Raw Freedom Community  

Advertisement

Go Back   Raw Freedom Community > Sunny Raw Lifestyle > Growth and Self-Knowledge > Growth and Self-Knowledge General

Closed Thread

Old 11-21-2007, 04:01 PM
Swallow

How do you know when you have a problem and can't do it alone?

Hey everyone hows it going?

Well lately I have been digging so deep into myself trying to find my issues with my life and food etc.

For the past 2 months it feels like I've gone so deep that I don't know how to get back. I am thinking about food all the time and just feel like I can't seem to get it right.

So I started wondering to myself, where is the line between discovering yourself and knowing you are in too deep and need help? I just can't believe how hard food has become for me.

I guess I feel like my body is too ruined to be able to fix, and being over weight is all I can think of and all I see all day long. Am I the only one who feels kind of lost?
Old 11-21-2007, 04:16 PM
Rawbie

Unless I miss the information somewhere on this forum, can you tell us a little more about yourself? How long have you been on the raw lifestyle? What is your daily food intake (menu) like? Do you count calories? Are you eating a variety of foods, including greens? Do you graze all day or eat at specific times of the day?

Please know that answering those questions are NOT going to solve your problems but will probably give us clues as to what might be going wrong.

I am sure other members will chime in with more specific questions to narrow down the issue.

Last edited by Rawbie : 11-22-2007 at 12:08 AM.
Old 11-21-2007, 05:08 PM
Swallow

Hey thanks for the reply. This is more an emotional/thought prosess problem though than a what I am eating problem I think right now. I am not full raw yet, I'm not even half way there yet.

I am just trying to figure out how to work through thinking about food too much and having my life revolve around that and my weight.

Thanks so much for replying
Old 11-21-2007, 07:14 PM
Nuthatch

I think it is all too common that we succumb to the very seductive notion that it is possible to achieve physical perfection through consuming a "perfect" diet-whatever that is. I have struggled with this kind of perverse and negative thinking most of my life. I too have physical difficulties that I wish could be healed through diet. I too feel "broken" and despair of ever feeling whole again. So know at least that you are not alone in this type of suffering.

I want to bring up an issue that I mentioned in another post, but perhaps is buried in the forum by now. Please read this article:

http://www.orthorexia.com/index.php?page=essay

I know this is controversial but I think it raises issues that I feel are important to consider.

I've been reading a book called "After the Darkest Hour-How Suffering Begins the Journey to Wisdom" written by a Jungian-oriented psychotherapist named Kathleen Brehony. Suffering is an inevitable part of human life. Acceptance can pave the way to wisdom. You might find this book helpful for ideas on how to deal with pain and disappointment.

You might also see my posts in the recent thread about cheating.

Finally perhaps it would be worthwhile to seek some professional guidance for either the emotional issues or the medical aspects of weight loss-or both. Some problems really ARE too big for us to handle alone. Online forums are great for moral support and sharing ideas, but sometimes we need a more concrete helping hand. Every person is different. What works for one may not work for another. A professional may be able to guide you to some plan of action that will work for YOU.

Don't despair. And don't be so hard on yourself.
Old 11-21-2007, 07:53 PM
Meadowlark

gigi - perhaps i am completely misunderstanding your point and if i am, i apologize.

it seems to me that you are here, posting on a raw food forum saying we are 'overboard' with our choice to gain health through our food choices? just because someone wrote an article sharing about how he went from healthy choice to SAD diet and then a middle ground doesn't really impress me to be honest. i've spent years living that life and where has it gotten me? overweight, unhealthy and honestly... an ice cream cone has never brought me any true happiness.

oh and i find it totally possible to have a dinner with friends, enjoy great conversation and have a very fulfilling life while eating raw.

i am finding, on my journey that committing to 100% raw for one month is freeing and liberating. it takes the unhealthy choices out of my options and allows me to find the gift of health from a raw diet. i would like to suggest to firicia that she commit to health instead of wavering between fasting and eating healthy and then eating unhealthy. i'm not telling you what to do firicia... just suggesting that perhaps if you made a decision one way or another and then saw that commitment through, you may find great growth and healing by walking that path. you may even find your emotional difficulties diminish once you acquire the clarity many people discover from raw eating.

of course, it's your choice... that's the beauty of life... doesn't matter what works for everyone else, you just need to find what works for you.

