Raw Freedom Community  

Advertisement

Go Back   Raw Freedom Community > Sunny Raw Lifestyle > Growth and Self-Knowledge > Growth and Self-Knowledge General

Old 09-05-2007, 01:27 PM
Swallow

How did you break your strongest addiction?

*Takes a deep breath, a very, very deep breath*

I have a confession to make, and in doing so I hope to be taking a step in the right direction.

I am struggling to break an addiction to diet sodas (yep, pathetic as it may sound) and have so far been miserably unsuccessful. I just can't seem to find the freedom I desire and I don't understand why I am so connected to them. I know their dangers and understand fully what I am doing but I seem powerless to stop. I beat myself up on a daily basis and dream of the day when I will be free from their hold on me.

I am not trying to elicit a pity party nor heap condemnation on myself by posting this, so please don't use this as an opportunity to run me further into the ground. I am just so dumbfounded by my behavior and my inability to control myself.... I usually am quite noble in character and in other areas of my life very self-disciplined. It is just this one thing that I can't seem to master, and I feel it is ruining my health.

It would help if perhaps some of you could take the time to share your own personal story about how you beat your strongest addiction, no matter what it may have been. It would definitely encourage me and perhaps give me some insight into the whys and hows of my behavior. I just need to know that freedom is possible and that I will experience the abundant life I so desire- one of these days!

If you would feel more comfortable sending me a PM instead of posting your story here, by all means feel free to do so.

Now I shall assume the ostrich position with my head in the sand.... I will be up in a day or so when the embarrassment of my confession wears off

Love and Blessings to all.
Old 09-05-2007, 01:44 PM
Finch

Lightbulb

My friend just gave up diet Mt Dew one month ago! She just replaced it with water, her husband gave it up 2 weeks ago, and replaced it with coffee. He wants to deal with the soda thing first, and then the caffeine.

I don't have a great story -- but I know you can do it! I'll just be here, cheering you on!
Old 09-05-2007, 06:11 PM
Hummingbird - Caretaker

Hadassah, you won't regret this post, we can assure you. bravo, girl!

The issue of addiction is a big one for us all (whether it is realized or not) so much involved in this, isn't it. it can't be presented too strongly that addiction is a very serious and widely misunderstood issue, whose failure to deal with it deeply and effectively will prevent people from having any real chance at true freedom. simply stated, if one is addicted, it necessarily means one isn't really free, doesn't it?

how to go about this, eh?
there are a number of issues involved, aren't there? like what is addiction, really? like why do we get addicted? like what keeps us from breaking them, since they are so directly and indirectly debilitating to living a full and healthy life? like what is pain, and how can one best deal with it? for surely addictions are related to pain, are they not? and like whether control is an effective tool

this is a such a very Big subject, and deserving of serious attention. we personally have devoted years and years to it's solution for ourself, as we saw clearly that we could never attain the freedom we were 'looking for' if we didn't solve it. In order to approach this properly with any real hope of success, one needs to be prepared to 'pay any price' without reservation. that doesn't happen easily, as the 'price' can seem very high (ones whole approach to life and all it contains, lols!)

as don Juan (Castenada) says, "you can't do this work and live a normal life"

those who feel their lives are generally on track, that they only have one or two 'little' habits, and by exercising a bit of 'will power' they will have everything under 'control', and they can then gaily 'move on to bigger things', have a few rather unpleasant surprises in store for themselves, unfortunately.

this is from one of our posts in case anyone reading missed it.

Quote:
Addiction Formation
Quote:

Have we not been conditioned to attempt to gain an advantage in life by constantly using thought to predict the future?

We do this by mentally projecting from the past through the present into the imagined future. Although this seems to be a logical approach, it unfortunately breeds the painfully pressurized psychological states of FEAR and DESIRE.

In order to cope with this pressure, we are taught to numb the pain with all kinds of psychology and substances, which inevitably leads to mental neurosis and various addictions.

Addictions are repetitive unnecessary actions conducted as a means to an end, which is to numb pain. They are not a solution to the problem because they do not deal with the root cause. Their terribly debilitating side effects create additional difficulties, not to mention the vast energy loss incurred.

These processes, all of which consume energy, are all unbalanced, and come loaded with negative side effects, both physical and psychological. This causes even more painful pressure, and you can see the energetic negative spiral that is created.

