Raw Freedom Community  

Advertisement

Go Back   Raw Freedom Community > Sunny Raw Lifestyle > The Recipes > Breads, Crackers and Wraps

Old 04-30-2007, 08:45 PM
Hummingbird - Caretaker

Soft All-Veggie Wraps

Last summer, my good friend and raw chef, Chantale Roy, was selling wonderful, tasty veggie wraps at the farmer's market. So light, pliable and uniquely different from anything we'd ever tried before!

When I recently stumbled upon Cherie Soria's veggie wraps, I instantly knew I had finally hit the jackpot!

You'll find 3 of Cherie's recipes for soft tortillas/wraps on this site. If you look closely, you'll notice that they all follow a basic formula of 10 to 12 cups of veggies, avocado, seasonings, and psyllium husk powder (to help the ingredients bind). Once you get a feel for it, you can easily adapt the wraps to suit whatever you have handy. A great way to use up those veggies that are wrinkling away in your fridge too!

Here is my tweaked up version of Cherie's Salsa Wraps:

PepperAma Wraps
By Carmella Soleil

5 cups seeded and chopped red and yellow bell peppers
3 cups chopped zucchini
1 cup tomato, seeds removed
1 cup sundried tomato, soaked and drained
1 tablespoon leek (although green or red onion would work too)
2 teaspoons onion powder
1 to 2 cloves garlic, crushed
½ teaspoon sea salt
1 avocado, peeled, seeded, and mashed
3 tablespoons psyllium powder
¼ cup chopped cilantro, packed (optional)

1. In a high-powered blender, purée the bell peppers, zucchini, tomatoes, and leek or onion until smooth. Add the onion powder, garlic, and salt, and purée again. While blender is still turning, add the avocado, and then the psyllium powder, and blend well for a few seconds.

2. If desired, pulse in the cilantro until it is broken into pieces. Do not fully process; the cilantro should be in small pieces.

3. Using 1/2 cup of the mixture for each wrap, use a flat rubber spatula to quickly form four flat disks on a dehydrator tray lined with a nonstick sheet. Each disk should be about 7 inches in diameter, and they should not quite touch each other. Spread the wraps into round disks quickly, or the mixture will thicken and become difficult to spread.

4. Dehydrate at 105 degrees for about 4 hours, or until you can easily remove them from the nonstick sheets.

5. Turn the wraps over onto mesh dehydrator screens. Place an additional mesh screen on top of each tray of wraps. This makes them flatter and easier to store. Continue dehydrating another 3 to 4 hours, until dry but still flexible.

6. Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to two weeks, or in the freezer for up to two months.

As you can see, I also experimented with making some square wraps. It does save a little work, although you do get the hang of making the circles after a while. Just spread the batter (maybe a little over 2 cups) on an entire teflex sheet and then score it into 4. Alternatively, you could probably cut the wraps after they're dehydrated, with scissors or pizza cutters.

Photo:
Wraps filled with Rich Cheddar Sauce, marinated zucchini and Portobello mushrooms, alfalfa sprouts, red and yellow peppers and black olives.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	RichWraps3.jpg
Views:	813
Size:	21.6 KB
ID:	68  

Last edited by Carmella : 05-02-2007 at 12:31 PM.
Old 05-21-2007, 09:41 AM
Hatchling

Oh, my this looks fabulous. I love that it uses a whole-food fat! Avocados are wonderful. I don't use oils, so this looks perfect!
Such beautiful photography too
Thanks for the recipe.
Old 08-13-2008, 03:48 PM
Hatchling

I have been making these for a few weeks and love them! It's a great way to use up ripe produce in season. I just fill with whatever I have on hand, pesto, "rice", tomatoes, "bacon", nut pate, chives, olive spread, ect.. yummy!! Possibilities are endless! Thanks for the idea. : )

Also, these are great for quick dinners and lighter than most raw breads which is a plus! A must try!
Old 08-13-2008, 04:30 PM
Swallow

Kimberly, or anyone who can help,

I don't keep psyllium on hand. Do you think I could substitute golden flax meal? If you don't think this would work, perhaps you could suggest some other ingredient I could substitute.

