Yay! It's that time once again! Man, how I love to receive Russell's newsletter in my inbox every second Thursday. I can always be certain that 'The Raw Chef' will have yet another beyond-yummy looking creation to tempt the food prep lover in me.
See what I mean...
Cacao Pistachio Florentine & Mint Ice Cream Sandwich Ice Cream
By Russell James
Published in his 'News From the Kitchen' eZine**
1/2c coconut butter/oil
1/4c agave nectar
1 vanilla pod
1c almond milk*
1t lemon juice
1/2c tightly-packed fresh mint leaves
- Scrape the inside of the vanilla pod, and discard the outer part. Alternatively, you can leave the outer part in water to infuse, making 'vanilla water'.
- Blend all ingredients in a high-speed blender until smooth.
- Pour mixture into 4, round, equal-sized moulds and place in the freezer to set. I used metal rings with plastic film stretched over the base of them.
3T cacao powder
1/4c melted cacao butter
1/2t lemon juice
3T agave nectar
1/4c almond milk
1/4c cacao nibs
1/2c pistachio nuts, roughly chopped
- Blend all ingredients, with the exception of the cacao nibs and pistachio nuts, in a high speed blender until smooth.
- Transfer mixture to a bowl and stir in the cacao nibs and pistachios.
- Use a spoon to form 8 Florentines
(circles as big as the ice cream moulds you used) on some non-stick paper and place in the freezer to set. If you haven't got enough room in your freezer to lay them out flat, you can put them in the fridge first, until they are firm enough to stack up in the freezer.
- Remove the ice cream and Florentines
from the freezer 1 - 2 hours before serving.
- Assemble the sandwiches with one Florentine on the bottom, and one on the top, of the ice cream that you removed from the moulds.
- Decorate the outside of the mint ice cream with some more chopped pistachio nuts.
* The almond milk you need for this recipe can be be made by blending 1c soaked almonds in 2c of pure water. You should then strain the mixture through a nut milk bag, or a sieve if you don't have a nut milk bag.
** To sign up for Russell's ‘News From The Kitchen’ bi-monthly eZine, Click Here