Raw Freedom Community  

Advertisement

Go Back   Raw Freedom Community > Sunny Raw Lifestyle > The Recipes > Breads, Crackers and Wraps

Old 04-24-2007, 09:59 AM
Hummingbird - Caretaker

The Famous Onion Bread

The following is a staple in our house and is legendary on Raw food Talk Forums. Try serving it as a base for a BLT sandwich... To LIVE for!

THE famous Onion bread
Originally posted by Pansy on RFT

2 1/2 lbs sweet onions, peeled
1 cup ground sunflower seeds
1 cup ground golden flax seeds
1/2 cup olive oil
3 oz. Nama Shoyu

Put onions in food processor with 's' blade and process until small pieces, (but not mush). Put in mixing bowl with the other ingredients and mix thoroughly. The flax will absorb liquid. Smooth onto teflex sheets* about 1/4" thick and place in dehydrator for 5 hours, turning over for another 3-4 hours or until dry and crispy. Either break into pieces or cut with a pizza cutter, and store in refrigerator in an airtight container.

*If you don't have an Excalibur dehydrator, any type will do - just use natural unbleached parchment paper instead of the teflex sheets.

Carmella’s notes: I usually mix a little avocado, 1 or 2 tbs of olive oil and water in the food processor to make up the amount of oil called for in the recipe. I also tend to put a lot less Braggs as I don't like it too salty. I spread the batter with my hands which makes the process soooo much easier. Thanks Mel for the tip! I start dehydrating the bread at about 115 degrees for a couple of hours (this helps avoid fermentation), and then transfer it from the teflex sheets onto the mesh. I then turn the temp back down to 105 and leave it overnight.

Photo Credits:
The mouth-watering sandwich on the right was posted on Raw Food Talk. Unfortunately, I've forgotten by who, but I'll try to trace it back...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	OnionBreadJar300.jpg
Views:	883
Size:	16.8 KB
ID:	24  Click image for larger version

Name:	OnionBreadVeggieSandwich3.jpg
Views:	1469
Size:	23.1 KB
ID:	25  

Last edited by Carmella : 04-24-2007 at 12:13 PM.
Old 10-06-2008, 09:24 PM
Meadowlark

Made the "THE" Onion Bread

I have made the famous onion bread. Am I official yet?

It makes some great ELTs. My ELT was so good, I didn't even offer any to the SAD eaters at work. Poor things. I think they are in the habit of tasting my food. They all crane their necks now and stare when I start unpacking my lunch.

I like this better than the Black Sesame Bread. But my bread was thicker than the breads in teh picture. I used one large yellow sweet onion.
Old 10-06-2008, 10:21 PM
Chickadee

I defy anyone to have a whole batch of onion bread come out of the dehydrator!!!! I kept tasting it so often I was down to maybe half a batch??? It's sooooooooo good!!!!

Think I'll make some tomorrow!!!! Oh, and I'm gonna be spending a weekend in November with some SAD friends and I"m gonna have all kinds of snack foods to serve them and onion bread will be one of them.

Elaine
Old 10-07-2008, 04:46 AM
Swallow

i think my husband is hooked - he is now asking me to make this for him instead of regular bread, which i willingly bake for him, otherwise. !! victory!!!
there is really no comparison. it is richer, tastier, cheaper and healthier! i don't use as much oil, and it turns out fantastic anyways (maybe a bit crunchier). i slice my onions with a mandoline, superfine, instead of s-blading them. i have tried it both ways, doesn't seems to make much difference in taste - also, i usually soak and sprout my sunseeds, blend them with a weee bit of water into a paste and use that instead of just grinding them, but i do both ways and it all works out to pretty much the same FABULOUS bread.
unfourtunately, i think i have a bit of a reaction to tooo much onion and garlic - is there another bread out there that comes close to comparing with this?? i have considered subbing carrots or zuchinni for the onion - has anyone tried this? for now i just try and stop myself from eating it too often - though now i am making it several times a week for my husband, sooooooo....it's always around. i need to make something different for myself.
Old 10-07-2008, 08:34 AM
Bad Mumble Jumble Dodo Bird

my house and all my 'raw' friends are 'HOOKED' on this! Good/Good 'bread' ! yeah! Joz
Old 10-07-2008, 09:54 AM
Hummingbird - Caretaker

Pirawna,
Welcome to the Onion Bread Club!

I always spread my batter super thin. Guess thicker bread just takes longer to dehydrate, eh? Will have to try it next time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princess Elaine View Post
I defy anyone to have a whole batch of onion bread come out of the dehydrator!!!! I kept tasting it so often I was down to maybe half a batch???
Hehe... Mine makes it to the D, but the munching occurs when it's time to put it away into bags. You know how it goes... all these little bits and pieces breaking off. Someone's GOT to eat them, right? What a shame!

