Raw Freedom Community  

Advertisement

Go Back   Raw Freedom Community > Sunny Raw Lifestyle > The Recipes > Entrees and Main Courses - General

Old 12-09-2007, 11:46 AM
Hatchling

Pizza Supreme

Click image for larger version

Name:	raw food 002.jpg
Views:	438
Size:	24.7 KB
ID:	1382
This reminded me sooooooo much of the fully loaded pizza I ate as a kid - years ago we quit eating pork, but this sausage really tastes like the real deal! You could feel free to use some raw-cured olives for a more complete taste, but I didn't think it needed any:

Buckwheat Crust
1 c buckwheat, soaked
3/4 c sundried tomatoes, soaked
1 avocado
1 small onion
1 tsp sea salt
1c flaxmeal

Process the buckwheat, tomatoes, avocado, onion, and sea salt until smooth.

Remove to a bowl and add the flaxmeal. Spread on two Teflexx sheets until about 1/8-1/4 inch thick. Score into slices and dehydrate for 3 hours. Flip the slices, turn heat to 95 degrees and dehydrate about another 10 hours.

Pizza Sauce
1/2 c sundried tomatoes, soaked (save the soak water)
1 tsp oregano
1 very small clove garlic, minced
1/2 tsp basil

Blend together with just enough soakwater to make a thick sauce.

Sausage
2 Medjool dates, pitted
1 c walnuts
1/2 tsp fennel
pinch crushed red pepper
tiny pinch ground red pepper
1/4 tsp basil
1/4 tsp oregano
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper

Process the walnuts till chopped. Add everything else, including dates, and process until it comes together but still has texture.

Mozzarella
1 c almonds, soaked
2 tsp tahini
1 tbsp lemon
1/2 tsp nama shoyu/gf soy sauce

Blend together till smooth and let sit in fridge overnight

To make the pizzas:
Assesmble:
Crust
Tomato Sauce
Mozzarella
Sausage
Chopped onion
Chopped green pepper

Dehydrate at 110 degrees for about an hour or until warm.
Old 12-09-2007, 01:14 PM
Hummingbird - Caretaker

I have to confess, I've never had sausage on pizza before but that looks yummy. Come to think of it, tonite is gonna be pizza nite here too. Yippee!
Old 12-09-2007, 01:23 PM
Hatchling

my little sillies scarfed it down. I saved some for their box lunches for tomorrow.

hubby didn't like the crust, though. and he doesn't do sausage so it was a wash with him.
Old 12-10-2007, 04:40 AM
Rawbie

Hey naomipoe!

Thanks for posting a great pizza recipe. I noticed that you posted the same recipe at Gone Raw. You mentioned that you soaked your buckwheats for only 15 to 30 minutes and that was it -- no sprouting at all. Is that right?

If this method works for you, I am wondering if it is necessary to see those little tails before using buckwheats to prepare any raw dishes. It would be considered a great time saver if no sprouting is needed at all.

By the way, I totally understand about your concern with regard to buckwheat and toxicity, but believe the toxicity issue is mostly related to buckwheat greens more than anything else.

http://www.gillesarbour.com/buckwheat.php

I think sprouted buckwheat with those little tails are safe to eat. Please correct me if I am mistaken.

Thanks,

Wayne
Old 12-11-2007, 05:39 AM
Rawbie

Does anyone soak buckwheat and then immediately proceed to prepare raw dishes such as pizza crust? Basically, I am asking if sprouting buckwheat is really necessary especially after soaking and rinsing until the water runs clear.
Old 12-11-2007, 11:23 AM
Bad Mumble Jumble Dodo Bird

I soak mine overnight and next day rinse and use in recipe or dehydrate for 'grawnola' no sprouty tails. But I read somewhere that soaking is actually a beginning of srpouting process. Joz
Old 12-11-2007, 01:42 PM
Hummingbird - Caretaker

I do like Joz, just soaked overnite and rinsed really well to get as much of the goey stuff as possible. Works great!
Old 12-11-2007, 03:48 PM
Rawbie

Interesting!

Jozzie and Carmi, you both soak your buckwheat groats overnight, huh? Please know that I am not being critical at all, but find that your method very interesting since various sources in cyberspace say that buckwheat only needs short soaking time. For instance, here is an excerpt from sproutpeople.com: (http://www.sproutpeople.com/seed/bwgroats.html)

Groats take up all the water they need quickly, that is why their Soak time is so short. They get waterlogged if soaked too long, and will never sprout - so - Don't over-soak!

If I understand the excerpt correctly, you are basically drowning your buckwheat groats by soaking them overnight. I wonder if they are still considered living after all that soaking.

Anyway, you probably can tell that I have never dealt with buckwheat groats as of yet. Yes, that is correct, but I plan to include them in various raw dishes as much as possible once my fast is over with. I am just curious about the necessity of sprouting once short soaking is done (i.e 15 to 30 minutes).
Old 12-11-2007, 04:07 PM
Bad Mumble Jumble Dodo Bird

I'm gonna try the 30 min method and see????if they get 'gooey' or not??

WOW! I just did it because; do all my nuts, seeds, go to sleep, a.m. rinse and ready to go ! But if I'm killing or drowing the poor cute little thingys then I must STOP ? Joz
Old 12-11-2007, 06:52 PM
Chickadee

made it
loved it
thanks for sharing!

-snow
Old 12-12-2007, 04:46 AM
Rawbie

Hey snowdrop!

Do you mind telling us how you prepared your buckwheat groats for the pizza recipe? Did you simply soak them for 15 to 30 minutes based on naomipoe's suggestion and then proceed to make the pizza crust?

Looking forward to hearing your response!

Wayne
Old 12-12-2007, 09:28 AM
Chickadee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rawbie View Post
Hey snowdrop!

Do you mind telling us how you prepared your buckwheat groats for the pizza recipe? Did you simply soak them for 15 to 30 minutes based on naomipoe's suggestion and then proceed to make the pizza crust?

Looking forward to hearing your response!

Wayne
hi wayne!
i soaked my grain overnite
come to find out... i grabbed my oat groats instead of the jar next to it buckwheat groats by accident.
happy accident.... the pizza was wonderful.
so i guess any grain softened overnite should work.
hope that helps

xoxoxo
-snow

Old 12-12-2007, 11:02 AM
Meadowlark

snowdrop...

That looks so good. Thanks for posting!!!

We have a (*&%& office Christmas party tonight for dh company. I really don't want to go....but since he is a manager we have no choice.

I'd rather stay home and eat this pizza!!!
Old 12-12-2007, 11:06 AM
Chickadee

thanks be to naomi!
Old 12-12-2007, 11:13 AM
Meadowlark

Your right...my bad

Thanks Naomi!!

Raw Freedom Community > Sunny Raw Lifestyle > The Recipes > Entrees and Main Courses - General