Raw Freedom Community  

Advertisement

Go Back   Raw Freedom Community > Sunny Raw Lifestyle > Living 'In The Raw'

Living 'In The Raw' The place to discuss All-Things-Raw! From transitioning to the Raw Food Diet, to equipment, special techniques and more.

Old 08-27-2007, 05:00 PM
Swallow

Question Buying Produce

I had a thought. I have been in to Kroger's now 3 days in a row and I see that organic produce is being pulled because magically A LOT is gone and I have a feeling there aren't too many college kids buying up produce. Would it be a good idea to talk to the store manager and tell him I have chemical sensitivites and basically have to have organic and since I'm a student I'm on a budget. I guess my point is, if they're pulling produce just because it has a small bruise or is a little wrinkly I don't mind at all. Do you think the manager would be ok with selling it to me on discount or is it against a health code or something? If this is a good idea, any suggestions for what to say to sound...grown up lol.
Old 08-28-2007, 08:00 AM
Swallow

It can't hurt to ask Dream. I asked at my local Giant what they did with the produce & fruits when it starts to go bad and was told that it is thrown away. I asked about buying it at a reduced rate but was told no. I don't know if they're afraid of being sued if you get sick or what but like I said, it can't hurt to ask about it. And they may be able to set some aside for you also so that you would be able to get what you need.
Old 08-28-2007, 08:41 AM
Meadowlark

Most markets legally can not sell produce that has passed its expiration date. I get up early and walk the dog each morning and we always hit the "alley" I drop by the back end of the market 2-3X a week, the produce manager throws perfectly good produce away, most stick it in the dumpster, it is still in it's original package most times. I am lucky enough to have the manager sit all produce that is still useable on their loading dock, I grab what I want. We drug home a case of bananas, that were perfectly ripe. I froze them for later use in smoothies. The other day I got a case of Dino Kale. It is all good and best of all FREE. I have gotten cabbage, romaine, spinach, oranges, apples, the list goes on.

Raw Love
Melissa
Old 08-29-2007, 08:32 AM
Finch

Lightbulb

I have been in lots of chain stores that sell "reduced" produce. (Can't remember if Kroger does or not...) The bananas are extra ripe, or the mangos are extra wrinkly... and they reduce the price.

Explain your situation, and ask if he would be willing to offer you a reduced price for reduced produce. If that is against their policy, ask if they will put it outside for you and you can pick it up each day!

Let us know how it goes!
Old 08-29-2007, 08:51 AM
Meadowlark

Reduced price produce, that is nice. They can not do that here, according to my produce manager at the local market (wild oats) Which is now going to be a WFS. I am excited about that. LOL

Raw Love
Melissa
Old 08-29-2007, 09:24 AM
Finch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raw Love View Post
the local market (wild oats) Which is now going to be a WFS. I am excited about that. LOL
Is that for real, or a bit of sarcaism (sp?) ?????

I wonder if each state has it's own guidelines for the produce, or if each store has their own policy. I don't remember seeing any when I lived in CO, but I was on a strict diet of Fat Tire and Easy Street Wheat...

I do know Meijer does it with produce, and so does my local HFS, and Kroger reduces the price on all kinds of things before they expire (bread, vegan "meats", prepared guac, etc.) but I don't remember seeing the regular produce... Hmmmm....
Old 08-29-2007, 12:23 PM
Meadowlark

Yea, Whole Foods just bought out Wild Oats, it was official yesterday. Wild oats has gradually been going down hill for the last year, so I am glad that we will have a nice place to shop within walking distance. Our wild oats is just a little neighborhood store and I hope it will improve with a new owner. We will see.

Produce: I did not actually look up any laws and I assumed that the laws varried from state to state. I am relying on what the produce manager has told me. I will have to look and see if there are actually any laws on selling produce that is past it's prime. I just never questioned it as I was getting it for free on the back dock. Also I have never seen and produce marked down anywhere, sometimes I have seen rotten fruit or veggies still sitting amongst the good stuff, makes me leave the store and try again at another place.

I'm not sarcastic. LOL Well sometimes I am. LOL

Raw Love
Melissa
Old 08-29-2007, 12:30 PM
Finch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raw Love View Post
Yea, Whole Foods just bought out Wild Oats, it was official yesterday.
WOW! I thought this fell through a couple of months ago! I am so outta the loop!
Old 08-29-2007, 06:21 PM
Meadowlark

It did fall thru. They had to comply with a few things?? and now it's officially a go, per the employees I spoke with last night, I have not heard anything in the press about it yet, but then again I have not looked.

Raw Love
Liss

Raw Freedom Community > Sunny Raw Lifestyle > Living 'In The Raw'