Raw Freedom Community  

Advertisement

Go Back   Raw Freedom Community > Sunny Raw Lifestyle > The Recipes > Desserts and Sweet Treats

Old 03-10-2008, 07:57 PM
Hummingbird - Caretaker

Alrighty! I'm munching on mine as I'm typing this. Man, is it ever yummy! Don goes to me: "This is the best cake yet!" "Hum, better find a new line, Don, as this one is starting to get old!", I replied. But what can I say? They indeed seem to be getting better and better! lol

Except for a few minor changes, I pretty much followed Mishka's suggestion and replaced the orange juice and zest called for in my Delight-full Chocolate Orange Cake with berries.

Delight-full Chocolate Blueberry Cake

Makes one 7 " cake

Crust Variation 1
3/4 cup well packed soft dates, chopped
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1 tablespoon vanilla
Pinch salt
1 1/2 cup ground almonds or loosely packed left-over pulp from making milk
1/2 cup dried coconut
1/2 cup cashews

Place dates in food processor and process until a smooth paste forms. You may need to add a little water.

Then add the rest of the ingredients and mix until smooth.

If using ground almonds instead of wet almond pulp, you might want to add a couple of teaspoons of water for moisture.

Crust Variation 2
1/2 cup Brazil nuts
1/4 cup almonds
1/4 cup shredded coconut
1 tablespoon cacao or carob powder
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Pinch of salt
2 medjhool dates
1 teaspoon agave nectar
1-2 tablespoons cacao nibs (optional)

Process first 7 ingredients in a food processor until fine. Add agave and cacao nibs (if using) and process some more until the mixture just starts to stick together.

Blueberry & White Chocolate Filling
1 1/4 cups fresh or frozen blueberries (thawed)*
1 1/4 cups cashews, soaked
1/4 cup agave nectar or honey (I used both)
2 tbs vanilla extract
1 tbs lemon juice
1/8 tsp salt
1 tbs + 1 tsp lecithin powder
1/4 cup + 1 tbs coconut oil, melted

*If using frozen blueberries, make sure they are well thawed and at room temperature to avoid the honey turning rock hard during blending.

Blend all ingredients except lecithin and coconut oil until smooth. Add these and blend some more until well mixed. Set mixture aside.

Chocolate Filling
1/2 cup almond milk
1/4 cup agave nectar
3 tbs cacao powder
2 tbs vanilla
Pinch of salt
2 tsp lecithin powder*
1/4 cup cacao butter, melted

*Lecithin is derived from soybeans and acts as an emulsifier. Look for lecithin (preferably non-GMO), in granules or powdered form, at your local HFS. If using granules, make sure to grind them up in a high speed blender of coffee grinder.

Blend all ingredients except lecithin and cacao butter until smooth. Add these and blend some more until well mixed. Set aside.

To Assemble
Press your crust of choice into the bottom of the springform pan.

Pour half of the Blueberry White Chocolate mixture on top and set in the freezer for about an hour.

Top with the Chocolate layer and return to the freezer. (Actually, for mine, I used only half so that the cake had 4 layers.)

Once set, pour the rest of the Blueberry Chocolate layer and return to freezer until ready to serve.

If desired, decorate with blueberries.

Close your eyes and enjoy in good company!

Carmella's Notes:
~ The fillings for this cake can be prepared quickly, but you do want to start several hours ahead to allow enough time for the different layers to set during the assembly process. (I began around noonish in order to serve it that evening.)

~ Leave the mixtures in the fridge or at room temperature during the assembly process so that these can pour easily and evenly. If the fillings have set too much, simply melt down over a hot water bath while stirring.

~ In order to obtain distinctive layers, it's key to let each set in the freezer before applying the next layer.

~ To help keep the layers 'clean' while cutting the cake, put your knife under running hot water then dry it with a towel. Proceed to make a cut. Repeat this step between each cut. (Yah, yah, I know it sounds like a lot of work, but hey, remember that we taste with our eyes first!)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Delight-fullChocBlueCake2W.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	20.8 KB
ID:	1952  Click image for larger version

Name:	Delight-fullChocBlueCake6W.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	17.9 KB
ID:	1953  Click image for larger version

Name:	Delight-fullChocBlueCake3W.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	16.5 KB
ID:	1954  

Raw Freedom Community > Sunny Raw Lifestyle > The Recipes > Desserts and Sweet Treats