Raw Freedom Community  

Advertisement

Go Back   Raw Freedom Community > Sunny Raw Lifestyle > Growth and Self-Knowledge > Growth and Self-Knowledge General

Old 09-07-2007, 05:24 AM
Swallow

Don, I am ready to work through this and I appreciate the fact that you have devoted yourself already to gaining this knowledge. I am humbled that you are willing to share it with me and trust me, I am ready and willing to learn.

I have taken the first step.... I admit that I am addicted and it is disrupting my life in a very tragic way. I want to be free.

I hear everyone's suggestions about green smoothies and I do drink them... unfortunately, they have not proven to be the pivotal answer in eliminating my addiction. This goes deeper, folks, much deeper. I am sure that if you stranded me on a desert island for one month with no soda, I would not be cured of my addiction. I would return to drinking it because it is not just a "stop doing it" will power type of issue. It is a compulsion that I cannot control nor can I just tell my flesh "no"--- it is way too strong.

Anyway, I want to explore the reasons why I cannot "will" myself out of this and why I am feel as if I need this in order to be happy and complete.

So, I am going to explore my heart and mind and see if I can answer the three questions you proposed, Don.

Why am I doing this?
What is the real cause?
How do I feel before I drink it?

I am going to ponder them today and perhaps post some answers later.

I truly don't want this thread to be all about me, either. If anyone else has addictions they are wanting to work through, please feel free to join me in exploring the hows and whys. I would love the company.
Old 09-07-2007, 06:56 AM
White Bird

addictions

Prior to purchasing this store I was addicted to shopping. It didn't matter what I bought, as long as I was fulfilling my need to spend money. I realized a few years ago that my shopping binges were only creating more havoc in my life, because the "things I bought only created more clutter in my house, and the messy house is what I was running away from in the first place. I was unhappy in my life, and the thrill of finding a bargin eased my pain for the moment.

I discovered a forum named, flylady.com, and that's where I started to see how I could put both my house and spirit back in order. Well, it works, and only 15 minutes at a time is all you have to surrender of yourself. The object is to set your timer for 15 minutes, and get something done that needs attention. Hadassah, perhaps you could set your timer when the inkling for a diet soda overcomes you, and when the bells rings and you have folded a load of laundry, or something that needed attention in your household, your need for that soda will have discipated. Heck, it's worth a try, and the worst thing that could happen is that your home will become a little cleaner. Good luck, and allow the Universe to provide for you.

peace,
misotrue

ps~f.l.y. stands for "finally loving yourself."
Old 09-07-2007, 12:53 PM
Swallow

Quote:
Originally Posted by misotrue View Post
Hadassah, perhaps you could set your timer when the inkling for a diet soda overcomes you, and when the bells rings and you have folded a load of laundry, or something that needed attention in your household, your need for that soda will have discipated. Heck, it's worth a try, and the worst thing that could happen is that your home will become a little cleaner. Good luck, and allow the Universe to provide for you.

peace,
misotrue

ps~f.l.y. stands for "finally loving yourself."
Thank you so much for your idea... I think I will give it a try.

I have had a horrible day today. I gave two of my precious sugar gliders (cute little pocket pets) to a special friend of mine and she decided not to follow my instructions for diet. One glider is now dead and the other one is severely ill with hypocalcemia-induced Hind Leg Paralysis. I have been up for two nights helping them out and spent several hours at the vet with them today.

I am mentally and physically exhausted and you guessed it.... drowning my sorrows in Diet soda. I believe I have had around 5 cans today.

Thank God for tomorrows and brand new starts. I am off to get some rest now.
Old 09-09-2007, 11:42 PM
Swallow

Hello everyone...

I think I am making a lot of progress towards killing this addiction. 36 hours ago I decided that I will never drink another drop of soda again, no matter what. I have been without my beloved death elixir for 36 hours and I am doing better than I thought I would.

Of course the withdrawal headaches are not pleasant and I am experiencing quite a bit of nausea, which I didn't expect. However, I welcome these discomforts for they remind me that my addiction is dying and that my freedom is drawing closer.

The hard part is the constant temptation, which I have been successful in battling so far. Each time I tell my screaming flesh "no" I feel stronger and more confident, but I am also taking this one day at a time.

My birthday is in one week and the best present I could give myself is rested adrenal glands and a poison free bloodstream. This is my birthday gift to myself and I think it is the best one I have ever received.

