Raw Freedom Community  

Advertisement

Go Back   Raw Freedom Community > Sunny Raw Lifestyle > Growth and Self-Knowledge > Growth and Self-Knowledge General

Old 10-25-2007, 01:51 PM
Finch

Lightbulb The Complaint Free Challenge at RFC

I posted about the book "A Complaint Free World" here. Now, we are starting a 21 day challenge.

Three consecutive weeks–that’s 21 days, or 504 hours in a row–without complaining at all. QUOTE: "trying to go twenty-one consecutive days without complaining, criticizing, or gossiping, and in so doing, forming a new, positive habit. By changing your words, you can change your thoughts and then begin to create your life by design. People have shared stories with Will of chronic pain relieved, relationships healed, careers improved, and becoming an overall happier person. Less pain, improved health, satisfying relationships, a better job, being more serene and joyous—sound good? It’s not only possible, it’s probable. Consciously striving to reformat your mental hard drive is not easy, but you can start now by using the steps Bowen presents here. "

So -- who is with us? Me (RVM) and Naturemom are up for the challenge. We will post about our successes and (most likey) failures in this challenge. Since you need a reminder, wear a rubber bracelet (like Lance Armstong's Live Strong ones) or rubberband on your wrist. Any time you complain, or point out that someone else is complaining, you move your bracelt to the other wrist. See how long it takes to keep it on one arm for 21 days.

“Complaining is not to be confused with informing someone of a mistake or deficiency so that it can be put right. And to refrain from complaining doesn’t necessarily mean putting up with bad quality or behavior. There is no ego in telling the waiter your soup is cold and needs to be heated up—if you stick to the facts, which are always neutral. ‘How dare you serve me cold soup…?’ That’s complaining.”

—Eckhart Tolle, “A New Earth”
Old 10-25-2007, 03:06 PM
Hummingbird - Caretaker

In Don and I's linguo, we call complaining 'resisting what is'.

Count me in!
Old 10-25-2007, 03:32 PM
Meadowlark

In my Buddhism classes right now we are looking at the five precepts. So much the same as this.

I'll stick with my classes, but I'll be with you all in spirit!!!

It isn't what happens while I sit that makes my meditation a 'success'. It is that I sit. ~ Aleesha
Old 10-25-2007, 03:35 PM
Bad Mumble Jumble Dodo Bird

I'm in! I NEVER complain !!!!!! LOL '''resist what is'''' sometimes! Speak Up Speak Out and 'Get in Peoples Faces" that's not 'complaining is it????

I'm in: ZIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIPPPPPPPP no more complaints ! hmmmmm 21 days? that long? it takes that long to break a habit??? Joz
Old 10-25-2007, 03:37 PM
Bad Mumble Jumble Dodo Bird

Phew::::::::: I'm saved! here's a quote! yea!!!!

""""""""Complaining is not to be confused with informing someone of a mistake or deficiency so that it can be put right. And to refrain from complaining doesn’t necessarily mean putting up with bad quality or behavior."""""

I 'll make it 21 days! Joz
Old 10-25-2007, 03:41 PM
Swallow

I'm in!

Carmella -- you used the term "resisting what is," which is an excellent description. Are you familiar with Byron Katie's work? Two of her quotes I like:

"I'm a lover of reality, not because I'm a spiritual person, but because it hurts when I argue with reality."

"Reality is always kinder than the story we tell about it."

Peace,
Shawna
Old 10-25-2007, 06:10 PM
Swallow

oh amazing! me IN!
Old 10-25-2007, 07:13 PM
Quetzal

Me too. It is something I have been conciously working on lately and it is inspiring have this great group to share with. I am a big fan of Byron Katie's work as well.

So count me in!
Old 10-25-2007, 07:29 PM
Chickadee

WOW, I've been challenging myself on this the last several weeks and it really makes life and living so much more enriched!

I'm am in ........this is challenging and rewarding!

Great idea RVM !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 10-25-2007, 08:13 PM
Meadowlark

Question

There's also a quote by the Hicks," what you resist - persists"

Interesting challange....I'll have to think about it
Old 10-25-2007, 08:22 PM
Chickadee

Quote:
Originally Posted by PATH301 View Post
There's also a quote by the Hicks," what you resist - persists"

Interesting challange....I'll have to think about it
So you are thinking that if you "resist" complaining, than the universe will deliver situation etc that will bring about the "desire" to want to complain???

I see the flip side......I believe that by not complaining, it is preventing the tongue from taking action of a pending thought. If we give life to complaining thru means of speaking it, than we LIVE it .....BUT, if we do not profess it, we are holding ourselves to determine the reality of the situation. A quick dialect between the mind and body to forsee that "this" situation etc is fine,good,reasoned etc.......I'm babbling--can ya tell
Old 10-25-2007, 09:23 PM
Hummingbird - Caretaker

Shawna,
I've heard of her but never read her work. I guess that core truths come out of many different mouths, eh?

Not resisting what is also saves a lot of energy! I mean, Life is unfolding perfectly in front of us, "perfectly designed for our growths" as I like to remind myself. So surrendering to 'what is' and going along with the flow is definitely the way to go. Have you read the story of the 'cling-ons' at the beginning of Richard Bach's 'Illusion'?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyjoz View Post
I'm in: ZIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIPPPPPPPP no more complaints ! hmmmmm 21 days? that long? it takes that long to break a habit??? Joz
Cool! Does that mean I can post pics, no recipes and you won't call me a teaze?
Old 10-25-2007, 10:27 PM
Swallow

Carmella,

I have not read Illusion, I just put it on hold at my library!

Thanks,
Shawna
Old 10-26-2007, 05:27 AM
Finch

Thumbs up My first day, so far

I am so excited about it this! I have mentioned this to a few people in my life, and no one wants to do this with me. I have been wanting to post it here for so long! I am glad I finally did. This community is so incredible.

This is my first day, and no complaints here. (Yes , I just woke up - but the baby was up more than 6 times last night....and I DID NOT COMPLAIN!) WOOHOO! I just kep Carmella's words/thoughts in my head -- the universe is unfolding exactly the way it should. Everything is meant to be happening for a reason, usually an unforseen reason.

So, I got up this morning, chipper -- even though I am tired. I happily let me husband sleep in, and I am taking the oldest to the chiropractor and the grocery store with me.

Right now, the littlest is making a huge mess with his smoothie -- and I am ok with it. No cryin' over spilt smoothie here! LOL!

Wow, this is pretty liberating!
Old 10-26-2007, 07:18 AM
Scarlet Tanager

I'm in ~

I heard a speaker once challenge the audience to "totally eliminate all criticizm of your spouse for the next 90 days" - a similar challenge to this one, but he was directing it to marriages particularly. Every time you criticized, you had to start over. He had stories of families restored and marriages saved, of folks he knew who did this. Changing the way we think, changes the way we act, which changes the way we live and subsequently, who we become.

I'm going to join you in this "no complaining" challenge. My life would be richer for it, I know! Does that include complaining thoughts, too, or just speaking the complaint? I guess we need to get rid of complaining thoughts, too, because thoughts lead to words and actions!

Thanks for the challenge!

"Let your food be your medicine and your medicine, your food." Hippocrates

Raw Freedom Community > Sunny Raw Lifestyle > Growth and Self-Knowledge > Growth and Self-Knowledge General