Ani,
Good to know about using soaked sunseeds, I've often wondered whether that would work. I hear ya about the onions, I've cut down to using only 1 large onion for 2 batches and it works great. I do have to add more water to make up for the liquid in the onions though.

I think I recall someone making it with carrots and zucchinis before... probably on RFT. Here's another variation that sounds interesting:

Jaya Naga’s Variation:
I make Onion Bread all the time and it does actually come out pliable, here's how: I add like 1-2 cups of sprouted buckwheat to my 2 cups ground flax, 1 cup ground sunflower seeds, 1/4 cup olive oil, 1/4 cup Nama Shoyu and 1/2 cup water. I process 1-2 sweet onions. It is yummy and soft-ish.

TIP: if you actually slice one onion and have slivers in the bread, it makes it chewy, don't know why, but it does.

Oh, and I've been meaning to ask, how many Excalibur trays do you guys fill with one recipe? Mine usually comes up to 2 1/4 trays (like I said, I spread it REAL thin! lol)

Last edited by Carmella : 10-07-2008 at 10:44 AM.
Old 10-07-2008, 10:08 AM
Meadowlark

I had a full batch come out of my dehydrator!! I don't tend to taste things while in the dehydrator. I DO however taste the batters before putting them in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ani View Post
i have considered subbing carrots or zuchinni for the onion - has anyone tried this?
I don't see why carrots or zucchini wouldn't work. Or olives or bell peppers or something.

Here is a pic of my onion bread. I threw some ground black sesame seeds in.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture.jpg
Views:	681
Size:	24.8 KB
ID:	2668  
Old 10-07-2008, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carmella View Post
Hehe... Mine makes it to the D, but the munching occurs when it's time to put it away into bags. You know how it goes... all these little bits and pieces breaking off. Someone's GOT to eat them, right? What a shame!

CARMI; THICKER DOES NOT GET SO CRUMBLY!!! AND IT'S EASIER FOR SANDWICHES !!!!

Oh, and I've been meaning to ask, how many Excalibur trays do you guys fill with one recipe? Mine usually comes up to 2 1/4 tray (like I said, I spread it REAL thin! lol)
I GET 2 TRAYS, SPREADING IT WITH MY HANDS! IT'S A LITTLE THICKER---I DID THINER AND IT CRUMBLED TOO MUCH.
Old 10-07-2008, 10:30 AM
Meadowlark

yes, my thick bread is quite flexible and soft. I didn't realize it was supposed to be crunchy. I think I would prefer my breads softer.

And the crumbs definitely need to be consumed before packing it away!!
Old 01-12-2009, 02:03 PM
Hatchling

Great Onion Bread

This is a great recipe! Thanks Carmella.

My bread came out a little chewy. Is it suppose to be like this? or should I dehydrate it more...they've already been in the dehydrator for 24 hours.

You're right about using sweet onions. All I had were cooking onions, so my bread came out a little on the strong side (cough, cough...tears flowing down cheek), but they are still good....my next batch will be even better.

Greg
Old 01-12-2009, 03:22 PM

hehehe; every time I make this bread it comes out slightly different. Glad you liked it...... the cough is good to release some toxins !!! yeah !
Old 01-12-2009, 08:51 PM
Chickadee

question: Are yellow or white onions called "sweet" onions?

I saw non-commercial onions that were yellow and called sweet. I didn't see organic called sweet, but still bought the yellow. Any hints? Thanks.

I'm thinking tomorrow or next day I'm making this simple recipe.

carolg
Old 01-13-2009, 03:43 AM
Hatchling

Spanish Onions?

Good question carolg... I was thinking of using Spanish onions, because I know that they are very mild and easy to eat raw....but perhaps Carmella or Roz can answer your question.

Greg
Old 01-14-2009, 01:10 PM
Chickadee

My bread is now in dehydrator

I used those yellow onions I had here. I used 1 T believe olive oil, 2 slices avocado, 1 1/2 teaspoon real salt. Oh, I ADDED one small zucchini in with the onion and S bladed them both. The "bread dough" was very moist. Hope that is how it's supposed to be???? I think I have 3 nice size loaves making right now or maybe it is 4. Gotta peak if I need the count. I thought maybe I would get 2 but was surprised I had more. The dough taste delish per the taster--me.

I would like to find a NUTless way to make this one. All things are possible so can we figure out a way together???????

So now I'm on a roll: got Rawsome's (book) pizza making plus these onion breads.

carolg
Old 01-15-2009, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolg View Post
question: Are yellow or white onions called "sweet" onions?carolg
yellow onions; they are pungent ! eek make you cry !!! great for frying/cooking !!!! but one has to love love that taste to eat them raw!!!!

the sweet onions, Maui, Walla Walla, etc are so 'sweet' and taste oniony, sweet, but not like pungent/strong !!!! one can actually just peel it and bite into it...............

Joz

Raw Freedom Community > Sunny Raw Lifestyle > The Recipes > Breads, Crackers and Wraps