Anyway, thank you all for the support and loving kindness. Wish me well on my journey! I may do a Master Cleanse after my withdrawal symptoms dissipate somewhat. I am excited about purifying my body and spirit and becoming the best me that I can be.
Old 09-10-2007, 08:03 AM
Swallow

please keep up posted! "death elixir?"

I also read that if you print out a calendar, & then at the end of the day mark an "x" or something on the day you successfully did overcome an addiction for the day or in the process of forming a habit like exercising more, it helps. Kind of going it day by day until you not going through your addiction at all just becomes habit.

Right now, I'm going to print out a sheet of 9. I'm not sure I need 9 though, haha. Attached is a copy of the sheet if anyone is interested.

Goodluck!!!
Attached Files
File Type: pdf sept07.pdf (225.7 KB, 65 views)

Last edited by konmai : 09-10-2007 at 08:26 AM.
Old 09-10-2007, 09:07 AM
Chickadee

Hadassah, I just read this thread and my heart goes out to you...I am a recovering drug addict and I know alot about addictions...I've been clean 13+ years and I do it one day at a time...I know diet soda isn't an illegal drug yet addictions are addictions...I can overdo exercise, reading, talking, you name it...compulsive behavior...and yes, we already know how bad coffee, soda, etc. is....I knew alcohol wasn't good for me yet I couldn't stop...or all the other things I was putting in my body to change the way I was feeling...I can be addicted to avocados...will they kill me??? Probably not but too much of anything isn't good.

You've already done the first step and admit your powerless over soda...and I say those of us that are honest and say things 'outloud' are really saying what a lot of others are thinking...and I know what I can't do alone I can do together with the support of others who understand how I feel.

Thank you so much for sharing about your addiction because it helps keep mine in check to know I'm not alone...my obsession to use drugs/alcohol was lifted 13 years ago but because of my addictive behavior I can fill it in with something else....

Please keep posting...your doing great ... one day at a time...sometimes one hour at a time...share with this forum every time you have that feeling to 'use'....

As much as the psychological addiction, those sodas have very powerful chemicals that keep us addicted so give yourself a break and know it's more then just will power...the same as those awful cigarettes for those still smoking...they have powerful chemicals as well as tobacco to keep us addicted and buying more.

You can do it, I have faith in you...oh, I also ask my higher power to lift those obsessive feelings...today I thank him for lifting them.

Elaine
Old 09-10-2007, 09:21 AM
Finch

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hadassah View Post
Hello everyone...

I think I am making a lot of progress towards killing this addiction. 36 hours ago I decided that I will never drink another drop of soda again, no matter what. I have been without my beloved death elixir for 36 hours and I am doing better than I thought I would.
GREAT JOB! WOOHOO! Keep up all that great work!
Old 09-10-2007, 02:54 PM
Hummingbird - Caretaker

Hey Hadassah (and everyone)

Quote:
(bold highlight ours) - isn't this an exercise of 'willpower' we warned about?

The LAW of Cause and Effect: 'every effect has a cause and every cause has an effect'

if one doesn't deal with the 'cause', but just the 'effect', then you have the same process why the medical systems are going broke, (while the population gets ever more unhealthy, no?)

we know how difficult this can be, but avoiding won't help, so here are some questions for you, Hadassah (because we really do care)

- do you know what 'caused' you to become addicted in the first place?

- have you dealt with that 'cause'?

- if this process fails, will you tell us? we won't be able to help you if you don't, will we? (your self image will have to suffer, won't it)

(failure can happen in one of two ways - either re-assertion of the same addiction or replacement with another)

all blessings

don

Old 09-11-2007, 05:23 AM
Swallow

Don,

Thank you so much for your thoughtful post! I am in the process of examining the hows and whys of my addiction but I also am suffering so many ill effects I need to try to stop now. The caffeine has seriously disrupted my sleep cycles, is causing heart palpitations and restless legs syndrome. I also am experiencing some weird sensations in my brain that are difficult to explain, but I wonder if I might be having hidden seizures from the aspartame overload.

Why am I addicted? Although I am not done with my soul-searching, my preliminary work has brought me to the conclusion that I am a giver. Like most mothers, I have given all that I have to my family and then much, much more without refilling my own cup of life. Yep, I do it ALL. I am left feeling empty and stuck in an endless trap of constant demands and I escape with a beverage that I enjoy the taste of (disgusting as it may sound) and I enjoy the lift that it gives me. Diet soda, in my twisted mindset, "gives" to me whereas the rest of the world takes and demands all that I have.

