Raw Freedom Community  

Advertisement

Go Back   Raw Freedom Community > Sunny Raw Lifestyle > Health & Nutrition > Health General

Old 12-07-2007, 08:25 PM
Meadowlark

natural raw vegan product lines?

ok. guys. i need some help w/ recommendations for product lines esp. ones i can find at a target or cvs. whole foods is about an hour to me, & i don't prefer ordering online.

- dr. bronner's is the only line i think i can trust, but they're not available anywhere near me.

i've also heard of "Tom's Of Maine" products, but the toothpaste has fluoride in it, which i read was not very suitable. So i'm not sure about that line, and it says "natural." from being on this forum, i learned not to be too trustful of labels... that i must read the ingredients, but i don't know all the harmful ingredients yet. "Kiss My Face" is also very available to me, but i'm not sure about them either. any recommendations?

- lip balm/chapstick (chapstick also has a natural line out. what do you guys think?)

burt's bees would also be a no-go for me, b/c of the beeswax. vegan please.
Old 12-07-2007, 08:56 PM
Mute Swan

I really like this as a resource
Safety Data Base
Old 12-07-2007, 09:01 PM
Meadowlark

kirks brand castile soap , coconut oil based . link =

www.kirksnatural.com

here locally in detroit area i find kirks in alot of grocery stores at a dollar per good sized bar .
Old 12-07-2007, 09:49 PM
Meadowlark

DB! Thank you! I'm checking the site out right now!

MR - I've never heard of Kirks! I'm glad to hear they're available at your grocers. Now I know another line to keep my eye out for!

I'm still excited that I found the crystal salt deodorant at my cvs today. I never knew they had them for sale before. I have a bias belief that major retail stores wouldn't carry the natural stuff, but they do. It's just that I have to learn what to look for.
Old 12-07-2007, 10:10 PM
Meadowlark

justme i didnt wanta say it in your exercise thread to put a damper on it but i think alot of people are in a holidaymode for december and are just chowing and keepin the couch from blowin away

thusly they didnt sign up . but come the first non holiday monday in january , 7th or 8th , its fasting and exercising WAR . so i hope you start a work out thread then and i'll sign up .
Old 12-07-2007, 11:28 PM
Meadowlark

no problem.
Old 12-08-2007, 05:49 AM
Nuthatch

I live an hour from the nearest Target/Walmart and 3.5 hours from the nearest Whole Foods. I simply couldn't function without ordering things from afar! Plenty of sites online allow one to order by phone and even pay by check.

I love Kirk's Castile and you get get that almost anywhere. You could try the no 'poo thing and use baking soda and cider vinegar for your hair. I have used pure coconut oil as a moisturizer. And I use plain baking soda for toothpaste.

Next time you make it to a bigger city you could just buy a gallon of Dr. Bronner's. Then you would be set for awhile!

I've been finding more and more that if I go into a discount store like Target (which is rare) I feel sick if I even have to walk past the personal care section! How can people stand to wear those horrible-smelling concoctions on their skin all day?

One thing you can probably find at a regular store like Walgreens or Target is plain Vitamin E oil. I use this straight on my lips at night (especially in the winter) and find this really helpful. Another thing you can usually find is plain cocoa butter which is also a nice moisturizer. Just make sure you read the ingredients because sometimes nonsense is added.

If you could find cocoa butter and Vitamin E oil you could make your own lip balm by melting the cocoa butter and adding a few drops of E oil and maybe a drop or two of some essential oil you like (peppermint, orange, or lemon perhaps?). Then pour the mixture into a small container and you're set.

Good luck with your quest!
Old 12-08-2007, 04:28 PM
Mute Swan

Thanks for the tips,
Please though, be careful to use food grade ingredients, synthetic Vit.E is NOT cool, nor is well processed (as in chemicalized) Cocoa butter, buy the real thing you would eat.
I use the same coconut oil I cook with on any dry body parts (hands, face, hair) and it works grand
Old 12-08-2007, 06:47 PM
Meadowlark

i got all excited about the vit. E. , but i probably have the synthetic type. *sigh*

DB -- i went through the site & typed in "kiss my face." they are around the 7s for toxicity. oh my good lord! i also got excited about that line, too, since it's available. oh well.

tuesday will be the day i try to get the kirk's! i'm excited! now what to do for chapstick/lip balm... that burt bee's is so tempting but NO. NO. NO. NO!

i'm a confessed creature of convenience.
Old 12-08-2007, 10:02 PM
Mute Swan

*sigh, I know the feeling, I remember getting all excited by the "natural" and "organic" care products that started popping up several years ago, but after a little research/investigation, , not so after all
asi es la vida!
I really like the coconut oil on my face and lips, it is pretty greasy at first but absorbs quite quick, and leaves my skin feeling soft

Raw Freedom Community > Sunny Raw Lifestyle > Health & Nutrition > Health General