Raw Freedom Community  

Advertisement

Go Back   Raw Freedom Community > Sunny Raw Lifestyle > Living 'In The Raw'

Living 'In The Raw' The place to discuss All-Things-Raw! From transitioning to the Raw Food Diet, to equipment, special techniques and more.

Old 08-12-2011, 04:40 AM
Hatchling

New to Raw - Green Smoothie Question

Hi guys. I'm Kelly. I'm new here!

I'm a newbie and I have a question I'm hoping you all could shed some light on.

First: I've been pescatarian for 2 years and I work out regularly; doing so helped me get in shape and drop a bunch of weight. I'm attempting to add more raw foods to my diet, and I thought green smoothies were a good place to start.

My boyfriend and I have had a green smoothie in the morning every day for the past 4 days. He is fine but I've had lots of issues. At first, I was terribly constipated (sorry TMI, but I dont know whats going on!) and now I find whenever I have them, I get horrendous heartburn and sour stomach all day. I don't understand- I feel like eating more greens should do the exact opposite of what's happening to me.

I feel like the smoothies are definitely giving me more energy (which I love) but my stomach and intestines are hating them, it seems

Has anyone had a similar issue? Or any idea why my body has decided to do the exact opposite than one would think?

The first day it was:
Baby Spinach
Pineapple Chunks
Blueberries
Coconut Milk
1/2 a Banana

Second:
Baby Spinach
Pineapple Chunks (less because I thought this could've been the heartburn culprit)
Coconut Milk
1 Banana
1/2 Mango

Third:
A little bit of baby spinach
Swiss Chard
1/2 Mango
1 Banana
Almond Milk/Coconut Milk (I was finishing the leftovers)

Fourth:
Swiss Chard
1 Banana
Raw Cocao Powder
Almond Milk

The fourth day was DELICIOUS! but it seemed to create the worst heartburn.

Thank you for any insight any of you may have
Old 08-12-2011, 06:18 AM
Bad Mumble Jumble Dodo Bird

WELCOME TO RFC Kelly:

There is a 'transition' time for your body to change.... and it will do that....

Victoria Boutenko suggests not to put nuts, oils, avocados in the smoothies...

fruits, greens take less time to digest and if heavy nuts oils are added to them the fruits don't get digested for hrs causing fermentation....

Enjoy a 'nut milk' on it's own...

Hope this will help?

Last edited by wyjoz : 08-12-2011 at 06:21 AM.
Old 08-14-2011, 05:11 AM
Swallow

Hi.

These combination's would also give me problems. People with very strong digestion may be fine but I do not mix fruit and fat in my morning smoothie. If I do mix in some high fat food (almonds etc) I use only a very small quantity.

Also check that your fruit is properly ripened. You can also use slightly over rip fruit for smoothies.

If you eat only smoothie fro breakfast make it extra large. Fruit is low in cals.
Old 08-30-2011, 05:22 PM
Hatchling

acid reflux?

Hey there!

I'm really sorry you're going through this. It is true that when you change your diet, your body must take some time to adjust, but... Is it possible that your heartburn is not correlated to your raw diet, but it is a stand-alone condition that manifests whatever you eat? Have you had these symptoms before? To my knowledge, it seems very unlikely that a few simple smoothies could cause such severe symptoms on their own.
Weight loss diets have been linked to the onset of acid reflux disease, and some food combinations are believed to cause acid reflux as well. Acidic foods may make it worse, by elevating the acidity levels of the stomach.
Old 09-20-2011, 02:15 PM
Hatchling

chew your juice...

You need saliva to be in your juice to digest it better. I think you could make a green spinach juice all by itself. See how your stomach does. I usually juice celery, cucumber and a green. I eat my fruit. As for constipation...hmmm. I can only imagine that what's not digesting well in your tummy is getting stuck in your guts:/
Old 11-11-2011, 01:38 AM
Hatchling

A short query to make, If I make extra and store it in a mason jar, how long will it be good for? I'm thinking of making some at night and having some in the morning and bringing a jar with me to work. Is this doable?

Also, are the smoothies supposed to replace a meal? I'm planning on making some interesting raw meals all the time but don't want to over do it or under do it either haha how much do you guys drink a day and should I also add a meal with them?

Last edited by ullasa : 11-14-2011 at 01:29 AM.

Raw Freedom Community > Sunny Raw Lifestyle > Living 'In The Raw'