Raw Freedom Community  

Advertisement

Go Back   Raw Freedom Community > Sunny Raw Lifestyle > TECH Talk

TECH Talk all things technology discussed here

Old 04-02-2012, 01:19 PM
Hummingbird - Caretaker

Digital Camera Review

Digital Camera Review

Carmi wants to upgrade her photo capability and since our trusty Panasonic Lumix ZS3 is at its' technical limits, it means we need to replace it with something more capable. So I've been doing some considerable research into the latest in the world of digital cameras, and I thought it might be a help to some others if I shared my findings. So lets get into it.

We need a camera which will give more pic definition, has good macro capability for the food closeups, and has easy handling. Low light would be a bonus.

There are two sites that are indispensable when looking for a camera, IMO. For user selectable screening according to what is important to you, there is nothing even close to Snapsort.

You'll see. Then for hands on reviews, check out DPreview.

Note - Prices may have changed some since this review.

Under $200:

- Canon PowerShot ELPH 300 HS - $150
12.1 MP

- Panasonic DMC-FH25K - $150
16.1MP Digital Camera with 8x Wide Angle Image Stabilized Zoom and 2.7 inch LCD

- Canon PowerShot SX130IS - $160

12.1 MP Digital Camera with 12x Wide Angle Optical Image Stabilized Zoom with 3.0-Inch LCD

- Sony Cyber-shot DSC-WX50 - $180
16.2 MP Digital Camera with 5x Optical Zoom and 2.7-inch LCD

$200 - $300

- Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX10V - $300
18.2 MP Exmor R CMOS Digital Still Camera with 16x Optical Zoom G Lens, 3D Sweep Panorama and Full HD 1080/60p Video

- Canon PowerShot SX260 HS - $300
12.1 MP CMOS Digital Camera with 20x Image Stabilized Zoom 28mm Wide-Angle Lens and 1080p Full-HD Video

- Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS10 - $220
14.1 MP Digital Camera with 16x Wide Angle Optical Image Stabilized Zoom and Built-In GPS Function

$300 - $500

- Panasonic Lumix ZS20 - $300
14.1 MP High Sensitivity MOS Digital Camera with 20x Optical Zoom

- Canon PowerShot S100 - $380
12.1 MP Digital Camera with 5x Wide-Angle Optical Image Stabilized Zoom

- Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX200V - $480
18.2 MP Exmor R CMOS Digital Camera with 30x Optical Zoom and 3.0-inch LCD

- Panasonic DMC-FZ150K - $500
12.1 MP Digital Camera with CMOS Sensor and 24x Optical Zoom

$500 - $1000 (body only)

- Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 - $750
16.05 MP Live MOS Interchangeable Lens Camera with 3-inch Free-Angle Touch Screen LCD

- Sony NEX 5N - $550
16.1 MP Compact Interchangeable Lens Touchscreen 4/3 Camera

- Sony Alpha SLT A57 - $700
16.1 MP Exmor APS HD CMOS Sensor DSLR with Translucent Mirror Technology

- Canon EOS Rebel T3i - $620
18 MP CMOS APS-C Sensor DIGIC 4 Image Processor Full-HD Movie Mode Digital SLR Camera with 3.0-Inch Clear View Vari-Angle LCD

- Sony A65
- $900
24.3 MP Translucent Mirror Digital SLR

So there you have it, the culmination of many hours/days of work refining the literally thousands of cameras down to the best available at this time at various price levels. What is the one we decided to go with ourselves, you ask? Well, we want a camera that will stand the test of time (we don't intend to look again for many years) that we can grow into as we learn and improve our skill. Given that, we will go with the ...

with the 18-55mm Zoom Lens

It is the equal to/or better than its peers and has a few powerful features that set it apart:

The first is
Full-time Continuous AF enabled by Translucent Mirror Technology. This also allows it to be VERY fast (12 fps burst).

It also has a unique technology called Clear Image Zoom which, unlike others limited digital resolution, enables high-resolution digital zoom shooting (multiplying any optical zoom) and additionally the world's first DSLR Auto-Portrait Framing ability.

All that combined with great HD 1080 60p and 24p Cinema video, and we feel that this is the best camera for us (in our price range.) Note also that all the great Minolta and Konica lenses from the old film cameras fit the modern Sony A mounts (with adaptor). The AF doesn't work - you just have to focus manually.

I will attempt to update this as time goes on and would welcome any comments/input.

Last edited by Don : 05-19-2012 at 05:59 PM.
Old 05-19-2012, 09:08 PM
Chickadee

Don and Camella,
What a great review and great pictures. Don, you are the master camera researcher and hope if/when I change from IPOD touch to a more advanced one I can tap into your brain. I love, love photography.

I took an oil painting class a few years back and the elderly teacher thought she would never be challenged teaching me. I gave the warning: eye hand don't work together. I was right. She retired I believe as trying to teach me. She never let me go home without looking like a master of every thing on the painting she had to correct. Thank God oil is forgiving.

However, from that time on I learned to see beauty differently. As Camella sees the beauty I see like she does. I also see funky produce in odds shapes/forms as well as the clouds and sky that way too. I take MILLIONS of pictures including my dog often. I take flowers too. Okay, just about anything looking alive or is.

Again, thanks for sharing your valuable insight. Waiting to see and review my emails from Carmella.

Can you record on Carmella's new "gift?"

Don, what about adding watermarks to photos? Software packages as you know, without living in fear, there are those who borrow and monetize on others creative juices.

So my oil painting did more than just probably accelerate the painting teacher's rise to heaven, but brought new life into something I never knew I had.

Now coupled with writing skills and health/wellness I hope to leave a great mark in this world--a legacy of "living" things surrounding us.

PS: I wish there was another platform to seeing responses or more of a connection through Facebook or the like. I love connecting with you all even if not here as much as I wish. Trying to carve a niche into expanding creating blog titles and taglines that come like a flood! No thinking--it just comes~! Now the money must follow!

Hugs, carolg

Raw Freedom Community > Sunny Raw Lifestyle > TECH Talk