Raw Freedom Community  

Advertisement

Go Back   Raw Freedom Community > Green Guide: Saving Our Planet One Choice at a Time > Green And Sustainable Living > Green and Sustainable Living General

Green and Sustainable Living General Discuss Energy Efficient Appliances, Healthy Home Furnishings, Recycling, How To Reduce Your Footprint, Self-Sustainability and More!

Old 09-02-2007, 12:34 PM
Finch

Thumbs up Where to Buy items NOT MADE IN CHINA

Here is a list of American Made Toys... I blogged about it here, go there to get all the links.

American Made TOYS:

Roy Toy Blocks - Made in ME

The Loon Tune - Made in MN

Vermont Teddy Bear - Handmade in Vermont

Whittle Shortline Railroad - 100% Made in the USA, 90% Made in St. Louis! (Even the paint!) I LOVE THIS PLACE!!!! I am very happy with this company, I spoke with them directly.

ToodleCakes Cardtable Playhouse - Made in FL

Our Greenhouse Toys - Made in USA, Some GREAT toys here! They even personally test the toys they sell! (they have some toys made in Germany, which has higher standards than USA) I am very happy with this company, I spoke with them directly.

Fat Brain Toys - Select Made in USA Toys

Uncle Goose Toys - Made in MI

Holgate Toys - Made in USA

Maple Landmark Woodcraft - Made in VT

WillowTree Toys - Made in USA

Basic Brown Bear Company - Made in CA

'Em Bears - Made in NY

Kathy's Kreations - Made in AZ

Elves and Angels - Made in ME

Stack and Stick Blocks - Made in IN

Tag Toys - Made in CA

Wild Apples - Made in NY

Channel Craft - Made in USA

Ameritrains - Made in IL

My Very Own Rattle Teething Toy - Made in VT

Nico & Zoe - Made in USA

BEKA - Made in MN

Green Toys - Made in USA - bioplastic made of CORN!!!

All American Toy Company - Made in OR

Marble King - Made in WV

Keva Planks - Made in USA (Distributed in VA, Factory made in OH)

Little Colorado - Made in Denver, CO: I spoke with them directly, what a GREAT company!

Fairy Finery - Made in MN

Rolli-Rider - Made in USA

D and Me - Made in MT

Real Wooden Toys - Made in TN , I have some of these toys (Rattle, Whistling pipes & Musical pipe, Shaker Noise Maker, Carved pipe) and the kids LOVE them! I like this company lots!

Here is a list of other toys to buy in stores that should be American made:

Battleship• Bicycle Playing Cards• Boggle Jr.• Candyland• Chutes and Ladders• Clue• Connect Four• Life• Louisville Slugger• Monopoly• Mouse Trap• Operation• Parcheesi• Pop-O-Matic Trouble• Radio Flyer Discovery Wagon• Scrabble• Sorry• Stratego• Tri-ominos• Trivial Pursuit• Yahtzee• Melissa and Doug U.S.A. Floor Puzzle (Most puzzles are made in the USA!)
Old 09-02-2007, 01:00 PM
Finch

Thumbs up American Made Vacuum Cleaners: ORECK VACUUMS

I just got off the phone with the people at Oreck Vacuums. They are MADE IN USA -- right in Tennessee. All the parts are American Made and Assembled in America. He was very helpful, and even recommended a great vacuum for my needs (carpet & hardwood).

Give them a call when you decide to replace your vacuum (mine, a DIRT DEVIL is MADE IN CHINA): 1-800-289-5888
Old 09-02-2007, 01:25 PM
Finch

Post Coffee Makers - Bunn, Assembled in USA

I found this about coffeemakers, for all you lovers of Java!

Quote:
There’s Only One American Coffeemaker - Bunn
Our Buy American Mention of the Week!
by Roger Simmermaker
December 6, 2004

There are many areas where it is increasingly difficult to buy American, and one of those areas is the category of small appliances. My Toastmaster toaster oven, Proctor-Silex toaster and Rival crock-pot, for instance, are made in USA, but it seems these companies have moved their production of these items offshore.

I’m not a coffee drinker, but if I was, I would definitely buy a Bunn coffeemaker. Bunn is an American company based in Springfield, Illinois, and all Bunn coffeemakers are assembled in the USA. Every other brand of coffee maker you could name makes their products overseas - usually in China.

