Raw Freedom Community  

Advertisement

Go Back   Raw Freedom Community > Sunny Raw Lifestyle > Living 'In The Raw'

Living 'In The Raw' The place to discuss All-Things-Raw! From transitioning to the Raw Food Diet, to equipment, special techniques and more.

Old 09-24-2007, 10:42 AM
Atlantic Puffin

Question Looking for DURIAN in DC/MD/VA

Hi everyone!

Has anyone seen or bought or heard anyone say they've seen a Durian anywhere near DC/MD/Va? I really want to try one, and I'm having trouble locating one.

Thanks!
Abby
Old 09-24-2007, 12:31 PM
Swallow

Hi there. I'm in MD. There's 2 korean stores near me and 1 thai one. All 3 carry durian. Oh. There's also a Cambodian store in Rockville, MD. Maybe look in a local asian market?
Old 09-24-2007, 01:44 PM
Atlantic Puffin

7270-

Thanks! Great news! Do you know the names of the markets you've seen it in?

I went to Chinatown today with no luck, and am not sure of any asian markets that are closer to me.
Old 09-24-2007, 07:28 PM
Swallow

Oh. I think the chinatown in dc is more geared towards tourists & probably wouldn't carry fruits like durian. There might be an asian market near you that does. I'll be giving you addresses to nearby known stores, b/c they're the only ones i can find addresses to online. All the stores are in the same shopping strip. In most cases, the asian market is right there & will be obvious to you where it is.

- Cambodian Asian market in Rockville

I think it's called, "super market." It's located in a shopping strip. From left to right: Safeway, Just Puppies, the Cambodian market & CVS. There are also other stores in between those stores, but the Cambodian store is the only asian market there. It's off of Veirs Mill Road, but I don't remember the exact address.

Here's the address to Just Puppies:
2004 Veirs Mill Rd
Rockville, MD 20851-1823

There are usually 2 college-aged asian girls working the registers there or the 2 owners - an elderly asian man & woman. The durians are in the aisle towards the far right, when you just enter the store.

- Korean Asian markets

HMart
There's a Papa John's in the same shopping strip. It's in the fruit & veggie aisle & located in the same strip as the cactus, coconuts, bean sprouts & tofu... almost at the end of the aisle towards where all the meat is.

Papa John's
11915 GEORGIA AVE
WHEATON, MD 20902

Lotte Plaza
13625-A Georgia Avenue
Silver Spring, MD 20906

I got the address! Har! Har! The durians aren't typically with the other fruits. They're located in the area where produce are kept cold, but it's still near the fruits. yet, don't expect to find them among the fruits... hard to explain. it's there somewhere. explore.

- Thai Asian market

I don't know the name. It might be called, "market." It's also located in a little shopping strip, & there's a CVS there. This store is pretty small. So sometimes durians might be OOS. This would be the last store I go to for durian.

CVS
2321 University Boulevard
wheaton, md 20902
Old 09-25-2007, 06:35 AM
Atlantic Puffin

Thank you! That list is a great help.
I'll let you know how I do!

Raw Freedom Community > Sunny Raw Lifestyle > Living 'In The Raw'