Raw Freedom Community  

Advertisement

Go Back   Raw Freedom Community > Sunny Raw Lifestyle > Raw Food Preparation - General

Raw Food Preparation - General Share and learn about raw food prep, ingredients, recipes and tips.

Old 12-20-2007, 01:47 AM
Sweety Tweety Bird

Exclamation EMERGENCY PROJECT R.A.W. no. 1 - 'Spinach & Wild Mushroom Quiche'

Hello dear raw peeps!!

I am sorry for this late announcement but I am sooooo excited that I found 2 of the many things that I needed.... okay I do not have Nutritional Yeast or even white miso but I might just do without or search for them 1 final time or substitute with another...?? I have not decided but this I have to make for I will be busy on 21, 22, part of 23 & 24 and free on 25. So I want this ready for 25 or even for 23 night....

Anybody dares to take on the short-notice R.A.W. Project with me??

Let's do it guys.... here is the link Spinach & Wild Mushroom Quiche. I will be assembling most stuffs on Sunday the 23rd.

Last edited by aisah : 12-20-2007 at 01:52 AM.
Old 12-20-2007, 10:05 AM
Bad Mumble Jumble Dodo Bird

Aisah 's'tweety You did not warn us ahead of time: Me's going to the coast till Monday p.m.

I have been asked to do this for dinner; (some day!) so it's in the "TO DO" sorry 's'tweety mo no can do this time:

Aisah 's'tweety can do can do; DODO said you can do can do !

xoxoxo Joz
Old 12-20-2007, 10:31 AM
Hummingbird - Caretaker

Aisah mushie lover Tweety!

Guess what! I had already planned on making these over the weekend! Purrrrrfect! Altho it's looking like it will happen on Saturday rather than Sunday for me but aren't you a day ahead anyways? That would mean our timing would be pretty darn close!

Hey, I don't think the miso is critical at all. Just sub with tamari or salt, to taste.
Old 12-20-2007, 10:36 AM
Meadowlark

Ok Aisah...I will go for it too!

Now...one question...do I have to start this project on your time zone or can I wait and do it in mine???

HAHAHA!
Old 12-20-2007, 10:46 AM
Sweety Tweety Bird

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carmella View Post
Aisah mushie lover Tweety!

Guess what! I had already planned on making these over the weekend! Purrrrrfect! Altho it's looking like it will happen on Saturday rather than Sunday for me but aren't you a day ahead anyways? That would mean our timing would be pretty darn close!

Hey, I don't think the miso is critical at all. Just sub with tamari or salt, to taste.
GREAT!!! YAY!!! You are right, I am a day ahead so we are making it on the 'same day'!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RawLeah View Post
Ok Aisah...I will go for it too!

Now...one question...do I have to start this project on your time zone or can I wait and do it in mine???

HAHAHA!
RawLeah, it does not matter you see because YOU DO NOT SLEEP!!!

On a serious note, well I will be making on Sunday sometime in the afternoon so you can make yours on Saturday evening if you wish or even Sunday is fine too.... keep it over the weekend would be fun and fine!!!

So I will have to roll up my sleeves

Prawfessional Carmi, do you think it will alter the taste if I omit nutritional yeast and miso?? I saw brewer's yeast, that is completely different ja??

Danke all for wanting to be a part of E.R.A.W..... hee hee Emergency R.A.W.

kusse kusse ~ a
xoxo
Old 12-20-2007, 10:51 AM
Hummingbird - Caretaker

Awesome! Looks like it's a go for the weekend then! Yay!

No miso won't make a big difference at all. On the other hand, no nutritional yeast... Hum... It gives such a unique cheezy flavor. Brewer's yeast would work.

Hey, methinks that we could put Dodo Bird on a mission to send you nutritional yeast as she'll already be mailing off your prize for the Holiday Draw. Dodo, wdyt?

Of course, it wouldn't arrive in time for this project though but at least you'd have in on hand for the next ones...
Old 12-20-2007, 10:52 AM
Bad Mumble Jumble Dodo Bird

Aisah; i need some kusse kusse ! I will be thinking about you making this while walking on the beach ! does that count?

Jozzzzzzzzzzzzie
Old 12-20-2007, 10:54 AM
Hummingbird - Caretaker

Jozzie, we must have been typing at the same time!
Old 12-20-2007, 10:57 AM
Toucan - Caretaker

Oh, nooo!
Sorry guys to interrupt, but Brewers yeast is BITTER! Please, do not use it in this wonderful recipe!
Hehe, I just know, I was searching and reading a lot about the nutritional yeast lately.
Old 12-20-2007, 11:00 AM
Sweety Tweety Bird

Quote:
Awesome! Looks like it's a go for the weekend then! Yay!