Admittedly, "Assembled in USA" is not as good as "Made in USA," but since Bunn is the only game in town, it makes sense to support them over the competition. "Made in USA" means that either "all or virtually all" parts and labor for a given product must be American (the unwritten percentage rule is 98%). "Assembled in USA" means that a product is comprised of foreign and domestic components, but the final assembly is done in this country by American workers.

Back in 1997, the Federal Trade Commission proposed changes to what it means to label a product "Made in USA," and they proposed to change the unwritten rule of 98% American parts and labor to 75%, citing "global economic trends." This would have meant that the "all or virtually all" standard would have been wiped off the books, and a company would now be able to get away with up to 25% foreign parts and labor and still label their product "Made in USA."

Many organizations from labor unions, consumer advocacy groups and even the United States Congress rallied against the proposal as the Federal Trade Commission allowed public comments from all sides on the matter. You can view my official comment to the FTC on June 6, 1997 here: www.ftc.gov/opp/madeusa2/c150.htm. Fortunately, there was enough of a public outcry and the proposal was canned.

If Bunn is using American workers to both produce and assemble their products, it makes sense to channel our dollars to support those American workers since they command higher wages and other factors of American production absent in other countries like unemployment compensation, pensions, vacation, sick leave, and other benefits. We are not just supporting higher wages and therefore a higher standard of living in this country. We are supporting the foundation and infrastructure in this country to pay for the things that "We, the People" have demanded from our government. Only American workers pay taxes to America. The foreign producer, as President William McKinley once put it in, "...contributes nothing to the support, the progress, and the glory of the nation."

Many times, buying American does not cost more, but you might expect to pay a little more for the made in USA product in this case. You’ll also have the peace of mind knowing that as you stay up late drinking coffee and wrapping all those Christmas presents for your loved ones nearby, you’ll be enabling American workers elsewhere to earn the paychecks necessary to make a nice Christmas for their loved ones, too. Especially at this time of year, knowing that is enough to make spending a few extra dollars worth it.

Here is a link to BUNN at Home. I have not spoken to them to know if they are still assembled in USA.
Old 09-02-2007, 01:31 PM
Finch

Lightbulb Vintage Electric Small Kitchen Appliances MADE IN USA

This is a cool site to browse through if you like Vintage Stuff!

http://www.toastercentral.com/appliance1.htm

http://www.toastercentral.com/poppers.htm
Old 09-02-2007, 01:36 PM
Finch

Post Article: "It's tough to find products solely 'Made in USA' "

It's tough to find products solely 'Made in USA'
By The Associated Press
Monday, July 2, 2007

SIOUX FALLS, S.D. -- Poisoned pet food. Seafood laced with potentially dangerous antibiotics. Toothpaste tainted with an ingredient in antifreeze. Tires missing a key safety component.
U.S. shoppers may be forgiven if they are becoming leery of Chinese-made goods and are trying to fill their shopping carts with products free of ingredients from that country.

The trouble is, that may be almost impossible.

Chinese exports have been in the spotlight since the deaths of dogs and cats in North America attributed to tainted Chinese wheat gluten, followed by this week's recall of Chinese-made radial tires and an alert Thursday by the Food and Drug Administration, warning about contaminated Chinese seafood.

My family hit some stores to see how difficult it would it be for the average consumer to avoid the "Made in China" label -- even for just a week.
My sons' well-worn sneakers were starting to resemble sandals, so our family headed to the Empire Mall in Sioux Falls in search of a couple of cheap pairs to get the boys, ages 10 and 12, through the summer.

The quest began in the J.C. Penney shoe department. We soon found out this was going to be no easy task: Adidas, made in China; Sketchers, made in China; Reebok, made in China.

We finally found some New Balance shoes, and I recalled reading that the company still makes some running shoes in the United States. The first few said "Made in China," but we then spotted three adult styles marked "Made in the USA of imported materials."

That sounded as close as we could get, so I asked my 12-year-old which of the three he liked.

"This one," he said, pointing to the $75 shoe he'll likely outgrow in months.

"Let's keep looking," I said.

We headed to a couple of other shoe stores -- Famous Footwear and Payless -- and found several other styles of sneakers mostly made in China.

