Raw Freedom Community  

Advertisement

Go Back   Raw Freedom Community > Sunny Raw Lifestyle > The Recipes > Breads, Crackers and Wraps

Old 01-08-2012, 07:26 AM
Hatchling

Russell James' new video: Raw Garlic Bread

Just wanted to let everyone know about Russell's latest video. He promised it to us earlier this week and, wow! I'm really excited about this bread. Also, very excited about having a _great_ way to use up all the almond pulp I have in freezer! Last year during my move, I ended up tossing a few jars-full of frozen almond pulp due to not having either a place to store it (going down to teeny-tiny fridge) and no recipe to use it in, really.

And his bread is spongy! I don't know about anyone else but the only bread I've come across on this raw food journey of 21 years that actually feels like bread is the manna bread that we can all buy which is not really raw (they dehydrate above temperatures for raw) and the buns on a raw food burger at a raw food festival in my town about 3 years ago that came from Crudessence, a raw restaurant/shop in Montreal. I have been waiting for the moment I can afford Crudessence's French recipe book JUST for the bread recipe alone but can now hold off till better times due to Russell's lovely-looking bread.

AND, for those of us with digestive issues who love to follow good food-combining principles to take the load off our poor beleagured systems, since it's a bread made without grains, we can have any NUT-BASED CHEEZE on it we want, something we can't with any other bread as they're all grain-based (and nuts and grains don't mix, apparently).

So long lead-in but here is Russell's latest with his wonderful care to quality and beautiful production values:
http://www.therawchef.com/chef/raw-garlic-bread/

There's a PDF for the recipe that you can download on that page, too.

Cheers and enjoy!

I'll try to make this as soon as I can get the rest of the ingredients together and have enough time to dehydrate (probably not till next weekend or the following). But I'll post back.

Di.
Old 01-08-2012, 07:33 AM
Hatchling

Thumbs up Russell's Macadamia cheeze as seen in Garlic Bread recipe video ...

Sorry, should have given link to earlier video this week that Russell sent that is featured on the garlic bread (yum!):
http://www.therawchef.com/chef/raw-mac-cheese/

Enjoy!

Di.
Old 01-08-2012, 07:42 AM
Hatchling

Baking rings - and hamburger buns!

Ooh, ooh <jumping up and down> ... I got an idea after I'd closed my browser and came back here to this thread ... that hamburger I mentioned at the top of thread is so close within my grasp, I think.

I just was thinking back on the video and how Russell shapes his raw garlic bread loaves in the video. If I bought one of the baking rings, and I'm thinking that a 4-5-inch one would fit the bill for a hamburger bun, then I could fill the ring up till dough was about 1½" thick then take the ring off and gently tamp down the edges so they slope a bit so that the buns gets rounded all around the edge (i.e., sort of "domed", a bit) like a "real" hamburger bun and then dehydrate that way.

To serve, one would cut like Russell did but instead of into slices, cut across the middle like one would a bagel.

OH, BAGELS!!! Wow, this would probably be really, really great for bagels, too, by maybe also just adding some spices and sesame seeds on tops (onions, too)! And since this bread is nut-based, can have a bagel filled with cheeze once more!!

WOOHOO!!

I haven't been this excited in ages re something in raw food. I've really missed bread coupled with cheesy things!

OOH, PIZZA, TOO!!!!!

And for the burger, also again no longer a food-combining no-no because burger itself could be nut- and mushroom-based, yum!!

Yes, I know raw mushrooms are not so good for us apparently. Anyone know if this is really true? Let me know; but in any case, if worse comes to worst, can make a purely nut- and veggie-burger, too.

Cheers!! <in few moments dancing a jig as I leave the PC>

Old 01-08-2012, 09:39 AM
Bad Mumble Jumble Dodo Bird

I'm sooooooooooo glad that you are soooooooooo excited....

Hamburger Buns ! yes ! yes !

the Bagles? too spongy,,, this is like whole wheat sort of spongy bread...we had it at Au Lac.... so delicious....
I don't think we will ever find a RAW BAGLE recipe.... Raw Guru has one on his site and we tried it... it's o.k. but NOT NOT NOT a Bagle.... lol

anyways be excited....enjoy the bread.....
Old 01-08-2012, 10:06 AM
Hatchling

Hi, there!

