Raw Freedom Community  

Advertisement

Go Back   Raw Freedom Community > Sunny Raw Lifestyle > The Recipes > Entrees and Main Courses - General

Old 04-06-2008, 08:23 AM
Rawbie

Pasta, Pasta, Pasta, Pasta!

Pasta, Pasta, Pasta, Pasta!

Recipes by Cherie Soria, author of Raw Revolution Diet: Feast, Lose Weight, Gain Energy, Feel Younger!, photo by Dan Ladermann and food styling by Felix Schoner.

Special Equipment: Food processor, spiral slicer or hand shredder, chef's knife, and dehydrator (for optional parmesan)

Plant zucchini, and you can feed the whole neighborhood! Everyone loves pasta—invite friends over to your house and have a pasta party with a choice of four different delicious sauces! Raw zucchini makes beautiful "al dente" pasta using a spiral slicer or hand shredder. There are a few different kinds of spiral slicers on the market—Living Light Marketplace carries several varieties, as well as other essential raw food kitchen equipment including the Microplane, Cuisinart food processor, Excalibur dehydrator, and quality Mac, Henckels, and Kyocera knives. Check our online store at www.RawFoodChef.com

Zucchini Pasta
1 - 2 medium zucchini squash per person, transformed into pasta using a spiral slicer (or hand shredder)

Marinara Sauce with Sun-Dried Olives and Capers
Yield 1 1/2 cups sauce (Serves 3)

1 1/2 cups seeded and chopped Roma tomatoes
3 tablespoons sun-dried tomato powder
1 tablespoon finely minced onion
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 tablespoon flax oil
1/2 teaspoon pureed garlic (see note)
1 tablespoons minced fresh basil leaves
2 teaspoons minced fresh oregano
1/4 teaspoon Himalayan crystal salt, or salt to taste
Pinch of pepper
1/4 cup sun-dried olives, pitted and slivered
1/4 cup capers
3 tablespoons Pine Nut Parmesan, optional garnish (see recipe, below)
6 sweet cherry tomatoes, quartered

For the marinara sauce: Place the tomatoes in a colander to allow any remaining liquid to drain. (Drink the juice or add it to another recipe.) When the tomatoes are thoroughly drained, put them in a food processor outfitted with the “S” blade, and pulse to chop. Do not over-process; the mixture should be slightly chunky. Add the sun-dried tomato powder, onion, oil, garlic, basil, oregano, salt, and pepper, and pulse to mix. Stir in the capers and sun-dried tomatoes. To serve, gently toss the pasta with the sauce and serve immediately. Garnish with optional Pine Nut Parmesan and cherry tomatoes. Store the leftover sauce in a sealed glass jar in the refrigerator for up to one week.

NOTE: A Microplaner is the perfect tool to puree garlic

Basil Arugula Pesto
Yield: 1 cup sauce (Serves 4)

1 1/2 cups fresh basil leaves, tightly packed
1/2 cup arugula leaves, tightly packed
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 tablespoons flax oil
2 teaspoons light miso
2 cloves (1 teaspoon, pureed) garlic
1/2 teaspoon nutritional yeast
1/2 teaspoon Himalayan crystal salt, or salt to taste
1/4 cup pine nuts

For the Pesto Sauce: Combine all of the ingredients, except the pine nuts, in a food processor outfitted with the “S” blade, and pulse a few times to begin chopping the basil and arugula leaves. Add the pine nuts and process until the desired consistency is achieved. Do not over process the mixture, or the oil from the pine nuts will separate, and the mixture will become too oily. The texture should be creamy with tiny specks of pine nuts throughout. To serve, garnish with optional Pine Nut Parmesan.
Store the pesto in a sealed glass jar in the refrigerator for up to four days, or freeze for up to three months.