Famous Footwear had one U.S.-made New Balance sneaker on sale for $40, but my oldest didn't like the color combination so we moved on. I guess those well-worn sneakers can last another week until this little experiment ends.

To be sure, some of the products were made in other Asian nations -- including Indonesia -- but their exports have not been called into question as China's have.

Shopping for non China-made groceries at our local Hy-Vee grocery store seemed to be presenting few challenges, but it turned out to be more of a case of blissful ignorance than well-informed consumerism.

Products in nonfood aisles communicated their origins better than their edible counterparts. Labels of Suave shampoo, Dial hand soap, Kleenex tissues, Ziploc bags, Solo cups, Bounty napkins, Tide laundry detergent, SOS pads and Dawn dish detergent all read "Made in USA," although none of the labels got specific about the ingredients.

Toothpaste was a bit more confusing -- a concern considering some brands toothpaste made in China were recently found to contain a chemical called diethylene glycol, which is used to make antifreeze.

AquaFresh said "Made in USA" right on the box, but boxes of Crest and Colgate named only the companies that distributed the product, Procter & Gamble Co. and Colgate-Palmolive Co. respectively.

Procter and Gamble on its Web site says the Crest toothpaste found in stores is made in North America, not China. Colgate-Palmolive on its site says Colgate toothpaste is safe regardless of where the company manufactures it.

The labels on most food products we looked at were of little help.

The 2002 Farm Bill passed by Congress mandated country-of-origin labeling for seafood, beef, lamb, pork, fish, fruits, vegetables and peanuts, but the Bush administration has delayed its implementation for everything except seafood until October 2008.

Some fruits and vegetables sported voluntary stickers, but shoppers should consider the calendar when shopping for produce, as stores get a lot of fresh fruits and vegetables from Central and South America during winter months.

None of the sweets in the candy aisle said "Made in China," but most are likely made with at least one ingredient that originated there, said William Hubbard, a former U.S. Food and Drug Administration official.

Candy wrappers typically list just the U.S. distributor of the products, so label readers can't determine the origin of the vanillin found in a Nestle Crunch bar, the carageenan in a Baby Ruth or the gum arabic in a pack of Mentos.

Those three ingredients, and numerous other flavoring and preservative additives, commonly come from Chinese companies, Hubbard said.

"The cocoa might come from another country and the sugar might be American, so you're not going to get a country of origin on that product," Hubbard said.

Companies in China produce about 80 percent of the world's wheat gluten, common in most breads, cakes and cookies, and 80 percent of its sorbic acid, a preservative used in just about everything, he said.

We found a bit of irony in the ethnic food section, where a box of Golden Bowl fortune cookies and a bag of Kokuho Rose Rice brand sushi rice both sported "Product of USA" labels.

My boys have been asking to get their own tennis rackets -- ours look like they once belonged to Bjorn Borg and Chris Evert -- so we headed to a couple of sporting goods stores and Wal-Mart.

All of the rackets we found were made in China, but at least we were able to pick up a can of Penn tennis balls that were made in America.

We moved a couple aisles down to Wal-Mart's toy section and found tons of products originating in China, including action figures, vehicles, stuffed animals and games.

Packages of Hot Wheels miniature cars, once a U.S.-made icon, now read, "Made in China, Malaysia or Thailand as marked." Matchbox cars hail from either China or Thailand.

The classic capitalist board game Monopoly still qualifies, though with a caveat. "Made in the USA with dice and tokens made in China," the box reads.

At least a deck of Bicycle playing cards is still homegrown, although we'll have to switch our game to rummy as the cribbage board was born in China.

With the Fourth of July approaching, I decided to check out the store's display of U.S. flags and found that all were domestic, with the exception of one style made in China.

I knew the small appliance section would likely be a lost cause for this quest, but I decided to take a look. All of the toasters and all but one of the coffee makers originated in China. A Bunn 10-cup professional brewer said it was assembled in the United States, but it was priced in the higher end of Wal-Mart's selection.

Hubbard said all consumers receive value from the ubiquity of Chinese-made appliances, but when it comes to food products and ingredients, companies need to be more vigilant in tracking their supply chains.

