Raw Freedom Community  

Advertisement

Go Back   Raw Freedom Community > Sunny Raw Lifestyle > Health & Nutrition > RFC Nutrition Awareness Central

RFC Nutrition Awareness Central The place to learn and share all things related to diet and the worsening food crisis, helping each other find practical solutions that work for the betterment of everyone.

Old 09-28-2007, 12:57 AM
Chickadee

Apple seeds and cyanide

When would I have to start worrying about getting too much cyanide from apple seeds? I've been eating about 4-5 apples a day, cores and all, for the past two days. Does anybody know if the toxins in the seeds accumulate in the body or not?

I guess what I'm asking is this: How much is safe/healthy, and how much is unsafe/unhealthy?
Old 09-28-2007, 05:22 AM
Finch

Lightbulb

I remember reading in the news about a man who killed his wife by feeding her apple seeds. He told her they were "healthy". He ate them too, but had no side effects, cause he also ate the whole apple.

Nature made them ok to eat if you consume the whole apple, only lethal if you eat just the seeds!

Of course, I am not 100% on this.....
Old 09-28-2007, 05:01 PM
Bad Mumble Jumble Dodo Bird

[quote=Random Violin Guy;11892]When would I have to start worrying about getting too much cyanide from apple seeds? I've been eating about 4-5 apples a day, cores and all, for the past two days. Does anybody know if the toxins in the seeds accumulate in the body or not?QUOTE]

The rule is you consume the seeds of: only as many fruits you can eat it in. So you'r safe.

It states; that the fruit pulp/skin has propensities to counteract the cyanide of the seeds! It states that no one could eat 20 apricots or 20 apples. I'll have to find the article, it's saved in a good filing place ! hmmm? I wonder which filing place ! Joz
Old 09-28-2007, 10:30 PM
Chickadee

Sweet! I guess I've got nothing to worry about, then. More applesauce, please!
Old 11-06-2007, 08:05 AM
Hatchling

Honestly I did not know that seeds can be so potentially dangerous for us. Not that me or any of my family members have taken the seeds as we always ensure removing them while taking the fruit as a whole but who knows, we have children in our home and they might accidentally gulp in few of them. Have to be rather careful from now on.
Old 11-06-2007, 09:08 AM
Bad Mumble Jumble Dodo Bird

menatwork; you write; while taking the fruit as a whole but who knows, we have children in our home and they might accidentally gulp in few of them. Have to be rather careful from now on.

AS LONG AS THE SEEDS ARE EATEN WITH THE WHOLE FRUIT IT'S O.K.

IT'S WHEN PEOPLE START TAKING HANDFULS OF SEEDS WITHOUT EATING THE FRUITS THAT THE SEEDS CAME FROM THAT'S WHAT CAUSES THE PROBLEMS. Joz
Old 06-01-2011, 04:56 AM
Hatchling

Appleseeds contain amygdalin, which is broken down by stomach acid to release cyanide. The amygdalin is protected by the seed husk, so if you don't chew the seeds, then no cyanide will be released.

Seeds contain up to 3% amygdalin by weight, and amygdalin is about 6% cyanide by weight. An appleseed is about 5 milligrams, so it contains about 10 micrograms of cyanide. The lethal dose of cyanide is 50-200 milligrams, so you'd need to eat, rapidly, and completely release the cyanide from 625 apples to be at risk.
Old 06-05-2011, 02:40 PM
Chickadee

Holy crap, a really good response! And after all this time! Where did you learn all that?

Raw Freedom Community > Sunny Raw Lifestyle > Health & Nutrition > RFC Nutrition Awareness Central