Raw Freedom Community  

Advertisement

Go Back   Raw Freedom Community > Sunny Raw Lifestyle > The Sunny Gym

The Sunny Gym RFC's Exercise, Fitness & Training Center

Old 10-22-2007, 07:26 PM
Chickadee

Does anyone run long distances????

Hi everyone, running isn't my forte yet I do a half marathon every year as a personal goal.

I've been training and I'm pleased to say I started in plenty of time because I've been known to wait till the last month and then really jam...not good.

Here's what's happening and I"m wondering if anyone has any suggestions...

I'm running let's say the first week one minute walk two minutes...well, this is week 3 and I'm up to running 3 minutes (hard) and then walking till I get my breath back...and then running 3, breath back...and so on, oh, and right now I'm only doing two miles...well, here's what's happening...my lungs are hurting way before my legs do...I realized I wasn't breathing correctly , short breaths instead of long deep ones...so this week instead of timing my running I'm trying to retrain myself in to breath right..

So, (sorry this is so long) here's the question, how long do you think it will take for me to strengthen my lungs ? ...will I see results in a week??? I'm not very patient when it comes to training so I'm hoping others will advise me on what to do to speed this up. I'm so bummed because I don't know when I started to do this negative breathing....

Thanks for any suggestions, oh, is there anything I can do when I'm not running...?? Like deep breathing when I'm driving...is that the same???

Love, Elaine
Old 10-22-2007, 07:30 PM
Meadowlark

Talking

YOU SHOULD CHECK WITH MISSLINDA - I KNOW SHE'S A RUNNING FANATIC, SHE EVEN HAS SPECIAL THINGS FOR IT AS WELL
Old 10-22-2007, 07:41 PM
Chickadee

OH, thanks for your quick response...hopefully she'll see this post...oh, it's also the first time I've been 100% raw (or nearly) and did a marathon...so any help will be appreciated.

Love, PE
Old 10-22-2007, 08:22 PM
Chickadee

Hey!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Gorgeous Princess from the good old days at RFT!!!!!!

Running is my TRUE LOVE.......I am working my way back into runinig after a neck and back injury of three years but let me tell ya, I use to run 10-15 miles six days a week and NEVER bad knees etc.

Assuming you do not have any other conditions or asthma, the lungs and heart work hand and glove. These two muslces develop as you develop more endurance and stamnia with runnning. the heart works extra hard in getting oxygen to lungs and removing the by product of carbon dioxide and lactic acid etc.

By your description, I do not believe that running with walking is a good combination to develop stamina/endurance.

Breathing in with mouth and out with nose/mouth works best for me in combination with good begining speeed. everyone has a different breathing technique.

ALWAYS no matter what, have proper gear that is appropriate for the season. Proper shoes and socks are must haves.

Runners usually fail to incorporate weight traiing to develop train muscles that get neglected. abs and arms. you will notice a difference in adding light schedule of weight training.

Best to start with walking......fast walk for warmup.

Lite jogging

when you start running and need to stop, do it backwards. Start dropping the speed slowly but do not stop.

IF you're lungs are hurting, start at speed where lungs do not hurt and work upward.

waht are your favorite running shoes?
Old 10-22-2007, 09:06 PM
Chickadee

Oh Miss Linda...thanks for responding and I may be picking your brain if you don't mind.

I do lift weights, I work out at the gym plus take a couple of classes, S,E.T, (strength endurance training) and a boot camp type class...both an hour and both kick my BUTT!!!!! ...so running or what I mean is jogging is actually what I do the least yet I think if I could do it better, of course, I'd do it more.

I've been getting out the door most mornings about 5:15ish and run on the bike trail along the beach...I love it, it's like a small community out there at that time with surfers, joggers, walkers, inline skaters, and ME!!!!

Right now I'm using Nike Air but I'm thinking they need to be replaced, they look new but I'm thinking they may be broke down. Do you have a kind that you recommend??? ...

Right now we have all these horrible fires and winds , I went out this morning in the wind and it wasn't too bad but now we have all the smoke...if it's really bad I won't go but I just don't like to miss...for me, I'm just getting back into the habit and don't wanna mess up.

I can't wait till tomorrow and try the tips you've shared.

Thanks for your help and yes, I remember you, too, from RFT days...I was pretty much a lurker there...I've been raw over a year now and started reading that forum about that time...