Yes, it sure is nice to contemplate having bread sometime in the near future that didn't cost me $3.89-$4.75 per loaf (price range over 3 stores here) that _is_ actually 100% raw and that tastes like bread. If Russell's almond pulp bread is anything like the manna one I buy, then I'll be very happy. But I foresee going from wondering what to do with the almond pulp, to keeping an anxious eye for when I have enough to make bread!! <lol>

If Russell's recipe doesn't turn out to be what I need, well, I know that the bread recipe from Crudessence exists and if it's exactly what I bought at the raw food festival, it will do the job. So somewhere down the road, "real" bread should be in my future, one way or another <g>.

I went to Crudessence's website again. I've never been to the restaurant/store itselt but since I'm starting a new work contract tomorrow, I'm going to put in the budget a trip to Montreal maybe even as early as the spring to check it out. It's a 2-hour drive so a bus trip there and back is do-able on a Saturday.

I found they show a couple of pictures of the restaurant/shop:http://www.crudessence.com/en/servic...kay-restaurant. And they have a menu to download in PDF format on that page ... going to check it out now ... drat. Just black and white. For a downloadable file, they should put at least a couple of nice colour pictures in it! I think I'll suggest it!

Oh, there are a small handful of free recipes here:
http://www.crudessence.com/en/recettes/recipe-book

Here's a mustard one that looks good:
http://www.crudessence.com/en/recett...e-made-mustard

Have a great Sunday! Cheers, Diana.
Old 01-18-2012, 08:46 PM
Hatchling

Smile

I love this garlic bread! Served it with some raw spaghetti sauce and it was perfect! I love the fact that it's a lot closer to regular bread in texture than most raw breads out there.
Old 02-18-2012, 06:06 PM
Hummingbird - Caretaker

Garlic Bread Recipe

Here's the recipe - FANTASTIC;

Garlic Bread

YIELDS 2 SMALL ‘LOAVES’

2 cups almond pulp

1 cup young coconut meat

1 cup psyllium

1⁄2 cup flax meal

3 teaspoons lemon juice

2 cloves crushed garlic

2 teaspoons garlic powder

3 soft dates

1 teaspoon salt

Blend the coconut meat, garlic and dates in a high-speed blender until smooth.

Grind that mixture with all remaining ingredients in a food processor until thoroughly combined.

Form into 2 loaves 3cm high and 5cm (1 ̋ by 2 ̋) wide.

Dehydrate on a mesh sheet for 14 hours at 115°F.

Remove from the dehydrator and cut into slices. Store in the refrigerator for up to 4 days.

Old 02-19-2012, 07:37 AM
Bad Mumble Jumble Dodo Bird

Yeah....................

Donny 'got some bread' yeah!

Cheers to life's great pleasures.......
Old 04-14-2012, 10:02 AM
Hatchling

Soft bread?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don View Post
Here's the recipe - FANTASTIC;

Garlic Bread

YIELDS 2 SMALL ‘LOAVES’

2 cups almond pulp

1 cup young coconut meat

[snip]
Had to return to this bread issue. I'm having difficulty with bread, still, despite being initially so excited. There isn't only the soft issue for me for bread, but it's also not being able to stomach well dehydrated foods that are done and removed from the D before being dry, like crackers.

Also, the challenge is that the above recipe calls for coconut meat. At Hippocrates, they advised us that only people with healthy livers should eat any amount of coconut and not on a regular basis. I don't know why but since my health challenges are digestive and I've only had a good physical life free from a lifetime of health challenges since I returned from there in summer of 2010, I've tended to follow most of their recommendations. Now at 50 years of ago, as of 2 weeks ago, I'm in the best condition of my entire life, so I'm determined to find a soft bread recipe that I an eat every day without problem.

Has anyone had any luck with making a good soft bread that can stand not being eaten for a while? Even if bread didn't last long, if I found one that I could make then freeze yet would still taste good without that awful fermenty taste of all soft dehydrated foods, I'd be happy.

The almond pulp bread, like Russell James', is ideal since it means 1. being able to use up large amounts of pulp I produce from drinking almond mylk twice a day <lol>, and 2. it's great food combining - having a nut-based bread that combines with nut cheeses rather than bad food combining raw fooders are as prone to do as cooked fooders, using grain-based breads with nut-based cheeses (which is actually bad food combining).

Anyway, here's hoping ...

Raw Freedom Community > Sunny Raw Lifestyle > The Recipes > Breads, Crackers and Wraps