Raw Freedom Community  

Advertisement

Go Back   Raw Freedom Community > Sunny Raw Lifestyle > Living 'In The Raw'

Living 'In The Raw' The place to discuss All-Things-Raw! From transitioning to the Raw Food Diet, to equipment, special techniques and more.

Old 08-13-2007, 11:34 AM
Chickadee

What Raw Books Do You Have and Use?

Here is a pic of mine + I have some Victoria ones!
Attached Images

Old 08-13-2007, 12:04 PM
Chickadee

12 Steps to Raw Foods by Victoria Boutenko - GREAT BOOK, but I don't "use" it regularly. I highly recommend it for everyone though.

Green for Life by Victoria Boutenko - FANTASTIC BOOK, don't "use" it much either. It's indispensible however. In fact, I circulate it among friends and family, so I don't even currently "have it".

The Complete Book of Raw Foods (multiple contributors) - GREAT BOOK, I use it the most for recipes and recipes ideas. It also has a few chapters at the beginning about equipment, sprouting and other food prep info people new to making raw dishes want to know.

Raw Food Made Easy for 1 or 2 People by Jennifer Cornbleet - Good book for beginner to raw with good and easy to prepare small dishes, but I think the recipes are a bit simplistic and I don't go back to it for ideas or recipes really.

The 80/10/10 Diet by Douglas Graham - Still new and haven't read it yet.

Wild Fermentation by Sandor Ellix Katz - OK, it's not really raw but is instead about living fermented foods, but is a great book no less.

Last edited by RawVegan4Health : 08-13-2007 at 12:07 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 08-13-2007, 12:20 PM
Hatchling

LIVING ON LIVE FOOD by alissa cohen - i admit i initially got this book because we have the same name. it was my first book. and it's fabulous for just starting out. but i haven't gone back to it since. and i felt compelled to move on shortly after i got bored of the 4 pate recipes. which are great. but too much of a good thing i guess.

RAWSOME by bridgette mars - this book is a fab reference. it's like an encyclopedia of nutritional properties of most basic fruits, veggies, nuts, herbs etc. which is really interesting. but i have only tried one of the recipes.

RAW FOOD. REAL WORLD by sarma and matthew - the recipes in this book are superfabulous and mind blowing. but they are pretty high maintenance. so although i was blown away by all the ones i tried. it's not as good for daily get r done type stuff.

ANI'S RAW FOOD KITCHEN by ani phyo - is my favorite so far. for me it's the perfect balance of developed palatte/fairly low maintenance prep.
Old 08-13-2007, 01:18 PM
Finch

Living on Live Food by Alissa Cohen with the DVD -- the DVD was essential for me. It made everything real and I saw how easy it was to make. I really recommend this to everyone starting out!

I have gotten many from the library, but none worth buying! I like the online recipes better
Old 08-13-2007, 02:31 PM
Chickadee

I don't have these!....I will have to buy some new ones! I think I use Matt & Juliannas the most.

Raw Food Made Easy for 1 or 2 People by Jennifer Cornbleet - Good book for beginner to raw with good and easy to prepare small dishes, but I think the recipes are a bit simplistic and I don't go back to it for ideas or recipes really.

The 80/10/10 Diet by Douglas Graham - Still new and haven't read it yet.

Wild Fermentation by Sandor Ellix Katz - OK, it's not really raw but is instead about living fermented foods, but is a great book no less.

LIVING ON LIVE FOOD by alissa cohen - i admit i initially got this book because we have the same name. it was my first book. and it's fabulous for just starting out. but i haven't gone back to it since. and i felt compelled to move on shortly after i got bored of the 4 pate recipes. which are great. but too much of a good thing i guess.

RAWSOME by bridgette mars - this book is a fab reference. it's like an encyclopedia of nutritional properties of most basic fruits, veggies, nuts, herbs etc. which is really interesting. but i have only tried one of the recipes.

RAW FOOD. REAL WORLD by sarma and matthew - the recipes in this book are superfabulous and mind blowing. but they are pretty high maintenance. so although i was blown away by all the ones i tried. it's not as good for daily get r done type stuff.

ANI'S RAW FOOD KITCHEN by ani phyo - is my favorite so far. for me it's the perfect balance of developed palatte/fairly low maintenance prep.
Old 08-13-2007, 02:35 PM
Meadowlark

'raw fruit and vegi juices' by the late great n.w. walker .
a timeless classic IMO .
Old 08-13-2007, 04:11 PM
Hummingbird - Caretaker

Great info guys! I particularly appreciate your thoughts on each book!

OK, I've got:

- Alissa's 'Living on Live Food' - Altho I haven't used it for a while, it's an awesome reference book to have. (I've only gone through the recipe section as I don't connect much with her approach.)

- Frederic Patenaude's 'Instant Raw Sensations' - a bunch of easy, quickly whipped up recipes, altho sometimes a little too simple for my taste. Awesome soups.