This whole process is so endemic in society that it is accepted and ‘normalized’. Hence we have a designer coffee shop and pub on every second street corner. Substance abuse is relatively easy to acknowledge but difficult to cure.
we would be prepared to commit to address this further with anyone who feels they have the necessary seriousness. any takers?

all blessings

don

Last edited by Carmella : 09-05-2007 at 07:22 PM.
Old 09-05-2007, 06:24 PM
Chickadee

I wonder... if every time you feel the urge to drink a soda, you had a green smoothie instead... I wonder if that'd work. Green smoothies help a lot with cooked food addictions. Maybe they could help you break your soda addiction as well.
Old 09-05-2007, 07:36 PM
Swallow

hey. try to replace w/ something you love. give it up for 30 days & just don't have it around. best wishes!

Old 09-05-2007, 07:43 PM
Chickadee

Thumbs up

My strongest addiction was cigarettes and I broke the addiction by going on the Master Cleanse in January 2007 and instead of having a cigarette - I would swig the lemonade cleansing drink! Worked great - tasted great and cleansed my body at the same time!

It also helped me to stop and think that here I was cleaning out my body and to continue smoking was redundant... (and believe me ... I seriously tried to think of every excuse possible to continue smoking !!)

good luck... you'll do fine and I think it will end up being easier than you think!

blessings!

If you don't take care of your body ... where will you live?
Old 09-06-2007, 07:00 AM
Swallow

*pokes head out of the sand*

Thanks so much for the support and replies.... it truly warms my heart. Don, I knew you would provide some much needed insight into this. I have yet to take the time to read the articles you have posted, but I am truly looking forward to it. I hope you will be there for me when I struggle with more questions and need more information.

I really want to understand the psychology of addiction and why I am this way. Breaking this addiction is just not as simple as I thought it would be. I thought I could just stop drinking them, but there is an inner compulsion that I cannot seem to conquer. I don't know if my mind is tricking my body into thinking I need them or my body is tricking my mind.... all I know is it is a vicious cycle.

Somehow along the way I have formed a deep-seated connection with diet soda and believe they are my only source of happiness. I know that is not true, but for some insane reason I fear that if they are taken away from me, I will lose my happiness. Does that make any sense?

I am not afraid of pain or suffering.... in fact, I have suffered quite a bit physically in my life, through a serious reconstructive spinal surgery not to mention four natural childbirths, all without even uttering the word "ouch". I have quite a high pain and frustration tolerance and I have a pretty high degree of mental discipline. I just can't for the life of me put my finger on
way I am so unable to "mentally master" myself out of this addiction once and for all.

I am open to working this through with anyone who cares to help me understand this self-imposed trap I have gotten myself into. I am willing to answer any mind-probing questions that may lead me to the heart of this issue and help me to overcome this beast.
Old 09-06-2007, 07:48 AM
White Bird

Hi Hadassah,

Would you believe that I no longer carry diet sodas along with cigarettes in my store? From the get go I was opposed to selling cigs, but everyone warned me not to rid my shelves of them. Well, it's been almost two weeks since I surrendered my tobacco license, and I don't regret it one bit. I have lost my customer base of Marlboro's, Slim Jims and Budweiser, which has put a dent in my cash flow, but one has to take into consideration what is best for all concerned. Your health is at risk by drinking diet soda, but You are in charge of Your choices, and I hope that You can discern for Yourself that it is important enough to let it go. It's not a 12 step program.....think of it like this. If Diet Coke or Pepsi can clean your toilet bowl (which it can) then visualize that in your mind when you reach for the can of yuk!

I smoked for 13 years and kicked the habit over 26 years ago by someone telling me that when he kissed me it was like licking an ashtray. That was all I needed to hear, and I promptly sat on my hands instead of reaching for that pack of Marlboro's. I also found honey to bee very effective in surpressing my addition. It took only two weeks for me to overcome my desire to smoke, and am I ever grateful for quitting. Now if I could only become a vegetarian again!

peace,
misotrue
Old 09-06-2007, 08:02 AM
Meadowlark

I kicked my cigarette addiction by drinking Green Smoothies only for 2 months.
I just did not want a cigarette anymore. I was not as hard as I had thought it might be. This was almost 3 years ago.

