Raw Freedom Community  

Advertisement

Go Back   Raw Freedom Community > Sunny Raw Lifestyle > Health & Nutrition > Health General

Old 12-07-2007, 08:43 AM
Swallow

Nipping a yeast infection in the bud...

Okay,

I cheated. Really bad. Lots of chocolate. Not even the raw stuff, just the plain chocolate. Now I am paying the price. Really bad. BAD BAD BAD.

I am coming down with a yeast infection. What can I do to forestall it from becoming full blown?

I am eliminating all fruit as of now. Will probiotics help? Kombucha? Standing on my head in the middle of the mall? I will do anything, anything, ANYTHING because I despise yeast infections from the core of my being.
Old 12-07-2007, 09:07 AM
Swallow

Okay, one other thought.... I just made my favorite marinated cremini mushrooms. Since mushrooms are fungi and yeast are fungi, should I avoid them until this despicable malady flees my body?
Old 12-07-2007, 09:52 AM
Chickadee

probiotics should help with any internal aspects of yeastie beasties, but the old yogurt on the kitty is the time tested remedy for the other stuff. I have heard of soaking a tampon with it as being very effective.

Given the vegan thing, maybe something non-dairy with the active probiotic would suffice. There's gotta be a probiotic cream by now, right?

Maybe someone has tried coconut kefir or something?

or a probio powder dissolved in distilled water as a douche?

Or how about something like a very mild grapefruit seed extract as a super dilute douche... or on a tampon? (possibly other antifungal essential oils to support it??)

Any one?

Anyone?

I don;'t have yeast infections, so I guess I can only speak second hand! Good luck!
Old 12-07-2007, 09:59 AM
Swallow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hypnotista View Post
the old yogurt on the kitty is the time tested remedy
Yogurt in the Kitty... thanks for the laugh

You know what makes this doubly difficult... I am a Certified Nurse Midwife and an Ob/Gyn Nurse Practitioner. You would think I would know what to do, but all I learned in nursing school was the microscopic diagnosis/ examination findings and medical treatment of yeast infections. I have treated so many women with so many meds for yeast infections but never learned the holistic way to approach it.

Sad, so very, very sad. Physician (or nurse), heal thyself!
Old 12-07-2007, 11:58 AM
Hummingbird - Caretaker

Hadassah,
I used to suffer from chronic yeast infections for years, and you know what? I'm having a hard time now remembering how I used to treat it.

OK, let me think...

I definitely wouldn't use meds so what I used to do is douche every day with a solution of water and apple cider vinegar. I'd also cut down on the usual stuff: sugar, yeast and mushies. Oh, and no bath with soap/bubbles or whatever in it. As a matter of fact, I've found out that the latter often triggered infections for me.

I did a search and found out the following info:

How to Treat a Yeast Infection Naturally

Step One
Eat yogurt. It contains helpful bacteria (live cultures, including acidophilus and bifidus) that destroy yeast. It also works when applied topically. Insert some into the vagina using a finger or plastic tampon applicator. Use only plain yogurt with active cultures.

Step Two
Take lactobacillus/acidophilus supplements. Use according to the directions on the bottle.

Step Three
Douche with a solution of 1 to 3 tbsp. vinegar in a quart of water. Repeat once a day while having symptoms, but no longer than a week.

Step Four
Decrease or eliminate sugar and sugary foods. Sugar promotes yeast growth.

Step Five
Use a garlic clove as a suppository. Garlic contains a natural anti-fungal agent. Peel a fresh clove, wrap it in gauze and insert it into the vagina.

Step Six
Try gentian violet. It's a traditional remedy for yeast and other infections, and can be found in pharmacies. Swab the area with it once or twice a day. Make sure to use a thick pad - it stains everything.

Step Seven
Use an herbal douche. Combine equal amounts of sage, raspberry and comfrey with 1/4 part goldenseal. This can be combined with cider vinegar.

Hope this helps!
Old 12-07-2007, 01:46 PM
Hatchling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hadassah View Post
Okay, one other thought.... I just made my favorite marinated cremini mushrooms. Since mushrooms are fungi and yeast are fungi, should I avoid them until this despicable malady flees my body?

I would say yes.

I would douche with a grapefruit seed extract solution, too. It will kill ANYTHING. You can also do garlic vaginal suppositories, like Carmella suggested. You can bruise it and spear it with a needle and thread and create a "tampon" out of it, so you can retrieve it in the morning. Or juice it and mix the juice with coconut oil (a powerful antimicrobial, antifungal) and shape it into bullets and freeze. Insert as a vaginal suppository, before sleep. It will melt overnight from your body heat. Note: wear old pjs/undies. ;-)

Last edited by rawcaryn : 12-07-2007 at 01:51 PM.
Old 12-07-2007, 02:05 PM
Western Meadowlark

Soothing douche

I've done this many times.
You just mix a cup of plain acidophilus yogurt into warm water and douche with it. Then at night, pack your vagina with yogurt and wear a sanitary napkin. Also, if you will do it, eat either yogurt or take acidophilus liquid several times a day.

Yeast eats sugar. Stay off sugars until it clears up.

Your body should balance itself in a day or two.
Old 12-07-2007, 11:31 PM
Swallow

Wow, what awesome replies! You gals sure know your stuff. I would have never thought of GSE or garlic suppositories. Making suppositories out of coconut oil and garlic juice.... BRILLIANT! Thanks for the all suggestions, they are all helpful.

I am feeling much better and I have you all to thank for it

Right now I am feeling cheated in my education... six years of college and what did I learn? How to write prescriptions for anti-fungal creams. Wish I could have specialized in natural holistic healing instead.
Old 12-08-2007, 11:09 PM
Mute Swan

Wow, I agree, what a great resource here!
I haven't had many yeast infections, treated one with the dilute vinegar solution, that is all I recall, but garlic, let me tell you about that!
When pregnant both times I was tested as positive for the GBS (Group B Strep), I forget what I did the first time but I did refuse antibiotics (was at home thank goodness), 2nd pregnancy, did a routine of whole garlic cloves and sometimes marshmallow root powder. When re-tested I tested negative
So yeah, garlic suppositories = good stuff!

There was a lady doing a study on it's effectiveness for treatment, I sent her my results/program, wonder how that all worked out.........

PS, for birth stuff, I LOVE this site Midwife Archives
I have learned a lot there

Raw Freedom Community > Sunny Raw Lifestyle > Health & Nutrition > Health General