/20...ic-treats.html
Hulled buckwheat can be used after the soaking stage or sprouted until it has tails. Depends on the time you have and personal preference. Once you get hulled buckwheat, try it both ways to see which you like best.

Unhulled buckwheat (scroll down to day 7 to see the lettuce)
http://www.flickr.com/photos/meganpru/3485405034/

Hope this helps

Raw Freedom Community > Sunny Raw Lifestyle > Raw Food Preparation - General