Raw Freedom Community  

Advertisement

Go Back   Raw Freedom Community > Sunny Raw Lifestyle > Raw Food Preparation - General

Raw Food Preparation - General Share and learn about raw food prep, ingredients, recipes and tips.

Old 12-23-2007, 06:25 AM
Swallow

Carmi, my review of the 2 tortilla recipes

I made the tortilla recipe in Allissa's book twice. The first time I made half a recipe and it turned out fine. The second time I made the whole recipe and I had to throw it all out. They were very gummy. I have added corn to the onion bread recipe, like half onion, half corn, and it was more gummy than usual too.

So then I thought I would try the corn tortilla recipe from Raw Food Real World. One of the differences between the two recipes, as they both have flax which could have contributed to the gummy, is that RFRW has 1 1/2 cups of red or yellow pepper. I would think the vegetables would help the consistency. The RFRW recipe also has a little chili poweder and cumin, so the tortillas are nice and flavorful.

Just so you know, when I made the enchiladas using the RFRW recipe, I couldn't roll it into an enchilada because it seemed like it would have cracked, so I just cut the tortillas in half (mine were small because I have the round dehydrator), put the veggies on and put the other half on. I was ok with that. Then dehydrated as Allissa's recipe says. They were very tasty. I may have dried the tortillas a little too long, I'm not really sure, why I couldn't roll them up.

Maybe you would have better luck with Alissa's recipe, like I said it turned out ok the first time, but I still prefer the RFRW recipe myself.

Hope this review is helpful! Let me know if you try the enchiladas.

Carmi, could you point me in the direction of the Focaccia pizza crust?

Have yourself a fine day and Happy Holidays!

Blessings and peace,

Marcia

Last edited by mblessed : 12-23-2007 at 06:36 AM. Reason: To add something
Old 12-23-2007, 11:07 AM
Hummingbird - Caretaker

Marcia,
Wow, thanks for taking the time to report so thoroughly about your findings. Hum, although I haven't made Alissa's enchiladas yet, I think I remember someone (Maraw?) saying how critical it is that you use frozen corn for the tortillas as it does affect the texture. She said she didn't once and had to throw the whole batch too. What a bummer.

I will definitely report back when I do try them.

As for the focaccia pizza crust, the recipe is in the new edition of my Best of SRK ebook. You can download it from the same place you got the original version. (Send me a PM if you've lost the link! )
Old 12-23-2007, 12:47 PM
Swallow

Carmi, that is so interesting that someone else had to throw out the whole batch too! I did use frozen corn both times. Mmmmmmmmmmmm. The only other thing I can think of is I might of added too much flax the second time.
Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm. I'm scratching my head trying to figure out what went wrong the second time.

Thank you for taking the time to share.

Blessings and peace,

Marcia
Old 12-23-2007, 01:04 PM
Western Meadowlark

Raw Corn Tortillas

Best tortillas I eer made was with a package of thawed raw corn and a little salt.

Whirled it up in the processor.
Put it on the teflex in circles about 4 inches in diameter.
Made it about 1/8 inch thick (thinner and they are too thin)
Dehydrated it until the top was dry enough to peel from the teflex.
Flipped them over then dehdyrated until they were the consistency of fruit leather.

These made excellent tortillas with a wonderful flavor!

I even dehydrated some until they were crispy.
They stored very well that way and when I was ready to use them, I wrapped them in a damp dishtowel until they were soft enough to use.

The only drawback was they do stick to your teeth
But they were easy and really yummy!

Raw Freedom Community > Sunny Raw Lifestyle > Raw Food Preparation - General