Raw Freedom Community  

Advertisement

Go Back   Raw Freedom Community > Sunny Raw Lifestyle > The Recipes > Desserts and Sweet Treats

Old 12-10-2007, 10:05 PM
Bad Mumble Jumble Dodo Bird

ah dahlin;;;;;;;;;;; Tweetie Chef Cupid ;;;;;;is stirring up and about ! Yah; we'll have to do this as a 'joint project' can't wait for you to try something other than chocky, mushies and eye kandy!

good mornin to you; but! I'm turning into pumpking so I m running to zzzzzzzzzzzzz 's lala land; good night xoxo xo

Jozzzzzzzie
Old 12-11-2007, 11:54 AM
Nuthatch

Oh dear I can't believe this recipe has been bumped up again! It is my dream fantasy recipe to try. So far I've not tried any fancy desserts and tend to stick with smoothies, salads, and sauces. I am simply dying to try this though. Something about the jicama-I just think that is an interesting ingredient plus I adore jicama! I wish I was more ambitious I guess.
Old 12-11-2007, 11:57 AM

gigi; join us for a group bake when Aisah is doing it? we'll all choose to do this on a specified day and post experiences, questions, and then pictures and of course eat it. Joz
Old 12-11-2007, 11:57 AM
Nuthatch

Do you think I could use honey or maple syrup instead of agave? Do you think I could dehydrate the almond in a low oven? I don't have a proper dehydrator.

Hmmm. I wonder if I can even get jicama...
Old 12-11-2007, 12:06 PM

If you don't have a dehydrator; just grind the almonds and use them

and I would say use maple syrup as honey will give it a completely different flavor.

Jicama; almost every store now carries it. Hope you can do this with us; we will post a day way ahead of time so everyone that wants to join has time to get ingredients and do what they need to and enjoy the cake.

Joz
Old 12-11-2007, 02:47 PM
Mute Swan

YAY!!!
I can't wait, I have been wanting to make this again lately
Actually, I don't know if I CAN wait, how soon are you thinking Joz?
Old 12-11-2007, 04:41 PM
Nuthatch

OK I will see if I can get the jicama. I live in the STICKS! I live in the land of tater tot casseroles and hamburger helper! Seriously.

I can't recall seeing jicama at our grocery but I will look again. If they have it or can get it I'd like to join the group cake-bake.

I can only cook on weekends though. Dunno if that makes a difference.

What if you soaked the almonds and then let them just air dry?

I ask because unsoaked almonds sometimes provoke indigestion for me.
Old 12-11-2007, 04:44 PM
Rawbie

Hey gigi!

Do you want me to mail you some jicama? If so, please send me a PM.

Wayne
Old 12-11-2007, 05:06 PM

Asian Pear could be substituted for the Jicama: however, it's very 'juicy' so when you actually grate it let it drain and then it's also sweet so you have to play with the sweetness.

That's why the Jicama was so 'ideal' Hope you find some; otherwise as Rawbie said we'll have to mail you some ! LOL Joz
Old 12-11-2007, 05:21 PM
Nuthatch

Oh you guys are so sweet!!!! Thanks!!!

I also live in the way-frozen north, about 2 hours from Fargo ND. So I am afraid the poor little jicama would freeze its skivvies off.

Lemme take another gander at the store. Maybe they can special order it!

When are you guys thinking this will happen?
Old 12-11-2007, 05:42 PM

As soon as Aisah is finished with her lectures/projects! She said January so that should give us time -- especially with Christmas/Winter or whatever they call it now school break. It sounds as though it will be easier for many to do it later.

Of course this would be a great cake for Christmas ! Joz
Old 12-11-2007, 05:43 PM
Rawbie

Hey gigi!

Please know that jicama (root vegetable) is tolerant of cold temperature. I can always wrapped two or three jicamas well with paper towels, zip lock bags and newspapers if you are really concerned. Just say the word.

Wayne
Old 12-11-2007, 06:07 PM

Remember New England get it's own share of winter ! how I miss the snow ! But Carmie will send me some ! Joz
Old 12-11-2007, 07:44 PM
Nuthatch

Quote:
Please know that jicama (root vegetable) is tolerant of cold temperature. I can always wrapped two or three jicamas well with paper towels, zip lock bags and newspapers if you are really concerned. Just say the word.
Wow really? Even if it's something like zero degrees? That's pretty cool.

I'll let you know. Could Paypal you some $$$ if you do that sorta thing.

Gigi
Old 12-11-2007, 08:37 PM
Mute Swan

Rawbie, I don't know where you live but if I am reading this correctly North Dakota? is not that far from me, would it be closer if I shipped them? If so, I would love to do this co-operatively for you (I will buy jicama's, if you can cover shipping ) There is a pretty big Hispanic community here so there are ALWAYS jicama to be found

Raw Freedom Community > Sunny Raw Lifestyle > The Recipes > Desserts and Sweet Treats