No miso won't make a big difference at all. On the other hand, no nutritional yeast... Hum... It gives such a unique cheezy flavor. Brewer's yeast would work.

Hey, methinks that we could put Dodo Bird on a mission to send you nutritional yeast as she'll already be mailing off your prize for the Holiday Draw. Dodo, wdyt?

Of course, it wouldn't arrive in time for this project though but at least you'd have in on hand for the next ones...
Weekend it shall be then!! How nice!! I thank you and RawLeah for joining me and truly sorry for I am really chasing time now. It is 5 minutes to 2am and I am still up for I have loads of stuffs to do.... plenty of typing... emailings.... and all these to be done by Sunday I will not be suffocated and that is when I want to make this for Monday I am partly busy and hopefully there is still some left for Xmas dinner

So great to know Brewer's would do too!!! I do not want her to do so much things for me... I feel bad already... plus I need several more things which I will 'shop' for the store back home.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyjoz View Post
Aisah; i need some kusse kusse ! I will be thinking about you making this while walking on the beach ! does that count?

Jozzzzzzzzzzzzie
Sure I will give you plenty plenty PLENTY OF KUSSES KUSSES KUSSES KUSSES!!!! Jozzie somehow it feels like I am singing instead of 'talking' to you.... and it seems like you are too... except you only do the chorus, you know how they repeat in chorus... thinking of me.... hmmm that will do dodo that will do.... danke!

Quote:
Jozzie, we must have been typing at the same time!
Oh never mind her, she will never figure this one out... she is a dodo!!!

Old 12-20-2007, 11:01 AM
Sweety Tweety Bird

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosaica View Post
Oh, nooo!
Sorry guys to interrupt, but Brewers yeast is BITTER! Please, do not use it in this wonderful recipe!
Hehe, I just know, I was searching and reading a lot about the nutritional yeast lately.
Oh darn!! Just when I am getting all excited about this.... but oh well... I will just have to omit... but I will keep my fingers crossed till I truly have looked in other stores....

Thank you Mosaica!
Old 12-20-2007, 11:09 AM
Toucan - Caretaker

Sorry, Aisah... Another big difference is, that nutritional yeast is deactivated, brewer's yeast is active. And you don't need to rise anything in this recipe!
Read here:

"Brewers yeast, is a bitter by-product of the brewing industry that has a high nutritional profile, but typically not as high as Red StarŪ Nutritional Yeast which is grown for maximized nutritional benefits."

from this site, where you can actually order it online:

http://www.bulkfoods.com/yeast.htm
Old 12-20-2007, 11:13 AM
Sweety Tweety Bird

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosaica View Post
Sorry, Aisah... Another big difference is, that nutritional yeast is deactivated, brewer's yeast is active. And you don't need to rise anything in this recipe!
Read here:

"Brewers yeast, is a bitter by-product of the brewing industry that has a high nutritional profile, but typically not as high as Red StarŪ Nutritional Yeast which is grown for maximized nutritional benefits."

from this site, where you can actually order it online:

http://www.bulkfoods.com/yeast.htm
Oh oh oh.... thank you for the note Mosaica.... I love the Red Star one and I will be placing order from Singapore, cheaper shipping plus it is almost like a one-stop shopping for me except I do it via phone... thanks again!!
Old 12-22-2007, 02:32 PM
Hummingbird - Caretaker

A'right, well I'm back to report. I've got all kinds of yummy goodies in the D, including the crusts for these quiches. I decided to make them in muffin pans.

I've decided to make two kinds of crusts: Russell's and Being's version with hazelnuts and kale. I don't really have the right size moulds so I ended up just using goo ol' muffin pans with saran wrap.

Waiting to flip 'em... I'll give them another hour I think.

Oh, and the mushie are marinating away.

Aisah girl, you sure you'll be able to make this with your eyes open?

Last edited by Carmella : 12-23-2007 at 09:18 PM.
Old 12-22-2007, 06:33 PM
Hummingbird - Caretaker

Aisah, you there?

Just wanted to mention that you might want to use a little less water in the crust batter as I found it a bit wet. What size moulds were you thinking of using? Anyhoo, mine were in muffin pans and ended up taking longer to dehydrate than Russell said (maybe because they were too wet?) I had to dip my fingers in water repeatedly to spread the batter in the cups so it does account for additional moisture.

I've just finished making the filling. I used 1 tbs less yeast and a lot less miso too and it tasted just right to me. I wouldn't have wanted to put more yeast/miso in there for sure. I used perhaps 3 cups of spinach instead of 2 and 1 tbs oil. Oh, and I de-seeded the tomatoes as I figured that it would also reduce the dehydration time and avoid the filling to be mushy.

OK, off to assemble them now. I'll be taking pics of the process and put them up shortly.

Raw Freedom Community > Sunny Raw Lifestyle > Raw Food Preparation - General