Raw Freedom Community  

Advertisement

Go Back   Raw Freedom Community > Sunny Raw Lifestyle > Living 'In The Raw'

Living 'In The Raw' The place to discuss All-Things-Raw! From transitioning to the Raw Food Diet, to equipment, special techniques and more.

Old 09-20-2007, 10:44 AM
Swallow

best smoothie making equipment?

hi guys. i need some advice! i'm currently fasting but would like to prepare for when i'm off the fast. would you guys be able to recommend any good equipment for smoothie making? i don't think i've ever made one. something long lasting, can readily be abused & also price efficient in the long term.

i think i might try just taking in smoothies after my fast.

1. i'm a lazy uncooker which is probably 1 of the reasons why i can fast for so long.
2. i'd like to get all my nutrition in. so i think making smoothies everyday would be good for me. easy & ready to go.
3. i'm also a lazy eater. chewing is not my thing.

Old 09-20-2007, 03:18 PM
Finch

You need a blender, some ice and some bananas!

Really, there are tons of things you can put in them. Go to Valeries Green Smoothie Experiment to learn more about what to put in them for living on green smoothies: http://greensmoothieexperiment.blogspot.com/

Ask me something specific...maybe I will be more help! LOL!
Old 09-20-2007, 03:24 PM
Meadowlark

You definately need a vita mix!!!! ive had mine for over 7 years and its still going strong (ive put it through a LOT of strain too!).
Old 09-20-2007, 06:19 PM
Swallow

oh. i've heard of vitamix. so err.. vitamix or anyone have a suggestion for specific blender specs i should look for?

easy to clean. easy to use. light to travel with. can be abused.

Old 09-20-2007, 08:51 PM
Hummingbird - Caretaker

I would definitely recommend a Vitamix too. I'm totally in love with mine! Super easy to use and reliable. We went on for years with cheapo brands, but then had to replace them regularly. So you're better off paying more for quality.

I did a lot of research before setting my mind on a high speed blender. What it basically came down to was Ktec's Total Blender and Vitamix. I opted for the V in the end because of the warranty. While Ktec's warranty has actually gone DOWN from 7 years to 3 ( - now, why would they want to do that if they felt confident about their product?), Vitamix offers a 7 year warranty on ALL parts, including the carafe which is usually one to get more wear and tear.

You can also buy refurbished units which means they have been returned to the company, but thoroughly tested and given a brand new jug. (It's what I got.) On the Vitamix 5000, you save roughly $50 (comes to $349). They also sell a Super model which comes with an additional 'dry' jug, but the latter is not really necessary.

If you do decide to go for it, you can get free shipping by giving this code: 06-002513 - RFC's affiliate number. (The commission earned goes toward the running of the forum as well as revenue sharing.)

Anyhoo, you can check it out here.
Old 09-20-2007, 10:40 PM
Sweety Tweety Bird

Quote:
Originally Posted by konmai View Post
1. i'm a lazy uncooker which is probably 1 of the reasons why i can fast for so long.
2. i'd like to get all my nutrition in. so i think making smoothies everyday would be good for me. easy & ready to go.
3. i'm also a lazy eater. chewing is not my thing.
Hey you sound just like me!!! I fast frequent too because I am lazy to make foods and I eat simply....

Quote:
Originally Posted by konmai View Post
easy to clean. easy to use. light to travel with. can be abused.
I have a Ktec but that is not one you want to travel with. However i have been wanting a Tribest. I heard it is good, visit Tribest.

I know Lana aka RJL has one..... now I have to do this again....

.....paging for Khun Lana..... paging for Khun Lana.... can you please come to aisle 4 we have a customer enquiring Tribest product.....

ps : Khun = Mr or Mrs/Miss/Ms in Thai
Old 09-20-2007, 11:12 PM
Meadowlark

Talking

I have a Hamilton beach - 12 speed - wave action. This baby shreads the #%&@ out of all my veggies I stick in it - it crunches any ice I throw at it - she makes awesome smoothies she takes care of me
I too I'm pretty simple eater,(sp?). It does a great job for me. It's all thick glass with metal cutting blades. I make 3/4 of my meals in it.
Old 09-21-2007, 03:36 AM
Finch

Do we need "the best of the best"?

