Raw Freedom Community  

Advertisement

Go Back   Raw Freedom Community > Sunny Raw Lifestyle > Health & Nutrition

Old 11-24-2010, 07:24 AM
Hatchling

Question Is Frontier nutritional yeast MSG free??

I just called Frontier to see if they could back up that big statement of theirs (they claim that they process their nutritional yeast at low temperatures which supposedly allows it to be MSG free). However, when I called the company, the customer service representative did not have a basic understanding about free glutamic acid and we got nowhere with her. She kept reading me their general claim about being MSG free. However, when I explained to her that nutritional yeast does not normally have added MSG and that it has never been a problem with nutritional yeasts, but does contain free glutamic acid as a by-product of processing she had no answer for me. She said someone would give me a call next week. We will see what they say. Something tells me it is just another fraud claim.
Anybody happened to get to the bottom of this non-MSG claim of theirs?

yulia

Last edited by yulia : 11-24-2010 at 07:48 AM.
Old 11-24-2010, 08:42 AM
Chickadee

Didn't Bragg's go through something similar with their Liquid Aminos? Where they had to change their labels from saying MSG-free because of the natural glutamates?

IDK, I'm on the fence about nutritional yeast---and well natural glutamates in general, and for the time being am eating stuff with it.

Keep us posted, please.

Thanks,

Mary Kay
Old 11-24-2010, 11:11 AM
Hatchling

Well, glutamic acid is almost in everything we eat. However, usually it is not a problem. For example, when you eat a steake you'd get glutamic acid among other amino acids in the meat. Some of them, like glutamic acid will excite your brain, others will relax it. In most foods amino acids work together, in balance. However, free glutamic acid when it is out of propotion with other amino acids is an excito-toxin. It over-excites the brain to the point when brain cells could get damaged or even die. When you process soy and yeast free glutamic acid is being released.

So, I don't know whether slow heat would make it release less of it or not, that is what I'm trying to find out. When we were learning about MSG in my nutrition school we were told that processed soy and yeast always release free glutamic acid. Therefore, I was very surprised to see the non-MSG statement of theirs. Frontier claims that and so do their retailers http://www.earthincommon.com/frontie...east-p-72.html
Old 12-04-2010, 05:11 PM
Hatchling

Thumbs down

got to talk to them and nope their nutritional yeast is not very different from any other ny on the market. they said they do not add MSG (duh, I don't think ANY brand of ny has MSG added to it), but they have no control over naturally occuring free glutamate. Bleh, another false claim...
Old 12-06-2010, 06:20 PM
Chickadee

So, Yulia,

Do you believe that the glutamates in nutritional yeast are too numerous to be considered natural?

Just curious. I'm on the fence about nutritional yeast, and hate to give it up, even though we only use it occasionally!

Mary Kay
Old 12-07-2010, 06:18 AM
Hatchling

Quote:
Originally Posted by marykays1 View Post
So, Yulia,

Do you believe that the glutamates in nutritional yeast are too numerous to be considered natural?

Just curious. I'm on the fence about nutritional yeast, and hate to give it up, even though we only use it occasionally!

Mary Kay
I too am on the fence . I stopped giving it to my kids because they have developed a strong addiction to ny VERY quickly. it was like this: they came from their school saying they had millet with ny for a snack and they wanted me to cook it for them as well. I did. First it was just a sprinkle of ny on the millet. Then they said they wanted to have it for breakfast every day. I thought "fine" and agreed to that. Next day they asked for three times more ny on their millet. Literally the day after that they said they wanted as much of ny on their millet as possible (a very thick layer which rather made it ny with millet and not the other way around). The next day they spend half an hour screaming and arguing who has more ny on their millet, asking for more (while there was already plenty). That was the last time I gave them ny. To me, this is a very clear symptom of MGS action. I might be wrong, maybe they just liked the taste of it (there is always that possibility too). But when I asked myself if it was worth the risk, I honestly did not think it was. I think I could provide them with the needed vitamins/minerals without feeding them dead fungus.
Old 09-20-2011, 03:10 AM
Hatchling

Quote:
Originally Posted by yulia View Post
I just called Frontier to see if they could back up that big statement of theirs (they claim that they process their nutritional yeast at low temperatures which supposedly allows it to be MSG free). However, when I called the company, the customer service representative did not have a basic understanding a
Anybody happened to get to the bottom of this non-MSG claim of theirs?

yulia
One of my friend tried out this. Actually, the nutritional yeast is grown from molasses, is processed at low temperatures, and is packed with B vitamins and minerals. And Don't confuse nutritional yeast, which is deactivated, with active forms of yeast, like the kinds bakers, brewers, and winemakers use. This nutritional yeast will not contribute to candida growth. It dissolves easily and is recommended for people of all ages. It has a pleasant-tasting, nutty flavor and can be used directly on vegetables, baked potatoes, popcorn and other foods as a condiment. I think that's the reason why it's recommended.
Old 11-07-2011, 01:44 PM
Hatchling

Wink NY and MSG

Fasinating to read about this. I expect there is a wide range of ways folks might be effected by nutritional yeast. I will certainly try to be more aware although I have loved eating it for years and only rarely felt I was over doing it... Thanks all!

Raw Freedom Community > Sunny Raw Lifestyle > Health & Nutrition