These look very good! Thank you in advance for any input you can give.

Blessings and peace,

Marcia
Old 08-13-2008, 05:10 PM
Mountain Blue Bird

I'd try it with the flax seeds -- because they're not a major ingredient in the recipe and because they both have a gelatinous effect when combined with a liquid. But I think you should wait for someone that has more experience with this recipe to reply before trying this suggestion, just in case...
Shannsu

Last edited by shannsu : 08-14-2008 at 05:07 PM.
Old 08-13-2008, 06:02 PM
Toucan - Caretaker

I have made these without psyllum. I used avocado instead and it worked well.
Old 08-13-2008, 06:12 PM
Hummingbird - Caretaker

So glad you've bumped this one up, Kimberly. It really is such an awesome concept, and so light and flexible.

Marcia,
I'd go with Mosaica's suggestion rather than flax seeds, as I think it would affect the soft and pliable texture. Hey, how about you put aside a small amount of the batter and try it with flax, just as an experiment? Oh, and of course, report back!
Old 08-14-2008, 03:49 AM
Swallow

Shannsum Mosaica, Carmella,

Thank you all so much. Your speediness to my post and your suggestions are awesome. You all rawk!

Mosaica, that is good to know about the avocado, I like that idea!

Carmella, good thinkin (as usual) putting aside a small amount of the batter and trying it with flax as an experiment. I like doing those kinds of experiments!

Blessings and peace,

Marcia
Old 08-14-2008, 05:09 PM
Mountain Blue Bird

Do let us know how your experimenting goes.... I'm planning on trying this soon too.
Shannsu
Old 01-24-2009, 11:28 AM
Hatchling

I'm squeezing in some time to hopefully make these today. I'm going to try one batch with flax, one with chia and the other with avocado.

Just a note: the wraps with the flax and chia, I will be making a "paste" before I put them into the mixture (just soaking it in some water to create a goo). Hopefully this will keep it resilient and remain flexible as a wrap.

I'll update the thread with my creation! I hope it turns out
Old 01-24-2009, 01:00 PM
Hummingbird - Caretaker

Yes! Do keep us posted, Zsuzanna! I have some chia seeds and hardly know what to use them in.
Old 01-24-2009, 02:45 PM
Hatchling

My favorite wraps that i made were vegetable based with avocado,herbs, sea salt, and psyllium. I would like to know how all 3 of your wraps turn out. These are always my favorite dinner.

Chia seeds are great. You can let them sit in any liquid base and they will soak it up and be so delicious. It's great to blend nori, water, and sea salt, then mix by hand chia seeds. Put that ontop of anything(like salad) and it fills you up so fast you won't believe.
Old 01-27-2009, 10:25 PM
Hatchling

just an update --

i redirected my cravings and ended up making crackers in the last couple of days -- it has probably something to do with the fact im PMS'ing and if this is what i wanted, this is what i had to have (HAHA).

anyhoo, i will be making these wraps soon -- HOWEVER -- i just stumbled upon a veggie wrap recipe and they did use flax. someone asked if it was 'pliable' and they replied with a certain YES!

so im sharing

you can find it here: http://goneraw.com/node/16427
Old 02-11-2009, 08:59 AM
Hatchling

I think chia seeds would work well for this, but you'd have to try it. But I definitely think it would keep a flexible consistency. Also, for those of you who don't know what to use the chia or salba seeds in, try googling recipes for it. There are so many yummy ones out there. I keep hearing of more good ones as I check out other people's ideas. And it can be used as a binder it many recipes because of the way it makes a gel when combined with liquids.
Old 06-16-2009, 07:44 AM
Meadowlark

I'm thinking these might be lovely as part of a Mexican theme dinner. (fill with cheese and or 'refried beans', guacamole, greens, etc) My husband does not like flaxseed breads/wraps and most raw breads. I'm wondering if this recipe(s) could be the answer.

Raw Freedom Community > Sunny Raw Lifestyle > The Recipes > Breads, Crackers and Wraps