Raw Freedom Community  

Advertisement

Go Back   Raw Freedom Community > Sunny Raw Lifestyle > The Recipes > Desserts and Sweet Treats

Old 01-25-2008, 07:27 PM
Swallow

Mango Cheesecake

This dessert is dear to my heart because I created it from my love for tropical fruits. I love mangoes and wouldn’t mind having a cheesecake full of mango flavors. I had a nice trick for the crust that will bring out the citrus aroma of the cheesecake. This recipe will make 9 1/2 inch round spring form pan.

This cheesecake came out really fluffy and not very sweet but very creamy. If you want it sweeter add more agave nectar or more mangoes.

Part 1: Crust

Ingredients

2 cups almonds, unsoaked
1/2 tsp vanilla
1/8 tsp salt
3 tbsp agave nectar
2-3 orange zest
Place all the ingredients in the food processor except the orange zest. Process until fine crumbs but not to wet. Add in the zest and pulse. You should smell the zesty aroma of the orange zest with the almond. Yum! In the pan, place a parchment paper at the bottom of the spring form and lock the sides. Oil the bottom with some coconut butter or oil for easy removal once the cake is ready to cut. Press the crust down at the bottom then refrigerate while making the filling.

Part 2: Filling

Ingredients

2 cups soaked cashews
1 cup unsoaked cashews
1 1/2 cup of home made almond milk
1 1/2 cup of chopped ripe mangoes
1/2 cup of agave nectar
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 tsp salt
3 tbsp of lecithin
3/4 cup of coconut butter
Place all ingredients in a blender except lecithin and coconut butter. Blend well until smooth then add the lecithin and coconut butter. Blend until smooth. Take the pan out of the refrigerator and pour in the filling. Even the top out with spatula and slightly press down to get rid of air bubbles. Return to refrigerator and let it set about 1 hour.

Part 3: Mango Glaze Top

Ingredients

2-3 stems of Irish Moss
1/4 cup filtered or purified or drinking water
1 mango, chopped
1 tbsp of coconut butter
Blend Irish Moss with water until gelatenous consistency and smooth. Add the mangoes and blend until smooth. Add the coconut butter last and blend until very smooth. Take out the setting cheesecake from the fridge and pour the glaze on top of the cheesecake. Set overnight.

Part 4: Assembly

If you have a melon baller, make some balls to garnish before serving to guests. Do not garnish until service because the fruits tend to discolor. Save the balls or cut up mangoes or even more orange zest for topping. Have fun with decorating in any form. I like mine simple with the mango balls at the edges but you can go crazy! Remove the cheesecake from the spring form and carefully slide the cheesecake out to a serving plate. Slice the cheesecake and enjoy a tropical paradise dessert!

Attached is a printable file of the recipe as well. Enjoy!

Cheflandria
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2216371157_f5a3f53460.jpg
Views:	245
Size:	12.2 KB
ID:	1692  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf recipe3mangocheesecake.pdf (160.8 KB, 397 views)

Last edited by flandria : 01-25-2008 at 07:31 PM.
Old 01-25-2008, 09:50 PM
Hummingbird - Caretaker

Oh my Goodness! I think I've died and gone to tropical heaven! Thanks Flandria. I've been wanting to try Irish moss for some time, now I better start looking into ordering some. Guess Elaina Love's store is the place, right? Hang on, here's the link in case others are interested too.

Last edited by Carmella : 01-25-2008 at 09:54 PM.
Old 02-02-2008, 07:10 PM
Hatchling

flandria,

I just made this and put it in the fridge for 1/2 and hour and then the freezer another half an hour and the filling came out real soft like it didn't set. Thinking maybe it should be in overnight maybe? It does taste good though.
Old 02-02-2008, 07:25 PM
Hummingbird - Caretaker

Hi KaleChick and welcome on board!

Perhaps it's due to the temp of the freezer, but I know my desserts take a lot longer to set. I usually have to make them early afternoon in order to be ready for that evening.
Old 02-02-2008, 10:01 PM
Swallow

Recipe

Bummer to hear but usually it should set around an hour. How big is your spring form pan?

I've had some cakes taking over night in the fridge to set and that depends on the water in the fruit. If the fruit has higher water content, I adjust the liquid such as almond milk or water.

Let me know how it comes out the next day. Did you also make two layers? I let the lower layer set for about 30mins to 1 hour then make the second layer after it sets then add the second layer then let it set again.

hope that helps!!!
Old 05-07-2009, 11:16 AM
Meadowlark

Here's another recipe that calls for coconut butter in the filling. Does Flandria really mean coconut oil???
Old 05-07-2009, 11:49 AM
Bad Mumble Jumble Dodo Bird

it reads;
Place all ingredients in a blender except lecithin and coconut butter. Blend well until smooth then add the lecithin and coconut butter. Blend until smooth. that means the hardened oil...........otherwise it would say 'melt' the cocoa butter

hope that helps? Joz
Old 05-07-2009, 12:23 PM
Meadowlark

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyjoz View Post
it reads;
Place all ingredients in a blender except lecithin and coconut butter. Blend well until smooth then add the lecithin and coconut butter. Blend until smooth. that means the hardened oil...........otherwise it would say 'melt' the cocoa butter

hope that helps? Joz
How about this: What brand of coconut butter would you use in this recipe?

