Raw Freedom Community  

Advertisement

Go Back   Raw Freedom Community > Raw Freedom Lounge > Hanging Out

Hanging Out A place to just hang out and talk about everything else!

Old 10-03-2007, 05:52 AM
Meadowlark

your favorite movie

DUNE
Old 10-03-2007, 06:24 AM
Hatchling

i have two

shawshank redemption

a beautiful life
Old 10-03-2007, 06:27 AM
Chickadee

Around this time, I'm kind of in the mood to watch some Charlie Brown movies. I've got the Thanksgiving one already, but I'd love to find the Halloween one. True classics!
Old 10-03-2007, 06:54 AM
Chickadee

The Notebook!!!!....I LOVE that story...

Elaine
Old 10-03-2007, 08:23 AM
Swallow

my favorite right now would be "the whistle" i think.

oh! shawshank is a classic & oh... charlie brown... i remember i used to watch one of the movies over & over again. they were at camp & woodstock ended up winning the race w/ his little boat made out of twigs. I've seen "the notebook" & love teasing girls who like them. i'm surprised the lead actress was from "mean girls." she looks better w/ the darker hair i think. now dune... i haven't watched. got to put that on my "must watch" list.

Last edited by 7270 : 10-03-2007 at 08:29 AM.
Old 10-03-2007, 08:46 AM
Hatchling

Reservoir Dogs
Sin City
Welcome to Collinwood
Confidence

Okay, I have several favorites!
Old 10-03-2007, 09:31 AM
Chickadee

Quote:
Originally Posted by michigan roman View Post
DUNE
Ha ha. That is awesome. I am a huge David Lynch fan and have met him on occasion. At every chance, he disowns that film! Still, lotsa folks liked it. "Fear is the mind killer"

I like how he made that a theme in both that film, and Twin Peaks (in which the villainous entity was most attracted to, and fed by, fear.)

As for my fave, it varies from week to week. I'll always love Mulholland Drive, and Inland Empire though.

The Lives of Others was my fave foreign film this past year. It was genius!!!!!! Beautiful, understated and emotionally gut wrenching. With possibly less than a dozen lines and a mostly deadpan character, the main actor who portrays an agent of the Gestapo, conveys more humanity in a simple flinch of a neck muscle, than some actors achieve in entire careers. Wow wow wow.
Old 10-03-2007, 01:35 PM
Hummingbird - Caretaker

Kudos for Shawshank Redemption

And I'd have to say 'The Matrix'. Don and I are reading a book in which several philosophy professors examine different aspects about the film. Man! It's just unbelievable how many layers there are to it! The Wachowski brothers were truly inspired when they wrote this.
Old 10-03-2007, 02:19 PM
Meadowlark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hypnotista View Post
Ha ha. That is awesome. I am a huge David Lynch fan and have met him on occasion. At every chance, he disowns that film! Still, lotsa folks liked it. "Fear is the mind killer"

I like how he made that a theme in both that film, and Twin Peaks (in which the villainous entity was most attracted to, and fed by, fear.)

As for my fave, it varies from week to week. I'll always love Mulholland Drive, and Inland Empire though.

The Lives of Others was my fave foreign film this past year. It was genius!!!!!! Beautiful, understated and emotionally gut wrenching. With possibly less than a dozen lines and a mostly deadpan character, the main actor who portrays an agent of the Gestapo, conveys more humanity in a simple flinch of a neck muscle, than some actors achieve in entire careers. Wow wow wow.
hyp im wondering if were talking about the same movie cuz i dont know who david lynch is , but for that matter im not too bright anyway , ecspecially about movies / actors cuz i havent watched a movie in like 15 years . BESIDES DUNE DUDE .

but my dune was made by dino delarentus with all euro actors like about 25 years ago . and the only actor i know in it is that star trek guy patrick stewart .

'the sleeper must awaken'

ps - my fave part is when paul moardeebs baby sister is captured by the baron and she is gigantically metaphysically powerful plus so aware of the going ons around her to the extent that no one can hurt her . and she looks at the punk baron and tells him her brothers coming . OMG I LOVE DUNE
the music really completes it .

" THE SLEEPER MUST AWAKEN ! " (and raw food veganism shall greatly help to awaken you)
Old 10-03-2007, 03:15 PM
Rawkin Robin

Christmas Vacation with Chevy Chase, Beverly Di Angelo & Randy Quaid as cousin Eddie ! Too funny !

RJL
Old 10-03-2007, 04:16 PM
Chickadee

Yep Michigan R, the same movie!

Dino was the $$ and Lynch was the director. I thought of asking him why he chose Toto for the soundtrack, but he is a little obtuse, so I refrained, lol.

The one I am thinking of features Kyle MacLachlan in the lead, and included Sting in the cast.

I was into the scene where MacLachlan's character "Paul" had to endure the test thing-y with the box..."The Pain!!!" I think it was influential in my views regarding suffering and illusion- even at a tender age. An awakening, fo' sho.

The director, David Lynch is a big time meditator, which, I think explains some of the themes in the movie. Though I was perplexed by some of the editing choices, and found the voice overs a little odd, I recall liking the idea. I think I was about 7 or 8 years old when I saw it, lol.

Always have loved movies. Funny how some scenes/lines get burned into your mind, so much so that you can recall them as clear as bell so many years later.

OOh. reminds me...another Lynch film, The Elephant Man, changed my life. I hadn't seen it in 23-24 years (I was 6 when it came out) when I met Lynch. I had no idea that he directed it, but when I did, I made sure to thank him, as it was that film that initiated my interest in a helping-type career and humanities-related studies.

Art is powerful!
Old 10-03-2007, 07:23 PM
Meadowlark

hi hyp , WOW - i cant believe d lynch is embarrased about dune . i was totally captivated , i could really imagine the entire thing (though the climbing up with ropes onto the worms part was kinda off to me) really happening at some place on the universe . i thought the whole story was greatly thought up by a very smart person . at the end when pauls baby sis goes (when it started raining) " how can this be , for he is the quizard sadarac " was a great ending .

oh ya the pain box part , another great scene . the reverend mother actress in that scene played a great role .

i love the movie completely , its the greatest work of art in earths history to me .
Old 10-03-2007, 08:02 PM
Chickadee

I believe the movie is based on a book. Probably it is hard to recreate what you have "seen" in your mind's eye while reading a great work.

I liked it too!
Old 10-03-2007, 11:27 PM
Meadowlark

Old Faves

Brother Sun Sister Moon (1972)

This was a phenomenal story about St. Francis Of Assisi in the 13th century, during the time of a cruel crusade. In those days, so many who were in, but not of, the mad-made religious system around them, were persecuted by the system. He thought he could live free like the birds of the air, who "with but a sip of water and a few berries could soar the heavens!"

Starring: Graham Faulkner, Judi Bowker
Director: Franco Zeffirelli
Music written by Donovan
Pope Innocent III was played by Alec Guinness several years before his famous role as Ben (Obi Wan) Kenobi in Star Wars.

Watch this incredible scene with the bird:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V2L20...ancis%20Assisi

Last edited by FirstGarden : 10-03-2007 at 11:52 PM.
Old 10-04-2007, 08:50 AM
Hatchling

Oh I love David Lynch! I loved Blue Velvet and Lost Highway (I think that's the name). I like dark movies with twists

Raw Freedom Community > Raw Freedom Lounge > Hanging Out