Raw Freedom Community  

Advertisement

Go Back   Raw Freedom Community > Sunny Raw Lifestyle > Living 'In The Raw'

Living 'In The Raw' The place to discuss All-Things-Raw! From transitioning to the Raw Food Diet, to equipment, special techniques and more.

Old 02-10-2008, 03:19 PM
Hatchling

How do I make my buck stretch! I'm a poor student living an expensive lifestyle.

Hey guys. Im an art student that really doesn't have the kind of money to go out and by Medjools and Brazil Nuts everyday. I know you all have money saving tips up your sleeves ; ) and I was wondering if you'd be kind enough to share them with me.

What do you guys do in regards to more expensive items; Almond Butter, Dates, Nuts...

What to do in the Winter when the Farmer's Markets aren't happenin'...

How to make your food last longer without starving to death!?
Old 02-10-2008, 03:43 PM
Meadowlark

heres an extensive thread on the topic , link =

http://www.rawfoodtalk.com/showthrea...aw+on+a+budget

* bananas are always a biggy for me . and searching for good local buys on walnuts and almonds in bulk , or other type seeds to grind and put on salads or in smothies for protein / fat to burn on . then what ever green and whatever citrus fruit i can get at a good price thats fresh . then i drink water and feel im pretty much getting everything i need . besides supplimenting with brewers yeast for my B's . but check the thread link becauses there alot of good info .

welcome to site
Old 02-10-2008, 04:10 PM
Meadowlark

and if buy nuts in bulk always taste first before buying alot because you could get stuck with a bad / rancid batch .

and just a quick point on smoothies , you can get many seeds types (protien/fat/heavy fuel for energy) cheap like flax , sesame , sunflower .
so if you start off smoothie by grinding up like a third cup of them , then add water , some type greens , some type fruit youve a quick / simple / cheap / near complete staple to rely on .
Old 02-10-2008, 04:35 PM
Meadowlark

I really don't know how to save on food, but what about other items you usually purchase?

for instance, school books -- never get them at the campus bookstore unless your professor INSIST you get the newer edition, but even then, the older edition will do or see if the book is available online. most times, you can even sell the book back online for the same price your purchased it. most times, the books are available at the campus library for an hour or so loan.

shampoo, conditioner, deodorant -- i use baking soda, apple cider vinegar, coconut oil, bronner's & the crystal salt deodorant. All will last me a year, if not more, and under $50!

toilet paper, etc... -- I purchase mine at CVS.

goodluck with everything! others will probably have more suggestions for you.
Old 02-10-2008, 06:12 PM
White Bird

Hi Shadylady,

Is there a coffeehouse/shop where you could display your art work, and sell it for a 40/60 split? You, of course get the 60%.
I'm not good at saving money in the grocery/health food store because I generally by organic produce which is cost prohibitive these days. I just found a store in my area that Menonites' own and run, and they sell bulk raw nuts at a reduced price. How about a locally run food shelf? Check with your local market which day their new produce comes in, and what they toss in the trash bin. Maybe they'll let you go dumpster diving before the food actually gets tossed into the trash.
Remember this; the answers' NO unless you ask! Good luck

slŕinte,
misotrue
Old 02-10-2008, 10:40 PM
luckitri

I try to buy whatever is on sale. The items that you mention are not ones that I get to buy often if at all. I stocked up on sunflower seeds and pumpkin seeds last time they were on sale. I unfortunately do not buy organic. Today I got 5 huge sweet cucumbers on sale at my local supermarket for a dollar. They will run that special all week so I will probably be back quite a bit for those. I can get alot of mileage out of stuffing them with more filling things like chopped vegetables, sprouts and dressing. It ends up being quite cheap. Then I wrapped them in nori sheets which I already had. Sprouting things can be really cheap. My local food store had lentils on sale for 1/2 price of anyone else so I stocked up on those for sprouts. So little by little I am building a back-up food supply. I also bought rice cuz if TSHTF I might want to make some conjee which really stretches the rice out.

I've also been foraging for wild greens and citrus.
Old 02-10-2008, 11:45 PM
Hatchling

It depends where you live...If there are local farms see if they allow for gleaning(picking what the machines left behind), Start a garden in your community-you can recycle old plastic swimming pools they works great, container gardens, also working even part time at a co-op or health food store can off set your budget in a huge way. I would hit my school up for a piece of land and do a garden-you can get elective credit if you work it right.......Don't forget freeze freeze freeze any bounty you receive(unless you want to share with others also a good investment)
Old 02-11-2008, 02:20 PM
Western Meadowlark

Honestly

Honestly, once you have "the basics" in your cupboards, this is not that expensive. In fact, I spend much less than I would on SAD.