I'm VERY happy here ....this is a great place and I feel like I'm fitting in so this is where I'll be.

Love, Elaine
Old 10-22-2007, 09:46 PM
Chickadee

Yes, the fires I've been reading about today. Please be safe and I hope and pray not many people are hurt. Try to keep your air clean in your home and be well.

While you do your "training," try the visualization exercise. A red ball in front of you that keeps moving foward and pick a marker and keep that moving foward.

example: I use to pick out things or objects in front of me. A crack in the ground,a sign or the mailbox to keep my momentum going and keep the distance longer to push myself. increase as you go........

when it comes to shoes, it depends on how your own feet strike the ground and where your foots needs the most cushioning,arch,etc.

I never make shoe recommendations as those are so tailored for each person's foot. My own personal firt is Adidas although I've been toying with Asics this last year.

So great to see ya again! Join us in the October exercise Challenge if you'd like to keep the exercise frenzy going........
Old 10-23-2007, 04:58 AM
Chickadee

Good morning...I'm out the door to use the techniques you suggested...

The wind has died down and hopefully will stay this way, it's been awful, so many homes lost.

I can smell the smoke so strong and I'm hoping down by the beach it'll be better air...if it isn't I'll come home.

I've worn both Adidas and Ascis...there is a running store Snails Pace that is real good about doing individual fittings so I may go back there...not this paycheck though.

When I get back I'll check out the October Fitness Challenge...I really like to be pushed...

Okay, I'm out the door to follow the orange ball..

love, Elaine
Old 10-23-2007, 06:15 AM
Meadowlark

i only run 5 mile distances or less , but ive found when i quit salt i can breathe deeper and've greater endurance .
Old 10-23-2007, 06:17 AM
Meadowlark

ps - i was wondering since i see your in huntington is the RED ONION bar across street from the ocean still there . i was there in 84 and it was a great hang out .
Old 10-23-2007, 09:28 PM
Chickadee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princess Elaine View Post
Good morning...I'm out the door to use the techniques you suggested...

The wind has died down and hopefully will stay this way, it's been awful, so many homes lost.

I can smell the smoke so strong and I'm hoping down by the beach it'll be better air...if it isn't I'll come home.

I've worn both Adidas and Ascis...there is a running store Snails Pace that is real good about doing individual fittings so I may go back there...not this paycheck though.

When I get back I'll check out the October Fitness Challenge...I really like to be pushed...

Okay, I'm out the door to follow the orange ball..

love, Elaine

I'd love to know what shoes you end up getting!!!!

"Runner's HIGH"
Old 10-24-2007, 06:19 AM
Chickadee

Good morning...the fires are still blazing and it's an awful time in So. CA....I did walk yesterday and yet knew the air quality was such I should of stayed in...I will not jog now until the air quality changes.

Michigan Roman...no, no more Red Onion. In 1988 a storm destroyed the end of the pier, in 1990 the pier was rebuilt as well as the whole Main Street area...it is now a rubber stamped model of most beach towns....I've been here in HB 40 years and remember when it was a small sleepy surf town...now...well, it's a lot different and a major tourist center.

There is a great vegetarian restaurant on Main Street, The Bodhi Tree where I stop and get there spring rolls at least once a week and bring them home and eat them in front of the computer....

Miss Linda, I 'll let you know what shoes I end up with...money wise it'll be a few weeks before they're in the budget.

I'm supposed to go up to Ojai tomorrow for a two day retreat (I was there in July for 7 days) yet right now I'm waiting to hear if they're effected by any fires as I know there's some in their area, too.

Oh, and Michigan...I call 5 miles a long distance...I should of been more clear because I'm just a beginner compared to some...I just like to push myself to the next level.

Love, Elaine

Last edited by Princess Elaine : 10-24-2007 at 06:32 AM.
Old 11-08-2007, 01:12 PM
Hatchling

Have any of you ever heard of or tried the Pose method of running? I think the website is posetech.com. Also, there are a few brands that make shoes specifically tailored to this type of running. One brand is Vibram Five Fingers (vibramfivefingers.com)... I am just in the information stage of this but the theory is great and it makes a lot of sense so I am going to try it out.

Check it out and post back
Old 04-30-2008, 06:43 PM
Hatchling

ooo i've been wanting a pair of Vibrams. I don't even run (long distance, anyway). They look great, does anyone have them?

Raw Freedom Community > Sunny Raw Lifestyle > The Sunny Gym