I actually feel so embarrassed writing this because I know that all mothers feel this way... why should I be so different and blaming my addiction on the everyday demands of motherhood? The answer is so simple, too. Just take time for yourself, right? That would be so much easier if I had a husband who could take up the slack if I were to escape for a while, but unfortunately he doesn't seem able to do that. Also, if I were to escape, I would return home to the same demands, so what would that accomplish?

What am I doing to eliminate the cause? Trying to take some of the demands off of myself. Understanding that not everyone will do things the way I want them done, so let it go and delegate the responsibility anyway. Understanding that if I don't nurture myself, my children will suffer. Find time to do the things that I enjoy... ALONE, without my husband and children. Trying to rediscover me... who and what I am.

That is the start of my work. I may fail in my exercise of willpower, but I will only truly fail if I stop working on my addiction.

And yes, Don, if I fall flat on my face I will definitely post and let you all know! I have nothing to lose as I have bared it all here and I have felt comfortable doing so. Thank you for setting up a safe haven where people like me can get the help they need. I truly love this place!
Old 09-12-2007, 11:05 AM
Hummingbird - Caretaker

Hadassah;

thats all really positive from what you say. so far, so good!

the thing we would advise you would be this. all serious councilors today say that it is necessary in multiple person living situations, to involve/include everyone in the process, as even if there is no co-dependancy, everyone plays a part. (and there may well be co-dependancy) they will either help or hinder you, depending on how well you handle the process with them. you need to come to some agreed arrangement with them all individually and collectively. they must be shown that it is in their best interest as well as yours to beat this thing. (it will invariably help them look at their own issues re addictions, IF again it is handled properly)

This may not be easily done, but it is surely a key ingredient in ultimate success.

Never give up. We are with you in the Spirit (and we have some rather good company)

all blessings

don

Old 11-03-2009, 07:20 PM
Swallow

How did you break strongest addiction?

Believe it or not, I had to be hit in the head with a paperback that fell from a top shelf in the used bookstore, before I could start down this path of conquering any addiction (long story), but I would say that even though "Psycho-cybernetics" sounds and looks like a corny approach, it was a miraculous find for me......I quit smoking 2 packs a day, became a vegetarian, took up regular exercise, and gained quite a bit of self-esteem along the way.....of course, nothing happens overnight; the main thesis of this book is that if you can imagine it, and imagine it strongly enough, then the change will stick, but it's necessary to have patience, as the cro-magnum portion of your brain is still in well.......cro-magnum thinking process, so it doesn't even know you made a change for about six-weeks. so.....patience and perseverance......old cliche's, but also very apropos. best of luck.
Old 11-04-2009, 05:00 PM
Swallow

meditation
Old 02-14-2010, 07:53 AM
Hatchling

I drank coca-cola everyday for breakfast, and drank coffee for the rest of the day (shudder). I was in my 20's and I think that's the only reason my body tolerated it.

I don't know if it will help you, but I miss the "fizz" of soft drinks.... I replaced my addiction with club soda (no sodium) or mineral water with a whole squeezed lime in in. I still get the fizz I crave, with a kick of the citrus.
Old 02-14-2010, 08:27 AM
Chickadee

...without reading all these posts and if it's been stated, then it's worth repeating again...

Replace the bad/SAD/CRAP addiction with living Raw foods.
Old 02-14-2010, 10:15 AM
Bad Mumble Jumble Dodo Bird

from some lecture................. WE CRAVE.......... because we did not get proper nutrients..........so the 'craving' is really the body begging for nutrition and we give it more soda, or candy, or chocolate, or a cigarette or a or a or a.............

Victoria Boutenko states; once the body is 'nourished' it does not have cravings....... especially for junk

I proved this to be true for myself................in past life............i would drink 5-6 pepsi and not even know it............time to clean my desk and gimminie 5 cans ! what the heck............then I ate Lunch and if I had to have a pepsi I waited till I could not hold it anymore and actually took time out and went out of my way to really 'enjoy it' the fizz and ah ''da''' burp !!!!

Not having had Pepsi for like 5=6 years now...........I actually tasted the fizzzzzzzzzzzzz in my mouth and then almost the burp with NO PEPSI...then my son brought me a can of Pepsi!... ''mom' if you'r gonna torture yourself this bad, just '''HAVE IT''' the can (unopened) is still stitting here...........a reminder of what has been......toxic drinking habit !

In Boot Camp they told me that was a true detox !

Raw Freedom Community > Sunny Raw Lifestyle > Growth and Self-Knowledge > Growth and Self-Knowledge General