It isn't what happens while I sit that makes my meditation a 'success'. It is that I sit. ~ Aleesha
Old 11-21-2007, 08:11 PM
Meadowlark

gigi i just read your posts on the other 'cheating' thread you mentioned.

http://www.rawfreedomcommunity.info/...5&postcount=25

i see know where you are coming from. you aren't raw, don't choose to be and yet you come here and tell us what we are choosing is wrong. hmmm.... i wonder if i smell a troll or if that's just the compost doing it's thing. please feel free to go convert someone else somewhere else. if the people here, on this board were the least bit interested in not living raw... they wouldn't be here.

bye bye

It isn't what happens while I sit that makes my meditation a 'success'. It is that I sit. ~ Aleesha
Old 11-21-2007, 08:20 PM
Nuthatch

I think the main point we both agree on is that different approaches seem to work for different people. I am not attacking anyone. I am trying to offer another perspective to those who may find that 100% raw diets are not working for them. My experience was different from yours. When I was eating a raw vegan diet I felt constantly cold and constantly craving something. I couldn't stop thinking about food and spent endless hours obsessing over food. I felt like my life was spiraling totally out of control and that my relationship with my diet and with food was overriding all else in my life. By relaxing my ideals and choosing to focus on other problems in life I feel I have found a more balanced place. I merely responded to this post because Firicia's comments struck a chord with me. My response was mostly directed toward her and perhaps others who are feeling frustrated. I am not trying to upset anyone.
Old 11-21-2007, 08:31 PM
Meadowlark

i agree a raw diet is not for everyone... but my dear gigi, this is a raw forum... for rawbies. i really don't understand why you are here? it doesn't make sense to me.

everyone here is very aware that if they choose to not stay or become raw... they can leave and find another forum which supports their beliefs. that's the wonderful thing about the internet, there's a forum for everyone.

i really don't think they need someone here, reminding them of that fact after all, we are all intelligent people here and no one is being held here forced to eat raw food against their will - except perhaps poor don who has spent a week in the horrible torture chamber of carmi and fairy's delights... but i think he can eat his way out of the horror and once again see the sun

*oh how i wish i could join him in his prison cell and assist him to his way out*

Old 11-21-2007, 08:36 PM
Nuthatch

I am not into dogmatism or labels (or name-calling, for that matter). I joined this forum when it started because I was trying to learn about the raw approach and found some of the other forums too judgmental and preachy. I found this forum to be an honest and forgiving place where many ideas could be discussed in an open manner. After some months of experimenting with a 100% raw diet I decided it wasn't working for me. I continue to have interest in raw healthy food however, and try to stay about 50% raw. I have learned a lot here and mostly am interested in recipes etc. I especially enjoyed the posts about making sauerkraut and kimchi and have incorporated these foods into my life. I continue to search and grow, just like everyone else. We can't all follow the same path. Wouldn't that be a bore? Thanks for the conversation.
Old 11-21-2007, 09:02 PM
Mute Swan

I am sorry to interrupt ladies, but I am gona give you all my 2 cents whether you want it or not
gigi1234; I think that your comment (orignial) was well intentioned, however, as firicia is not 100%, never has been, and says she isn't even halfway there, I feel that what you said was perhaps just discouraging at this point. She should NOT give up on what she hasn't even really begun! Yes ppl can get obsessed about diet, but that is it, they obsess about FOOD in general, not just raw food, so there is no reason to discourage raw when that is not even her problem! She is not yet raw, she is struggling with food in general.
FIRICIA!
Do what you can. Do your best, feel good about your successes when you chose healthy(ier) food than you have in the past, but when you don't chose the best, purpose to do better next time and MOVE ON! Don't beat yourself up! Don't FORCE yourself to change when you are not ready! Take it slow, things that change naturally last, things that are forced are unsustainable. That link that gigi1234 provided reinforces this. That man was obsessed and fighting!
I am basically 100% raw, with very few/no cravings, no guilt, and no will power involved. Other food just doesn't appeal. When it does, I weigh how I will feel if I eat it, if it won't bother me, I eat it, if I will regret it, I don't eat it. That simple.
If you feel restricted or like you are missing out, go to the recipe section and make a delectable raw dessert!!!
*I never planned or pushed to become raw. I tried it for health reasons, enjoyed how it made me feel, and just took off from there, I rarely look back, and am loving the journey My "health food obsession" is smaller now than it was when I ate cooked food
Old 11-21-2007, 09:58 PM
luckitri

Firicia, if you are enjoying any form of health, relatively pain-free physically, no incurable diseases - you are then far from being ruined beyond repair. I also am having extreme difficulty going and maintaining 100% but it is still a goal of mine. I am however, not at all healthy. I would trade fat for health any day, meaning I would rather be overweight and relatively healthy rather than the health problems I do have and being considered acceptable weight. Meanwhile I do know that what they say is true - the more raw you are - the less you crave the bad SAD foods. It was true for me and I do believe that those who say 100% is the only way to go are probably right. . . . and I have my excuses for why I have not done that yet. . . (and I think that being too sick to prepare ones food is a valid excuse.)

