Raw Freedom Community  

Advertisement

Go Back   Raw Freedom Community > Sunny Raw Lifestyle > Living 'In The Raw'

Living 'In The Raw' The place to discuss All-Things-Raw! From transitioning to the Raw Food Diet, to equipment, special techniques and more.

Old 10-16-2007, 06:52 PM
Hatchling

Warming foods/heating up foods?

Since April, I've been as close to 100% raw as I can get. Except for a period of time of depression and fatigue due to a lack of the right kind of fat in my diet, I've been fine. My biggest challenge is my digestion. My digestion has always been compromised, but had gotten worse since going raw. Instead of having a movement 1-2x a day on a cooked diet, I started going only every 2-3 days on raw despite eating and drinking raw fermented foods daily, periods of eating only fresh (not dehydrated) fruits and veggies and close to a gallon of water a day and daily exercise.

I spoke with someone about it and she suggested warming foods and heating up certain foods w/o cooking them. I started drinking hot teas, warming spices, warm water and heating up my belly externally and its made a world of a difference so far. I feel like a new person. I'm wondering what (besides soup) can I heat up in the dehydrator (w/o drying it). For veggies, I normally just eat greens and salads. I'm just looking for ideas.
Old 10-16-2007, 07:58 PM
Chickadee

I like making curries these days. You can make creamy versions with coconut milk or with nut milks. Then some cauliflower and carrots or whatever other veggies are around.

Slices of sweet potato with cinnamon or curry can be quite nice. If you sprinkle some apple juice on them first it makes them a little softer.

Stuffed squashes are awesome at this time of year...hollow one out a little and fill with corn, celery, red pepper, etc.

I love warm corn chowder, and if I feel like I want an old comfort food, I puree some cauliflower in the food processor with a touch of olive oil for mock mashed potatoes with "creamed corn" on top.

Portabella mushrooms are a warm fave too, just marinate them in a little lemon juice, or apple juice with your fave savory spices, and maybe a hint of garlic, sea salt, lots of pepper.

Warm apples and pears with cinnamon and maybe a little maple are great.

You can make candied carrots this way too.

I sometimes just have hot water in the am to get the digestive furnace going. It's been working nicely. I tried it with turmeric stirred in and it really agrees with me.

warm lemon water with a packet of stevia is a huge comfort drink.

what about a warm nut milk with mulling spices like cloves, cinnamon, and nutmeg?

You could pour this kind of concoction over sprouted oat groats for a nice hot oatmeal.

I live for raw chili and raw marinara sauce in the winter. Both are nice and light, but super warming. I started the raw thing in the dead of Chicago winter and this is the stuff that kept me on track!
Old 10-16-2007, 08:15 PM
Hatchling

Thanks for the ideas! I have to come to term that summer is over and I cant rely on spring/summer foods to keep me going. I have a few organic pumpkins and cant wait to get into them. Also, I've been making warm blended Chai tea which is definitely helping.
Old 10-17-2007, 06:13 PM
Meadowlark

Here is a great thing I figured out recently if you are into teas and want something like a latte...

Hot rooibos chai (red tea/no caffeine at all!) with my "latte milk"...

I make "latte milk" by putting one part almond butter to about 3-4 parts warm-ish filtered water in the blender. Then I blend on high for a couple minutes, and voila! It's just like a frothy latte.

I have gotten another tea called "haute chocolate" from a store called Teavana that makes a spicy chocolate tea (they have a web site with lots of wonderful teas). This is great with the latte milk, a touch of agave, and a touch of cacao nibs on the top to make it super pretty. It's like hot chocolate.

My mom gave up coffee (and so did I) when she went raw... and the above has bailed her out when she really, really wanted to go get a latte. It's definitely fun to have every once in a while.

I realize this stuff is not perfectly raw, but I get no ill effects whatsoever from them, and it helps to keep me eating raw and not drinking coffee.
Old 10-17-2007, 06:53 PM
Hatchling

Eva, do you strain the nut milk when you use nut butter? I usually make milk the old fashioned way (with soaked nuts) so I never tried it with butters before. Cant wait to try it that way!

I do have some Chai rooibus too, but havent tried it yet. I guess Ill have some tonight.
Old 10-17-2007, 09:05 PM
Meadowlark

No, I don't strain it at all, just keep it simple. It comes out really nice as is.

I haven't made nut milk the old fashioned way once since I figured this out... but I probably will soon. My smoothies have been missing out...
Old 10-17-2007, 09:17 PM
Hatchling

I don't like gritty milks, but it probably isn't too bad since the nuts are already "buttered".
Old 10-17-2007, 09:29 PM
Chickadee

A few suggestions to help you thru the colder months......

Keeping fruits and veggies to be consumed the next day on the counter properly covered so it stays room temperature.

Using "warming" spices/herbs like cardamom,cayenne,black pepper,ginger,cinnamon,tumeric,nutmeg,cumin,tarrag on,anise etc can offer warming flow to the body.

Invest in some Barefoot dreams lounge wear in their signature blend
Old 10-17-2007, 09:57 PM
Meadowlark

Talking

Do you have any oils in you meals?
like olive oil or grapeseed oil or coconut oil?
These will help you stay regular as well.
Old 10-18-2007, 01:31 AM
Hatchling

Misslinda - my home says well below room temperature. Its always on the colder side in the late fall/winter. It takes weeks and weeks to even make sour kraut. These days I'm always cold and we don't even live in a cold climate.

Path - I do consume grapeseed oil and coconut oil at times. Not daily, but when I think about it. I do eat coconut and avocados (one or the other or both daily).

Raw Freedom Community > Sunny Raw Lifestyle > Living 'In The Raw'