"Unfortunately, in the case of foods and drugs, there's a safety issue on top of the quality issue," Hubbard said. "If the toaster doesn't work you just take it back to Wal-Mart and they give you another one. But if the food is unsafe, that's a different matter."
Old 09-02-2007, 02:07 PM
Finch

Arrow Hamilton Beach Model 911 Commercial Bar Blender

Hamilton Beach Model 911 Commercial Bar Blender.
By: Hamilton Beach

Our Price: $209.99

Hamilton Beach model 911 features a 1/2 gallon stainless steel container with a two piece vinyl lid and an easy access handle. Four stainless steel cutting and mixing blades ensure perfectly smooth drinks with no unwanted ice or fruit chunks. A two year warranty provides protection that only the best can offer. Motor: 1/2 Hp.
Old 09-02-2007, 02:29 PM
Chickadee

What about fair-trade goods.

www.thailandtradingcompany.com for purses, bags, jewelry, and art
Old 09-03-2007, 11:14 AM
Swallow

i guess i should be really glad that my cousin always liked to scare me away from my toys, when i was younger. so i never really played w/ toys & neither does my baby brother. toy problem solved... but my food?

i started growing plants indoors. so i shall see about the food situation.

Old 09-03-2007, 04:06 PM
Finch

Thumbs up New Clothes

I went to the Mall today to find some clothes that were made in America. VERY HARD. But, The Buckle had TONS!!!

They have Lucky brand jeans, BKE Brand jeans and other stuff, and lots more. Ask a sales associate, and you can just go into a dressing room, and they will bring you a selection of everything MADE IN USA in your size. I LOVE IT! I will shop here for quite sometime, I think.

I have never been in here before, I always thoguht it was too expensive. but, if it is made in the USA, that is why the prices are higher. You can still get some good deals on the sales rack, though.

Funny tidbit -- nothing in American Eagle is made in America.
Old 09-04-2007, 09:06 AM
Swallow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raw Vegan Mama View Post

Funny tidbit -- nothing in American Eagle is made in America.
oh my! ok. i don't shop there anyway, & i haven't bought clothes for myself in a while b/c my weight is forever changing... i'm waiting for the weight to settle before i march out. next time i go to the mall, i have to check out charlotte russe.

Old 09-04-2007, 11:54 AM
White Bird

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonstone View Post
What about fair-trade goods.

www.thailandtradingcompany.com for purses, bags, jewelry, and art
I'm with you, Moonstone.

peace,
misotrue
Old 05-22-2010, 05:20 AM
White Bird

Then there's this... American Apparel | Fashionable Basics. Sweatshop Free. Made in USA

http://www.americanapparel.net/contact/

Last edited by misotrue : 05-22-2010 at 05:23 AM.
Old 05-22-2010, 05:25 AM
White Bird

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyfmbi View Post
Why buy items NOT MADE IN CHINA? MADE IN CHINA is so cheap and good.
I'm not a fan of cheap goods. Plus we need the jobs here in America.
Old 10-09-2011, 01:14 AM
Hatchling

USA made toaster :) :) :)

FANTASTIC NEWS- THERE IS A NOW A USA MADE TOASTER!!!!!!!! After a very long search, I found a reference to an American made wide slot toaster: http://www.toastercentral.com/tron.htm. Toaster Central refurbishes vintage toasters out of New York, and he recently got an exclusive contract to sell a 2 slot toaster made by Hobart. Hobart is one of two companies that I found (the other is Star) who make American made commercial toasters; they are huge and designed for restaurants, though they might work for some open-minded folks. However, Hobart is now making a 2-slot wide-slot toaster sold through Toaster Central! I think it is safe to say that this is the ONLY USA made consumer toaster (vs. commercial toasters) out there! Of course, if you're wanting to go old school, you can also check out Toaster Central's vintage/refurbished toasters. Or there is this handy-dandy Pioneer Folding Toaster (USA made) I found as well: http://www.jacobbromwell.com/pioneer-folding-toaster. Apparently there was a period of several years where there really weren't any (except those two commercial toaster companies above!). I'm hoping that he'll get flooded with orders and that this will motivate an American manufacturer to jump back here from China OR Hobart can keep making tons of these commercial toasters! Yay!!!

Raw Freedom Community > Green Guide: Saving Our Planet One Choice at a Time > Green And Sustainable Living > Green and Sustainable Living General