Raw Freedom Community  

Advertisement

Go Back   Raw Freedom Community > Sunny Raw Lifestyle > Raw Food Preparation - General

Raw Food Preparation - General Share and learn about raw food prep, ingredients, recipes and tips.

Old 12-18-2007, 08:02 PM
Swallow

Irish Moss

I've been using Irish Moss to make desserts and it works really well. I wanted to find out more about the Irish Moss. So far, I know that it is a sea vegetable used for it's binding component.

How long can an Irish Moss stay refrigerated?

Does Irish Moss go bad?

thank you
Old 12-18-2007, 11:16 PM
Sweety Tweety Bird

Ja I would love to know more about this stuff apparently it is part of sea veggie which I love and I sourced down to have a lookie but all I could find was mossy for I was hoping it would be something I would recognize and something which I can get locally.....

danke ~ a
xo
Old 12-19-2007, 07:50 AM
Quetzal

Here is a link to the Wikipedia description of Irish Moss
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chondrus_crispus

And here is what Elaina Love says about it on her Pure Joy website:

"What Gelatin is to "Jell-O", Raw Irish Moss is to Pudding, Cream Pie, Meringue, Whipped Cream, Salad Dressing, Smoothies, Sauces, anything you could want a stable-liquid form for! While gelatin is an animal-derived protein, Irish Moss contains a polysaccharide (a natural form of sugar) which, when thoroughly blended, also disperses throughout a liquid to create a semi-solid structure. In fact, the carageenan found in Irish Moss is used by the mainstream food industry to make jellies, ice creams, dressings and other foods!

In addition to its functional benefits, Raw Irish Moss is an excellent source of minerals. This almost-tasteless seaweed is loaded with life-enhancing nutrients such as sulphur compounds, protein, iodine, bromine, beta-carotene, calcium, iron, magnesium, manganese, phosphorus, potassium, selenium, zinc, pectin, B-vitamins and vitamin C. Notably absent from a vegetarian diet, sulphur-containing amino acids, such as taurine, are abundant in Irish moss, more so than in any other type of seaweed!

Healing benefits of Raw Irish Moss are abundant. As a soothing aid to all mucous membranes, Irish Moss eases such digestive ailments as gastritis, dyspepsia, nausea, heartburn, indigestion, constipation, and peptic and duodenal ulcers. Irish Moss also has antibacterial, antiviral, and anticoagulant activities. Used topically, Irish Moss helps to soothe skin conditions such as eczema, psoriasis, dermatitis, sunburn, and chapped skin. " http://www.purejoyplanet.com/store/p...roducts_id=108

I just ordered some from her and I expect it to arrive today or tomorrow. I will let you know if there is any more info in her package.

Peaches
Old 12-19-2007, 08:01 AM
Meadowlark

awesome!! I MUST order this stuff!!!! Glad to read that, thanks Peaches for posting it.
Old 12-19-2007, 10:56 AM
Hummingbird - Caretaker

I second that. It's now on my wish list too.
Old 12-19-2007, 06:10 PM
Hummingbird - Caretaker

Funny timing as I just received a small sample of Irish moss in the mail today, thanks to dear Jozzie. However, the thing of it is, it really smells awful! Ewwwwww Hard to imagine that this stuff is truly flavorless. Could it be that it's gone bad or is it the way it's supposed to be? Also, it is sorta wet. Hum, I can see your point, Flandria, about keeping it in the fridge.

Anyhoo, please reassure me that all is well as I wouldn't want it to ruin my desserts.

Thanks!
Old 12-19-2007, 06:12 PM
Meadowlark

maybe you should...gulp...taste some of it???

Just a little nibble. I've never bought it so I cannot comment on the smell. Sorry...
Old 12-19-2007, 09:07 PM
Meadowlark

ewwww...stinky irish moss! lol

did you taste it carmi!?!? let us know what the verdict is!
Old 12-19-2007, 09:32 PM
Swallow

More on Irish Moss...

Thanks for the reference Peaches!

I got my Irish Moss from Cafe Gratitude. I think they are the only ones who sell it here - online and online.

I soaked mine for several hours per Love's suggestion and it actually got the griddy stuff off the sea plant. It also go softer. I noticed a lot of sand in the bowl so I re-washed and soaked some more.

Love has a loaf recipe I am trying tonight and it required Irish Moss.

I still want to know how long Irish Moss can stay in the fridge because I got a big bag for less than $15 (US) so a bag goes a long ways.

Again, appreciate everyone's input - really helpful!
Old 12-20-2007, 09:18 AM
Quetzal

I will post the info I received with my order later today, but if I remeber correctly she said unsoaked (dry in its original bag or in an air tight jar) it should last 2 weeks in the fridge, soaked it should last 10 days in the fridge. She also said it could be stored in the freezer.

I am anxious to hear how your laof turns out.

'till later,
Peaches
Old 12-20-2007, 11:07 AM
Hummingbird - Caretaker

FG, no I haven't mustered the courage to yet.

But according to Peaches info as to how long it keeps, it sounds like it might be bad as it's been most definitely longer than 2 weeks since Joz received it. Bummer!
Old 12-20-2007, 01:48 PM
Quetzal

Okay, here is what the instructions say:

"Storage: We recommend keeping dry Irish moss sealed in your refrigerator or freezer.

When soaked, refrigerate Irish moss, outside of water in an airtight container for 2 weeks or more. If your Irish Moss smells salty and ocean-like, then it is perfect!

Once made into a paste, Irish moss will last about 10 days.

Irish moss doubles to triples in size once it is soaked.

How to work with Irish Moss

* Irish Moss should be kept dry in a bag or jar until ready for use. For best shelf life keep the dry moss refridgerated.

* To use: Soak a handful of Irish moss in a glass jar for 3-4 hours in cool filtered water at room temperature. As an alternative, you can soak the moss in the refrigerator for up to 24 hours. The reason for the time allowance is that if the moss over-soaks, it looses its gelatinous quality and the recipes won't work.

* Hot water should NEVER ber used as it also removes the gelatinousness.

* Once the moss is oaked, rinse it very well in cold water to remove sand, debris, plastic netting bits, etc.

* Measure the moss by packing it into your measuring cup.

* About 1/4 cup packed to 1 cup of water is a good base.

* To make a gel, gum or paste (depends on the amount of water used) blend on high until there are no lumps left in the moss and it looks like a translucent paste.

* Use the moss in smoothies, gravies, ice creams, nutshakes, soups, salad dressings, mashed notatoes, dehydrated tortilla wraps, veggie loafs, etc."

From Elaina Love
www.purejoyplanet.com
Old 12-20-2007, 08:32 PM
Hatchling

Ohhh.. ohhh..... I had lemon meringue pie at that little Raw cafe in Sedona Arizona. They made it with irish moss and it was soooooooooooooooo good! I would have never known there was such a thing in it... But the girl working there told me and handed me a write up on Irish Moss with all its benefits, etc.

I would definitely try it out girls! (oh, and it didn't stink when I was eating it. )
Old 12-20-2007, 08:42 PM
Hummingbird - Caretaker

Thank you so much for typing the info, Peaches. Mouah mouah

Got a question for you... Elaina says it's originally dry, right? Is it like dry dry as in dry mushies or whatever. No moisture at all? Cuz the one I've got is slightly moist.

BTW, you can let me know once you open the package after you get back. No rush here. It's safely in the freezer.
Old 12-20-2007, 08:57 PM
Swallow

Thank you Peaches!

Wow! That is exactly the info I need! thanks Peaches!

thank you!

Raw Freedom Community > Sunny Raw Lifestyle > Raw Food Preparation - General