Raw Freedom Community  

Advertisement

Go Back   Raw Freedom Community > Sunny Raw Lifestyle > The Recipes > Desserts and Sweet Treats

Old 09-06-2007, 10:17 AM
Finch

Arrow Donut Holes by Ani Phyo

Donut Holes
by Ani Phyo, posted on her Blog

Here’s a delicious raw vegan donut hole recipe. Naturally sweetened with whole dates, and flavored with vanilla. Plus, coconut, which is a great source of eletrolytes. I love making these with kids, they have a lot of fun rolling up the balls with their hands.

1 cup almonds, dry
1/4 teaspoon sea salt
1 vanilla bean, scraped
1 cup dried pineapple, chop
1 cup pitted dates
5 Tablespoons dried shredded coconut

Watch this show: 4min 18sec (Youtube)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	donut holes.jpg
Views:	268
Size:	24.1 KB
ID:	708  
Old 09-06-2007, 11:32 AM
Chickadee

Talking

OMG!!! THESE ARE WONDERFUL!!!

and..... the first time I made them - I was short on pineapple sooo....
I ended up using 3/4 cup pineapple
1/4 cup chopped dried mango...

OMG.... I called them 'tropical balls' --- they are AMAZING!!!

Yummm!!!!

If you don't take care of your body ... where will you live?
Old 09-18-2007, 01:03 PM
Meadowlark

isnt that perfect! i bought unsulfured pineapple this weekend to make something else! ill be adding these to the list!!
Old 09-19-2007, 09:00 AM
Bad Mumble Jumble Dodo Bird

StarFire; thanks; I was looking for pineapple and so far did not find any; but the mango (dried) and fresh pineapple great idea ! Joz
Old 09-22-2007, 03:13 PM
Swallow

Since I never have dried pineapple I had to tweak these a bit.

I added dried apple and some cinnamon and nutmeg. They were fantastic!

Living on Live Food Teacher
Old 01-14-2008, 12:34 PM
Meadowlark

Just made these tasty little gems!

A winner and so easy to do!

www.pamstriker.com
Old 01-14-2008, 01:07 PM
Hummingbird - Caretaker

These were a real hit! A keeper for sure.

Here's another variation I just tried today.

Ani Phyo's Banana Nut Donut Holes
Posted in VegNews magazine

"These 'donut holes' are amazingly delicious and totally guilt-free, providing protein, calcium, potassium and plenty of B vitamins. They double as dessert and breakfast treat."

Serves 6

1 cup raw almonds
1 cup raw pecans
5 dehydrated bananas, chopped
2 cups Medjool dates, pitted
seeds from 1 vanilla bean
1/4 cup shredded coconut

In a food processor, chop almonds and pecans into small bits. Slowly add bananas, dates and vanilla bean, and process until dough is mixed well.

Using an ice cream scooper, form dough into donut-hole-size rounds. Roll in shredded coconut.

Carmella's Note:
I just made it with shannonmarie's variation, replacing the bananas with apricots and adding a dash of cinnamon. I also rolled some of the balls into a mixture of cinnamon and carob powder. Yummo!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DonutHoles2W.jpg
Views:	173
Size:	25.2 KB
ID:	1613  
Old 01-14-2008, 07:42 PM
Chickadee

Love these!!!!!
Old 01-14-2008, 10:22 PM
Hummingbird - Caretaker

I brought the apricot, cinnamon version at the potluck today and they were sooooo yummy too. Everyone loved them!
Old 01-15-2008, 07:08 AM
Rawbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carmella View Post
I brought the apricot, cinnamon version at the potluck today and they were sooooo yummy too. Everyone loved them!
Hey Carmella!

Do you mind telling us how much apricots are needed for the recipe? Please note that I love snacking on Turkish apricots and can easily imagine how delicious "donut holes" would be with those apricots.

By the way, I am going to try using alcohol-free vanilla extract for this recipe. Do you think it is a bad idea? I don't mind using the beans, but they are not available in my local store. Of course, the extract is not raw, but only a very small amount is needed. I have been using the Frontier brand and it has a nice mellow vanilla flavor.

Please keep up with the posting on delicious recipes!

Wayne
Old 01-15-2008, 08:20 PM
Hummingbird - Caretaker

Hiya Wayne! *waving*

Hum, good question. I didn't keep track but I'd say 1/4 cup or so. Now that I look back at the recipe, that's a pretty high ratio of sweetener vs nuts. They were indeed quite sweet (and so were the original ones). I'll try cutting down on the dates a little next time I make these. And yep, vanilla extract will work just fine. That's what I used too.

Enjoy!
Old 08-24-2008, 01:16 PM
rawwon

Dried Coconut is HIGH MYCOTOXIN and other ingredients are HIGH SUGAR GLYCEMIC INDEX IMPORTANT INFO!

Hi Sadly there are new people who claim to be raw experts or raw chefs, they are not. How can you tell? Well they use wrong bad ingredients that should be avoided, so they obviously do not know what they are doing and creating just bad raw recipes that make people think they are good and healthy, this is a dis service to the RAW Community. Real healthy raw food does not use ANY HIGH Mycotoxic Ingredients, we should make all RAW Chefs and Authors agree to this. Dried Coconuts is the highest Mycotoxic Ingredient there is, what are mycotoxins? Read Gabriel Cousens MD's The Rainbow Green Live Food Cuisine, mycotoxins are toxins that can open up your body to disease, cancer, fungus, yeast infections, etc. when you eat a high mycotoxic ingredient it releases mycotoxins into your blood and body, it is really bad. Fresh Raw Organic Coconuts does not have this problem, only when you dry them do mycotoxins grow and thrive in them even if organic, any author or chef knows this only Ani did not do research and has everyone on her mycotoxin recipes and diet! Also real raw food is about keeping sugar and the glycemic index low, her use of dates and other high sweetners again reflects her lack of understanding or creating real raw healthy recipes. Be careful!
Old 08-24-2008, 02:11 PM
Bad Mumble Jumble Dodo Bird

rawwon:

you write: any author or chef knows this only Ani did not do research and has everyone on her mycotoxin recipes and diet! Also real raw food is about keeping sugar and the glycemic index low, her use of dates and other high sweetners again reflects her lack of understanding or creating real raw healthy recipes.

It seems that you might benefit from a study on glycemic index. Also; do you understand??? Transitional Recipes???? When you go off the SAD diet you'r body craves all sorts of foods and one must supply some of the needs, then detox, then hopefully '''healthy foods'''' I'm glad for Ani who's recipes are helping SAD eaters off into RAW eaters.

You seem to be 'so' advanced and enlightened then please do not use and/or attack Ani especially here; You have issues with her???she has contact information, please get in touch with her? Yes? Joz
Old 07-21-2010, 03:23 PM
Hatchling

I made these without any fruit, and they were yum.
Old 07-23-2010, 02:48 PM
Meadowlark

Would you believe I never tried these? I'm getting some raw dried pineapple for Sirova soon, so I'll be making them for sure.

Raw Freedom Community > Sunny Raw Lifestyle > The Recipes > Desserts and Sweet Treats