There are blenders out there that cost $400 (and I have one -- that I HAD to have one when I first started), however, I am not certain that they are necessary. I remember reading that Don & Carmella just got their Vitamix recently, so we know great raw food & smoothies can be prepared without it.

I agree once you use one, it may be hard to go back. I just feel like so much in the raw food world is how you NEED this or that, and it is always very pricey. It feels elitest (sp?) and it kinda pushes me away from the raw food community.

If one has never made a smoothie before -- get a blender and try it. Don't spend $400 to see if you are going to like them, that just doesn't seem logical to me.

Just my thoughts....
Old 09-21-2007, 09:53 AM
Hummingbird - Caretaker

Quote:
If one has never made a smoothie before -- get a blender and try it. Don't spend $400 to see if you are going to like them, that just doesn't seem logical to me.
True! I guess I'm just so blown away by how efficient and awesome the Vitamix is, I didn't take into consideration that it isn't a 'must have', specially at first.
Old 09-21-2007, 06:43 PM
Swallow

thank you everyone for the suggestions!

i have a blender i got for about maybe $40+ at the time, & it sucks. maybe about 20 mins. to blend some nanas & ice. that's not including the time i had to open the cover & keep stirring the mixture around to have it blend well. which led me to making this post, b/c i was wondering if people were using something else other than a blender. now i know it's more about the quality of the blender itself, & i don't really know what specs to look for in a blender which may be more efficient for me. you see... i am so clueless!

hm... i only eat once a day(when i'm not fasting), b/c i am simply that lazy & somehow sitting down to eat is just er... doesn't strike my fancy. but i remember i froze some mangos once (b/c they were close to going bad), & i blended them. it was so delicious while i was eating w/ a spoon, hehe. my energy levels were most awesome, & i want to try eating my meals as smoothies.

Last edited by konmai : 09-21-2007 at 07:00 PM.
Old 09-21-2007, 11:40 PM
Nuthatch

I am shopping for a new blender too. My intuition is that spending 400 dollars on a blender is unnecessary if you intend mostly to make smoothies with it. I've done a little looking around and it seems like Oster's Beehive blenders get great reviews. They are simple (only two speeds), very powerful (500-600 watt motors), and relatively inexpensive (around 60 dollars). This seems like an ideal blender for smoothies. If I get one I will report my impressions.
Old 09-22-2007, 06:58 AM
Chickadee

I make a lot of green smoothies and started out with a borrowed blender...your basic Hamilton Beech model that I think retails for about $30...it worked fine.

I bought a used Vitamix 3600 model on Ebay and I like it, too...what I like about it is it makes 64 ounces and it has a little spicket in the front so I can taste as I go along...oh, it was $125....

My friends have the fancy model of Vitamix and they LOVE it...I just couldn't afford it and I'm quite happy with the older version.

Elaine
Old 09-22-2007, 12:30 PM
Swallow

thanks guys for letting me know what you all use & your present impressions as well as future impressions of other models. since i'm fasting, i'll have time to do some research & shop around. so that's def. good.

yeah. i'm pretty much just going to blend veggies & fruits into a somewhat smoothie consistency. i'll probably rarely use ice, & the only frozen stuff i'll be throwing in is probably frozen fruits in times i buy a lot & didn't have time to blend them before they go bad.

Old 09-22-2007, 06:47 PM
Meadowlark

Talking

here's my work horse...blender:

http://www.hamiltonbeach.com/product...der.php?page=5
Except mine is all black with white buttons. It's a great kitchen tool
Old 09-22-2007, 07:23 PM
Meadowlark

heres my new war machine = salton select 550 watt blender @ $16

ps - on a close out sale , regularly $40 .

yours truly , " the ninja shopper "
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 073.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	19.3 KB
ID:	815  

Raw Freedom Community > Sunny Raw Lifestyle > Living 'In The Raw'