- Fred Patenaude's 'Healthy Dressings' - 70 low fat dressings, many using no oil. I have yet to try most of them but I like having that option.

- Carol Alt's 'The Raw 50' - I was asked to review this book by Carol's publishing house. Check it out here.

- Nomi Shannon and Sheryl Duruz's 'Holiday Celebration Guide' - Great pics but I haven't been using it much at all except for the wonderful 'zucchini roll ups' recipe
Old 08-13-2007, 05:56 PM
Chickadee

Thumbs up

Here is my list:

Eating without Heating by Sergei and Valya
I love the wedding cake recipe!

The Complete Book of Raw Food by Several people
Don't think I have used a full recipe. I have gotten ideas from this book and it helped me in the beginning to understand Raw.

Angel Foods by Cherie Soria
I have not made anything yet. I just got this!

Raw the Uncook Book by Juliano
This was my very first cook book! (Love his book)
I have made:
Xtra Avo Soup (great)
Fiery Lava (love it)
Flax Crackers (great)
Real Toast (great)
Portobello Sandwich (great)
Tuna (good) how I created mine just added to it!
Nut Butter and Jelly Sandwich (good)
Mashed Potatoes (did not like) have not found a recipe I like yet
Cheese Burger (great)
Gordons Fish Patties (ok)
Meat Loaf (great)
Oatmeal Cookies (great)
EZ Pudding (Awesome, I lived on this at the start DH could not tell the diff from SAD pudding)
Cashew Gelato (great)
Mash it (great)
Robbins Ice Cream (good)
Raw Restaurant House Dressing (good)
Butter (great I just added agave to make it sweet)

Elaina's Pure Joy Kitchen by Elaina
I have made the mustard and a few others, nothing that stands out right now oh maybe her almond milk!

Green for life by Victoria Boutenko
Good book have not made any recipes

12 Steps to Raw Foods Both old & New Book by Victoria Boutenko
I love in the 1st book Live Garden Burger and the Breakfast Oat Groats
have not tried anything from the new book.

Raw Volution by Matt Amsden (one of my favorite books)
I have tried to many of the recipes to list and all have been great!

Living on Live food & DVD by Alissa Cohen
I like the Chili and Cesar Salad dressing (have not tried alot of the recipes)

The complete Book of Juicing by Murray

The Big Book of Juices & smoothies
Old 08-13-2007, 07:48 PM
Swallow

Ok here goes (cause I have a lot at least I think it's a lot).

1) Living on Live Food--Alissa Cohen, I use her recipe for guacamole & marinara sauce over & over but not much else. It's a great book though--lots of info in it.

2) Rawsome--Brigitte Mars, I love this book and I'm always digging it out to see what properties are in the foods I eat (I forget a lot ). Have only used a few of her recipes though.

3)The complete Book of Raw Food--don't use this one much but it helped in the beginning.

4) Raw Food Made Easy--Jennifer Cornbleet, this book I use a lot for recipes. I like the simplicity and just love her cream of cucumber soup & cream of tomato soup. Also love her Key Lime Mousse & blueberry & apple crisp.

5) Gabriel Cousens's Rainbow Green Live Food Cuisine & Conscious Eating. Tried his basic cracker & that's about it. Most foods call for young coconuts & they don't look good at the stores here. Lots of good information in the books.

6) The Raw Gourmet--Nomi Shannon, beautiful pics makes me want to make everything. But I've only made a few things.

7) The Raw Transformation--Wendy Rudell, christmas present. I tried to make one bread recipe but didn't like it. Probably the book I least pick up.

8) 12 Steps to Raw Food, great book

9) The Raw Food Gourmet--Gabrielle Chavez, tried a couple of her recipes, didn't like them. I like the rest of the book though.

10)For my birthday, I got 3 books & one on order. Green For Life, very interesting book, and David Wolfe's books. Naked Chocolate, The Sunfood Diet Success System, & Eating for Beauty is on order. I like David Wolfe's books but they were not what I expected. He is very scientific. He packs a lot of info, haven't had any time to check the recipes out much. I did make the fudge and it didn't taste like fudge to me or my husband.
Old 08-14-2007, 03:59 AM
Hatchling

Excellent thread. I was wondering which books I should try as a transitioning raw foody. I actually went to the (extensive) local library to see what selection they had. I found nothing. Not one book on raw food. Great to see a thread with some good recommendations for me to buy.
Old 08-14-2007, 09:51 AM
Hatchling

The RAVE Diet & Lifestyle book & DVD by Mike Anderson - this DVD changed the way I think about everything, it is awesome. The RAVE diet is very similar to raw and I actually haven't read the book, it's kind of over my head, but the DVD I give out to everyone who is questioning eating meat and dairy. I sneakily played it while DH was at the table working, and what he heard made him want to drink green smoothies every day for breakfast! I love to give this DVD out to all my friends who are interested (sincerely) in eating vegetarian.