Perhaps the more you hang around here gigi, you may find yourself attempting 100% raw in the future. I think that discussing problems with raw is valid as I certainly have had them. The raw gurus often threaten that great harm can come to you if you don't learn how to do raw right. Unfortunately for me they are charging too much money for me to learn what their secret is - so I have to go the poor womans way and hope that I learn on forums such as this. I want raw to be liberating and invigorating path to health for me not a tedious labor of working with exotic unaffordable ingredients - or making my food seeking and preparation a full-time job. I really liked the idea of taking raw fast food with me as I went about my day - apples, carrots, bananas and such. I liked just having to clean and eat rather than clean and prepare and eat. Of course the green smoothies are not really fast food unless you make and freeze them in advance. Unfortunately something went wrong and despite achieving much healing I also got much sicker and since I still really do not know what is wrong with me I do not know if it was a natural disease progression that occurred despite raw or if it was underlying health problems that were aggravated by raw at the same time raw was healing.

Last edited by luckitri : 11-21-2007 at 10:01 PM.
Old 11-21-2007, 10:09 PM
Meadowlark

perhaps your turn for the worse was actually the many toxins which have built up in your system over the years releasing?

i've found from all the research i've done (and it has been a lot) that there is no secret to raw. it's simple. as simple as you choose to allow it to be. eat a varied diet of fruit and veges... toss in some raw nuts and if you wish, you can add some bee pollen, coconut oil, hemp hearts, nutritional yeast etc.

your body will crave what it needs. it will get a LOT of nutrition out of your foods because they are raw and alive.

of course, as with anything in life, you can make it complicated... but honestly you don't have to. it's so much easier grabbing an apple and an avocado and a handful of raw cashews than preparing a pizza pocket in the microwave.

Old 11-21-2007, 11:17 PM
luckitri

Thank you Aleesha, I would like to believe that and for a long time I did call it the detox from h e - - . However acquiring malnutrition so severe that I could not walk and could hardly move at all is not detox. The kind that I suffered is related to several disease processes one of which does relate to me but I do not understand the mechanism of it at all and have not been able to find information to help me understand - the key to prevention of recurrence. I hope that you are right.
Old 11-21-2007, 11:29 PM
Swallow

I wish it was a case of me being fat but healthy.

I live with Fibromyalgia and chronic pain syndrome after a car accident at 16. I try not to talk about it, and I am so good at hiding it. So good sometimes I have to remind myself to slow down so I don't hurt myself.

It's this horrible cyle of refusing to take pain killers anymore, so I got addicted to sugar because it makes me feel good for like 30 mins, but long enough that I use it, then it turns around and makes me more sore so I want more. It's horrible I know. But the pain is so much, like 2 days ago in the grocery store I was scared I was going to burst out crying in front of everyone in the line because I was in so much pain I didn't think I could take standing much longer. I'm 21 and I can't work so I am home all day long with this, and food being the only thing I can do sometimes. I know that sounds terrible but it's honest. I just wish I could be normal again.

Thats where fasting comes in, I keep trying to do it because it helps and I can't help but wonder if I do it for a long time if it will make a big difference. Sounds silly but thats why I keep thinking about fasting, if for nothing more than to get enough energy to maybe start doing some exercise again that maybe I can keep up with once the fast is over.

So there it is, the big ugly thing in my life that I feel like I am slowly failing at.
Old 11-22-2007, 12:55 AM
Chickadee

Quote:
Originally Posted by firicia View Post
I wish it was a case of me being fat but healthy.

I live with Fibromyalgia and chronic pain syndrome after a car accident at 16. I try not to talk about it, and I am so good at hiding it. So good sometimes I have to remind myself to slow down so I don't hurt myself.

I cannot help but to wonder if this would be worth [dealing with].....as we know, there is an emotional basiss to every pain,sickness/condition......

What do you mean by "try not to talk about it.........good at hiding it?" What happened? What happened in the accident?

Raw Freedom Community > Sunny Raw Lifestyle > Growth and Self-Knowledge > Growth and Self-Knowledge General