Each time you shop, pick up one more basic... Apple Cider Vinegar, dates (will last all year if you buy in bulk by the way -- do a search or ask for info), spices, coconut oil, sea salt, seaweed, frozen blueberries.

Buy bananas when they're brown-ripe and half-price! Take them home, peel them, put them in a ziplock and freeze. Perfect for smoothies!

I buy limes on sale in summer, then juice them. I freeze the juice in icecube trays, then put them into ziplocks. Same with lemons.

I buy nuts in bulk and haven't had them go rancid yet, but portland is generally cool.

MOST of the recipes that use more expensive nuts like those hawaiian bobbers will work fine if you substitute other nuts like cashews. Raw cashew bits and pieces are cheaper than halves.

Find the farmer's market, then buy fresh for one week at a time.

Plant some tomatoes?

You can make nice noodle dishes from winter veggies like squash and pumpkin. Soups too!

Just say "ˇSí, PUEDO!"

Note: This is coming from someone who fell off the wagon a couple months back... and it's always easier to tell other people "they" can do it... ::laughing::: But we gotta all stick together here!
Old 12-07-2010, 02:50 AM
Hatchling

Re your vegetables - go for a no waste method - eat your broccoli and cauli stalks as well as the head, they taste good and are perfectly safe to eat. Not sure why humans got into the habit of ditching it.

Buy 2nds fruit and veg instead of A grade...the ones that are individually wrapped in the clearance section - they are just usually riper than the rest of the stock, but def not gone bad. I bought 2nds Zucchinis today and they look perfect.
Old 03-16-2011, 06:25 AM
Hatchling

This blog really helped me when I began the raw foods diet. I felt overwhelmed by the cost as well: www.rawon10.blogspot.com
Old 03-20-2011, 12:19 AM
Meadowlark

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadyLady View Post
Hey guys. Im an art student that really doesn't have the kind of money to go out and by Medjools and Brazil Nuts everyday. I know you all have money saving tips up your sleeves ; ) and I was wondering if you'd be kind enough to share them with me.

What do you guys do in regards to more expensive items; Almond Butter, Dates, Nuts...

What to do in the Winter when the Farmer's Markets aren't happenin'...

How to make your food last longer without starving to death!?
Lots of great advice so far.
Seeds are generally more nutritious than nuts, and far cheaper.
Sprouting, for sure.
And see about finding a local organic co-op in your area. I kept looking and found a naturpath that does bi-monthly orders at wholesale prices. You do it all through email, then pick it up during the designated times on a certain day. The prices are ridiculous!

xo
Old 03-20-2011, 12:27 PM
Hatchling

I'm tight on money, too and I try to avoid buying nuts because of the cost, plus, you don't really know if they are actually RAW unless you know the grower. I'm big on flax, sunflower and sesame seeds-super cheap. I've heard about dehydrating to make flax crackers outside without a dehydrator, and I'm excited to try that (living in AZ). Can you get some planters and grow something on your window sill? Maybe there is a ranch market around you..we have one about 15 min away, and the produce is so cheap because it's VERY ripe, but such a great deal if you can get there a couple of times a week.
Old 05-24-2011, 06:46 PM
Hatchling

Hi all you budget minded un-cooks. I'm curious to know how the people who had issues like Shady Lady (from herself if she's still around) did in the long run. There were so many good suggestions; some of them quite creative.

Were you able to afford to stay raw? Did you get the nutrition you needed? Did you feel satisfied and not hungry?

I'm still exploring the how to's and can I's of the raw lifestyle, unemployed and unhappy (if not totally unwilling) to live on my fiance's salary -- though I do all I can to take care of him, house, shopping, etc. So, I'm appreciating all your ideas. TYVM !
Old 09-20-2011, 02:43 PM
Hatchling

me too

I can only afford organic apples, dulse and beans. So I add full spectrum enzymes to my green veggie juice. I want to grow my own veggies but so far no success
Old 10-01-2011, 06:59 AM
Hatchling

smart shopping

I save up money by practicing a little thing i call "smart shopping". That is always looking for the best deals available. Even some of the more expensive stuff goes on sale from time to time. Stock on dry things that don't go bad easily whenever you have the chance. Make affordable things the basis of your diet. We don't need to eat Brazil nuts every day. Invest in good kitchen appliances that will last you years and, more importantly, always prepare your own food, don't buy already made stuff.
That's what i started doing when i realized i was spending more than I could afford and everything worked out fine in the end!

Raw Freedom Community > Sunny Raw Lifestyle > Living 'In The Raw'