Raw Love
Melissa
Old 09-06-2007, 09:09 AM
Hatchling

I smoked for 17 years and finally the day came when I told myself I didn't want to die. I wanted to live for my God, for myself, my husband, my children and my community. This was a tough road for me as I made an excuse to smoke, I made everything a big issue so I could have an excuse! I finally got to the point where I would tell myself, "you are slowly commiting suicide, you are giving up on life and your family". This really helped me as I had numerous "issues" throughout the years with depression, suicide attemps and so on. I told myself cigarettes were my best friend, not a very good friend, huh. I did quit smoking about a year ago!!! and now I know it was the best decision and I TRY to never look back!

Then comes my coffee addiction...OH BOY, there's a reason they call these addictions STRONGHOLDS! I think giving up coffee was almost as hard as quiting smoking. You know most of the time we nurture our addictions. For me, I had to buy the best coffee, and it had to be freshly ground everyday! I had to have flavored creamer, just the right amount of sweetener, and I drank a pot a day. That's beside what I would buy in the drive thrus. I was raised by a dad who is a coffee addict. He had me drinking coffee mixed with milk as soon as I could drink out of a cup. Then a FRIEND, and I do mean FRIEND, because it takes a real friend to tell you the truth! told me that coffee would eventually eat away my bones and he told me how awful this stuff is. So I quit! It was hard at first. I realized it was more of a ritual for me than anything else.

Now finally the nasty diet coke!!! Well, I decided to quit buying it for our house,,,,so of course I started stopping at the store and buying BIG GULPS, DAILY!!!! I have found out that my self talk about this one is CRAZY. Things like "Look what you've given up, you deserve it! You don't do drugs, you don't smoke, you don't drink coffee, you work so hard you deserve a little soda!". YIKES!!! Maybe we can work on this one together...

I love this forum! Thank you Don & Carmella. This is like an extended family. I love that we can be open and support each other.

Thank you for this topic! Maybe the next one can be about overeating Another BAD addiction!
Old 09-06-2007, 11:41 AM
Hummingbird - Caretaker

How To Break Addictions

OK, guys, lets get into IT. (ready for some discomfort, hey?)

first, remember that it's a form of insanity to do the same things and expect different results, right?

sooo... ya gotta be ready and willing to MAKE (BIG?) CHANGES!!! since everything is connected within and without, the addictions are signs that some aspects of your life 'that you can/must change' are not good/right for you (even though you may not yet know it) they are causing pain and you are 'coping' (ie continuing doing them) through using the addictive substances.

now, lets get serious and realize that 'positive thinking' (just say no says Nancy ha ha), and 'will power', won't do the trick over the long haul (you will in this case inevitably just replace one addiction with another or regress.)

the answer to this is by facing FACTS objectively - without condemnation - (yes, i'm addicted. full stop) and then exploring the FACT(s):

WHY do i do it?
WHAT is the real cause?
HOW do i 'feel' (pain?) before i take the substance?

this will lead one into examining ones life as it is currently set up, and it must be undertaken with rigor and relentless determination (the fear energies will not give up their hold without a fight, lol).
it won't be at all easy (it's why it's called the 'WORK',) but will be very well worth it, because an addiction broken and not replaced will 'pay its dividends' to you every day for the rest of your life, and unfortunately for most, if this 'work' isn't done, we have to 'pay the interest' every day for the rest of our lives! no one can do it for you - no one can prevent you from doing it if you wish to do it.

the choice is, for each of us, ours alone.

all blessings

don

Old 09-06-2007, 12:00 PM
Meadowlark

via soda to coffee and then to raw....

I can strongly advise eveybody drinking as both coffee and softdrinks, to first quit the soft drinks, which are much unhealthier than coffee for the following reasons:

1. due to the supplied acids, like phosphoric acid; 2. due to high fructose corn syrup, lately in the news for creating very bad endproducts in the body.
3. due to the bubbles in the soda's, which are very acidic.

Better drink coffee (with soyamilk you can get nice cappucino's!, so NO dairy)
And then...up to high or highest raw...

LL
Old 09-06-2007, 02:23 PM
Swallow

Cool

I divorced her.
Old 09-06-2007, 03:28 PM
Hatchling

Quote:
Originally Posted by rothamerica View Post
I divorced her.
Hah! This made me chuckle.
Old 09-06-2007, 05:49 PM
Swallow

i've been told that it only takes will power & work in the beginning to quit anything or form a new habit. but see where this all leads us.

i look forward to hearing about the progression from diet soda or any addiction. i have a few of my own. but just not soda or coffee or cigs... more like negative thoughts & other things.

Raw Freedom Community > Sunny Raw Lifestyle > Growth and Self-Knowledge > Growth and Self-Knowledge General