I feel like an idiot. I'm just not getting this. I only have 2 options on hand here in Vermont:

1)Coconut oil which is always firm and needs to be melted.

2)Coconut butter which is hard and the brand is Artisana which uses all the coconut meat.

I'm assuming I use #1 even when an old recipe calls for coconut butter in the filling

Last edited by J.o.y.c.e : 05-07-2009 at 12:33 PM.
Old 05-07-2009, 12:56 PM
Meadowlark

Ok Joz I think I know what you mean now. I just wasn't ever aware of this new revelation:

Coconut butter means unmelted coconut oil which is extra virgin cold pressed but in a firm state

Coconut oil means means the coconut butter above is melted

And Coconut butter by Artisana has nothing to do with any of these recipes.

Am I correct? Anyone???
Old 05-07-2009, 03:40 PM
Meadowlark

Wait, what?? lol

I consider coconut butter and coconut oil to be two separate creatures.

I have a couple of mangos ripening on my counter at the moment and was considering making it this weekend. I would have used coconut butter w/o question. I think the cocconut butter with the meat in it would be better for a firmer texture anyway.

I guess I will see how it goes. If I dont have enough butter, I may fall back on oil as part of it anyway.
Old 05-07-2009, 06:45 PM
Meadowlark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pirawna View Post
Wait, what?? lol

I guess I will see how it goes. If I dont have enough butter, I may fall back on oil as part of it anyway.
Oh let us know how it turns out with the coconut butter. I totally agree that coconut butter(Artisana with the meat) and coconut oil are not the same thing.

I was wondering though if some folks who specified using coconut butter in their recipes meant unmelted coconut oil. Maybe it depends on the author of the recipe?
Old 05-08-2009, 11:10 AM
Meadowlark

I checked my mangos this morning and they are ready to go! And the champagne mango is so soft and ready I almost ate it this morning. But then the pears called out to me.

I can't find my jar of lecithin, but it would probably be years old anyway if I DID find it. Does that stuff go bad? I can't see buying another whole bag of it so it can sit there for 10 years again like the last one. How difference can a bit of emulsifier make? We'll see.
Old 05-08-2009, 11:48 AM
Meadowlark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pirawna View Post
I checked my mangos this morning and they are ready to go! And the champagne mango is so soft and ready I almost ate it this morning. But then the pears called out to me.

I can't find my jar of lecithin, but it would probably be years old anyway if I DID find it. Does that stuff go bad? I can't see buying another whole bag of it so it can sit there for 10 years again like the last one. How difference can a bit of emulsifier make? We'll see.
Hi Pirawna, I think you should be ok w/o the lecithin. Maybe add a little bit of coconut oil along with the coconut butter? I look forward to hearing how it turns out.

I'm making a basic strawberry cheesecake out of Sweet G this weekend for some rather picky family members. It's not complicated so that makes it easier for my day on Saturday which will be a marathon of raw food prep
Old 05-08-2009, 01:53 PM
Bad Mumble Jumble Dodo Bird

o.k. o.k.

Coconut oil
coconut butter is from coconuts.............and the butter is a little more creamy color

COCOA BUTTER is from cocoa/chocolate bean http://www.rawguru.com/store/_search...q=cocoa+butter
check this..........it comes in a 1 lb solid chunk.....thus IT HAS TO BE MELTED. The other ones if they are in room temp and not ''hard solid'' could be used as is.

joz

Last edited by wyjoz : 05-08-2009 at 03:43 PM.
Old 05-08-2009, 06:55 PM
Meadowlark

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyjoz View Post
o.k. o.k.

Coconut oil
coconut butter is from coconuts.............and the butter is a little more creamy color

COCOA BUTTER is from cocoa/chocolate bean http://www.rawguru.com/store/_search...q=cocoa+butter
check this..........it comes in a 1 lb solid chunk.....thus IT HAS TO BE MELTED. The other ones if they are in room temp and not ''hard solid'' could be used as is.

joz
Hi Joz,

I"m totally good with the cacao or cocoa butter. I have some and have used it successfully in several recipes. I love white chocolate so this stuff is great to use

My confusion was with coconut oil versus coconut butter listed in cheesecake fillings. Have you ever used coconut butter by Artisana which is the whole meat from a coconut? It's so delicious.

I think my confusion was that some authors who list coconut butter aren't referring to Artisana's coconut butter. I think some like Flandria and Vanessa really meant unmelted coconut oil (which is just oil and no meat but solid at room temps)

Joyce

Raw Freedom Community > Sunny Raw Lifestyle > The Recipes > Desserts and Sweet Treats