Raw Freedom Community  

Advertisement

Go Back   Raw Freedom Community > Sunny Raw Lifestyle > Living 'In The Raw'

Living 'In The Raw' The place to discuss All-Things-Raw! From transitioning to the Raw Food Diet, to equipment, special techniques and more.

Old 09-05-2007, 06:40 AM
Hatchling

Weight Gain Eating Raw

I've gain weight on a 100% raw diet. HELP
Old 09-07-2007, 01:08 PM
Hummingbird - Caretaker

Hi,

I'm no expert on the matter, but I'd say it can happen due to a number of factors, including your metabolism and your ideal weight. Also, you can certainly put on weight if eating a lot of foods with a high fat content such as nuts, seeds and avocados.
Old 09-07-2007, 01:22 PM
Finch

From my research, I found lots of people gain weight from raw. I think that is why many people start looking into a low-fat raw diet.

I know when I first got Alissa Cohen's Book & DVD I told my husband -- "This is it! I can eat anything I want, as much as I want, as long as it is raw! I can eat desserts for breakfast -- and the whole damn pie if I want!!" That is seriously what I took away from all that she was saying. Maybe that is just wanted to hear, but I know things like that were said.

I now look at it very differently. Eating like that will make anyone with weight issues fat. High fat diet = fat person. (if your genes allow!) Plus, it isn't healthy to consume all that fat -- even if you don't gain weight.

This is just my 2 cents! I am certain that there are people on this board that gained weight on raw. I think Ginger weighed her heaviest ever on raw, if I remember correctly? There may be a thread about this somewhere! I will look!
Old 09-19-2007, 08:49 PM
Hatchling

Exclamation Hmmm...

I have Alissa Cohen's book & DVD and I do what she says and am losing. There's a huge difference in raw fats and cooked.

To be able to help this person, the first question I'd ask is "What are you eating?" And: "Are you 100% raw?" If not, that's the problem. It was for me.

Alissa claims she has worked with 1000's of people and none have EVER gained weight being 100% raw. So before we jump the gun and blame raw fats, let's hear what this person is eating... or not eating. Balance is key. We have to have raw fats to lose weight.

Myself, 100% raw, I've never heard of people not losing from eating raw fats. If they are combing cooked with raw, then yes - you will gain. Not from the raw though.

Anyway, so what are you eating and what percentage raw are you?
Old 09-19-2007, 09:12 PM
Chickadee

I ate 100% raw for a time and gained a couple opf pounds when I over ate nuts and avos. I lost more when I allowed myself a few questionably raw condiments, while leaning out my protein choices to favor sea veggies and hemp powder over nuts.

All things in moderation, eh?

Anytime you over tax your body with calories and bulk, it will store the excess...what it cabnnot process. So eat in amounts which RESPECT your body, regardless of the food. If you do this, avoiding gluttony, you can eat anything and shed the "good food vs. bad food" thinking, and just steer yourself toward high quality, nutrient/energy dense food.

Some fats are great, but the idea of people eating four avocadoes, a pound of macademias, and a quarter cup of olive oil on green is enough to make my liver freak out! Giving the liver a break means being reasonable with fats. The liver is your fat furnace, so it makes sense to let it heal and then release toxins, and fat.

You can lose weight in a very healthy weight on raw, but if you have emotional eating issues you MUST deal with those if you want lasting success. There is only one "magic Bullet" and that is changing your mindset to support physical habits of a naturally/healthfully lean person.

Raw Freedom Community > Sunny Raw Lifestyle > Living 'In The Raw'