Raw Freedom Community  

Advertisement

Go Back   Raw Freedom Community > Sunny Raw Lifestyle > Raw Food Preparation - General

Raw Food Preparation - General Share and learn about raw food prep, ingredients, recipes and tips.

Old 09-08-2007, 04:35 PM
Hatchling

Exclamation Help! Hah-hah-habanero!

I'm in the midst of making RawFoodRealWorld's Pumpkin Squash Couscous with Habanero Harissa and Lemon Spiced Pimpkin seeds..

The habanero is SUPERHOT as I know, so I used only 1/3 of what they recommended, deseeded and deveined, thinking it would be just a nice mild barely-there burn. I just tasted it half way through it's dehydration and WOAH it is HAWT. I mean WAY TO HAWT!

Is there anything I can add to help subdue the heat a little bit??

I was considering citrus, maybe lime or orange juice.. or some salt? I don't want to compromise the flavour too much, it's already quite sweet because of all the red bell peppers in it.

Any ideas at all?!?! Thanks...

(And I'll be sure to post pictures and let y'all know how it turns out. I'm itching with anticipation as is because I tasted the couscous and squash mixture and they are both well, mmmmmmmm )
Old 09-08-2007, 09:34 PM
Hummingbird - Caretaker

Oh nooooooo! I hope you've managed to salvage your recipe, being. My first thought was to suggest some sweetener but I guess it's a little late, and, as you said, it was already quite sweet.

Bummer, eh? I figured out early on that my taste buds are totally not able to take what most recipes call for in terms of 'heat', so I always cut wayyyyy down on the amounts too.

Anyhoo, let us know how it turns out. Sure sounds yum though...
Old 09-09-2007, 07:00 AM
Quetzal

Beleive it or not, in Mexico they use peanutbutter and chocolate to cut down the heat of their sauces, like mole. When you buy mole sauce at farmers markets there, they ask you how hot you like it and if you prefer it mild, they add more peanutbutter to the already prepared mole (which is made with various chiles and chocolate).

I would guess that any nut butter would have the same effect. I think I would try sunflower butter. I hope its not too late for you to incorporate chocolate or nutbutter into your harissa. Good luck and let us know how it turns out.

Peaches
Old 09-09-2007, 07:03 AM
Quetzal

BTW, you would never know there is peanutbutter or chocolate in the mole sauce, you can't taste it. Somehow, it does not change the flavor, only the heat.

Peaches
Old 09-09-2007, 10:39 AM
Hatchling

Thanks.. and here it is

Thank you for your ideas...

I ended up adding a tinch more sweetner, like 1 tsp maybe... and just let it be. My sister thought the heat was perfect and for me, well, my entire mouth felt on fire during the meal, but it was actually a pleasant heat.

And the other components of the dish complemented one another SO perfectly, the superheat of the harissa was balanced by the couscous and then the squash mixture I was hesitant just because of the weird seasonings, but it too, was perfect!

I honestly say, I wouldn't change anything at all in the recipe I really really liked it and will definitely make it many times more... or even just parts of it. **OK no, that's not true, we both thought it would be even more deluxe and beautiful with a bright turmeric coloured sauce squirted across.. maybe using orange juice, turmeric, almond or olive oil and something else...** Otherwise, aesthetically speaking the whole dish was so gorgeous. I wish my photo did it justice, but alas, it does not

The ONLY negative is the TIME FACTOR. I was in the kitchen for pretty much 3+ hours of hands-on time, not to mention in and out of the dehydrator to check (but I'm also a bit of a perfectionist )

Here's a photo of the delicious morrocan dinner:

Zucchini and Baby PattyPan Squash with Couscous and Habanero Harissa & Lemon Spiced Pumpkin Seeds
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	morrocanmeal2.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	35.4 KB
ID:	727  
Old 09-09-2007, 11:35 AM
Hummingbird - Caretaker

So glad your dish turned out so well in the end. I'm also a sucker when it comes to beautiful presentation and Wow! This looks A-MA-ZING!!! Thanks for sharing!
Old 09-09-2007, 12:30 PM
Quetzal

It looks wonderful, Being. Wish I could taste it, I love hot dishes!

Raw Freedom Community > Sunny Raw Lifestyle > Raw Food Preparation - General