The Coconut Oil Miracle by Bruce Fife - it's an "okay" book - kind of interesting about coconut oil, to read about it, but alot of it I already knew from extensive research online.

Fresh Vegetable and Fruit Juices by Norman Walker - really interesting, although it's from the 1970's. Especially if you're into juicing for health.

Your Right to be Beautiful by Tonya Zavasta - this is an absolutely fascinating book. The author is a little obsessed with being "Beautiful" and how raw has helped her attain this, but the facts & everything are really inspiring and I've read it three times. I keep going back!

Beautiful on Raw unCooked Creations by Tonya Zavasta - I loved her first book so much I bought her second book. This one didn't have as much facts, as it does inspiration - very interesting testimonials by lots of women, as well as lots of recipes. I read this whenever I'm starting to get tired of being on raw because the separate, 2-4 page testimonials really inspire me.

12 Steps to Raw Foods, how to end your dependency on cooked food by Victoria Boutenko (the new, updated & much lengthier version that just came out) - this is another book I read cover to cover. I'd read a little every night and it is what mainly helped me to get through my first 11 day stretch of being 100% raw during summer camp this summer. Victoria really knows her stuff, and is an easy read - she also lives in Astoria, OR and I hope to see her speak someday because I live about an hour away.

Living on Live Food by Alissa Cohen - my raw Bible. This is the most extensive cookbook I have, and I use it just about every day. The first half is really informative, simple information about eating raw. Answers just about every question under the sun, and it's a big, thick book. TONS and tons of delicious recipes; I've only tried maybe 1/8 of them and they're really good, for the most part.

Living on Live Food DVD's by Alissa Cohen - these were informative to watch, but once you get the hang of it you don't need them anymore. For those who learn visually, it's a HUGE help - I learn more by reading so it was just okay for me. They are a companion to her book, and are especially helpful if cooking raw is really confusing & sounds complicated to you. They make it seem simple.

Green for Life by Victoria Boutenko - a friend borrowed this & I need to get it back...but it's lifechanging. It had a HUGE impact on me, seriously - I recommend reading this book before any of the others, about greens and how they're so important.

Raw Spirit, What the Raw Food Advocates Don't Preach by Matt Amsden - I've read it twice, it's a small little book and really informative, inspirational.

The China Study by T. Colin Campbell - I've only managed to wade through maybe 1/4 of this book, but it's a really hard read for me. Just lots & lots of studies and their results, it's not written in a very easy to read format. I do feel that I am more informed and confident in my decision not to eat meat so I'm glad I got it.

Conscious Eating by Gabriel Cousens - This is a huge, thick book that is WAY over my head. The only reason I bought it is because of a very good informative chapter on raw & pregnancy. I'll probably sell this one on Ebay or something because it was pretty spendy.

Baby Greens - This is another one I have about feeding your children raw.......it has a section on pregnancy & infants and raw that I was interested in. Semi-informative, but it also pushes other things that aren't raw that I didn't agree with, so it wasn't all that great.

I just bought the ANI'S RAW FOOD KITCHEN book and it's coming in the mail - I LOVE lots of pictures, especially of raw people who look inspiring so I'm thinking I'm going to love this book, especially if the recipes are good!
3 months pregnant with baby #7! ~
Old 08-14-2007, 12:37 PM
Hummingbird - Caretaker

Oh man, I think that Any's book is going to be on my wish list!

Eshne,
Same here. Our small library didn't have any raw books. However, we have what we call 'inter library loan' (at least here in Canada). You can basically order books from other libraries for a small fee ($1). This has allowed me to check out lots without having to buy them.
Old 08-14-2007, 02:29 PM
Swallow

"The Miracles Of Live Juices And Raw Foods" by John H. Tobe
"Fit For Life" by Harvey & Marilyn Diamond
"Fit For Life II: Living Health" by Harvey & Marilyn Diamond
"The Sunfood Success Diet" by David Wolfe
"Survival In The 21st Century" by Viktoras Kulvinskas
"Raw Food Life Force Energy" by Natalia Rose
"Become Younger" by Dr. Norman W. Walker
"Raw Spirit" by Matt Monarch

Last edited by rothamerica : 08-14-2007 at 02:31 PM.
Old 08-15-2007, 06:20 AM
Chickadee

What helped me at the start was the DVD's because this way of uncooking seemed like a foreign language....DVDs

Raw Gourmet Simplified by Victoria Boutenko

Living on Live Food by Alissa Cohen
Old 02-23-2009, 03:08 PM
Meadowlark

I have just noticed I rarely use my Sweet Gratitude (I am Grateful) Cookbook. I am not really sure why. Curious about Ani's new Dessert Book though...

Raw Freedom Community > Sunny Raw Lifestyle > Living 'In The Raw'