Creamy Alfredo with Mushrooms and Asparagus
Yield: 1 1/3 cup (Serves 4)

6-8 crimini mushrooms, sliced
1 teaspoon tamari
1 teaspoon olive oil
1/2 cup pine nuts, soaked 2 hours, rinsed, and drained
1/2 cup cashews, soaked 2 hours, rinsed, and drained
1/2 cup water
2 tablespoons lemon juice
2 teaspoon agave nectar
2 teaspoon nutritional yeast
2 teaspoon light miso
1 teaspoon onion powder
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon Himalayan crystal salt, or salt to taste
Pinch of nutmeg
Pinch of white pepper
4 stalks asparagus, sliced on the diagonal into 1/2-inch pieces

For the Alfredo Sauce: Toss the mushrooms, tamari, and olive oil together and set aside. Put the pine nuts, cashews, water, lemon juice, and agave in a blender and blend until creamy. If the mixture is too thick for the blender, add a very small amount of water (by the teaspoon – just enough to blend). When the mixture is smooth and creamy, add the nutritional yeast, miso, onion powder, garlic powder, salt, nutmeg, and pepper and blend briefly to mix. To serve, squeeze out the excess liquid from the mushrooms. Toss the mushrooms, asparagus, and pasta together well. Garnish with optional Pine Nut Parmesan. Store any leftover sauce in a sealed glass jar in the refrigerator for up to one week.

Pasta Antipasti
(Serves 3-4)

4 medium zucchini squash, transformed into pasta using a spiral slicer.
1 cup tomatoes, diced
1/2 cup crimini mushrooms, thinly sliced
1/4 cup sun-dried olives, pitted and slivered
1/4 cup red bell pepper, finely julienned
1/4 cup cauliflower, cut into very small florets
1/4 cup carrots, finely julienned
2 tablespoons cup celery, diced
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 tablespoons sun-dried tomato powder
2 tablespoons oil packed sun-dried tomatoes, slivered
1 tablespoon onions, finely julienned
1 tablespoon capers
1 tablespoon fresh basil leaves, cut into fine threads
1 teaspoon lemon juice
2 cloves (1 teaspoon) pureed garlic
1 teaspoon fresh oregano, finely minced
1 teaspoon parsley, minced
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1/4 teaspoon Himalayan crystal salt, or salt to taste
1/2 cup Pine Nut Parmesan Cream, optional (see recipe, below)

Put pasta and other ingredients for the antipasti, except Pine Nut Parmesan, in a large bowl and toss thoroughly. Serve chilled, sprinkled generously with the optional Pine Nut Parmesan. Keeps for 2 days in a sealed container in the refrigerator.

Pine Nut Cream or Pine Nut Parmesan
Yield: 3 cups cream or 1 1/2 cups parmesan

2 cups pine nuts, soaked in water for 4 hours
1 cup or more water
1 teaspoon Himalayan crystal salt
1/4 teaspoon probiotic powder

Blend all ingredients in a high-powered blender, adding more water, if necessary, to achieve a smooth, creamy texture. For Pine Nut Cream, use as is; for Pine Nut Parmesan, spread 2 cups of the batter evenly on a dehydrator tray lined with a non-stick sheet and dehydrate at 105 degrees for 12 -18 hours, or until crisp. Scrape the dried batter off the sheet and refrigerate in a glass jar for up to 1 month. Use as a topping for pastas and salads.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	pastas.jpg
Views:	239
Size:	17.0 KB
ID:	2056  
Old 04-06-2008, 09:17 AM
Bad Mumble Jumble Dodo Bird

Does that sound good! Four kinds of sauces! That's my style! I'm planning this for one of my Private Dinners ! ups here I go planning dinners already !!!

Jozzzzzzzzie
Old 04-06-2008, 10:42 AM
Hummingbird - Caretaker

Oh Rawbie!!! Come here you so that I can give you a big great hug!

Pasta is just the thing for me right now so this couldn't be more timely! Thanks!
Old 05-12-2008, 07:00 PM
Hummingbird - Caretaker

As Don picked up some lovely fresh asparagus at the local market today, I jumped on the opportunity to make pasta with the above Creamy Alfredo with Mushrooms and Asparagus.I was planning on using some pine nut parmesan I had sitting in the freezer, but completely forgot about it. No matter, this was absolutely delicious anyways! Yum! Yum! Yum!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	AsparagusPasta1W.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	19.0 KB
ID:	2273  
Old 05-12-2008, 09:16 PM
luckitri

ooooooohhhhhhh . . . . this looks so good too!

gotta get the equipment! gotta get the equipment! gotta get the equipment
Old 05-12-2008, 09:47 PM
Hummingbird - Caretaker

Luckitri,

I often use a good old veggie peeler to make linguine. Just keep peeling the flesh until you get to the core (I throw mine in soup. Perfecto!) I like how the noodles end up really thin and absorb the cream sauce. Yummo!

Raw Freedom Community > Sunny Raw Lifestyle > The Recipes > Entrees and Main Courses - General