Raw Freedom Community  

Advertisement

Go Back   Raw Freedom Community > Sunny Raw Lifestyle > Raw Food Preparation - General

Raw Food Preparation - General Share and learn about raw food prep, ingredients, recipes and tips.

Old 04-17-2008, 02:17 AM
Swallow

Need a recipe for raw Key Lime Pie/Cheesecake

Does this even exist?
I know lots of you are expert recipe makers so put your thinkin caps on!
Old 04-17-2008, 04:12 AM
Chickadee

Anna's Key Lime Pie recipe from The Raw Table is great.

I suggest though that you don't pour all the lime juice in the blender at once... maybe half that the recipe suggests... taste, and adjust to your liking.

I've made it with both key limes and regular limes and I like regular limes best.... when I used key limes I poured the stated amount in the blender all at once and boy.... was it tart. I could not eat it so what I did was divide cut up chunks of it and add it to smoothies.

But when you get the mixture just right... ME OH MY... my favorite pie recipe!!!

http://www.therawtable.com/recipecoll/limepie.htm

Key Lime Pie
This is one of my husband's favorites. Tart and sweet at the same time, it really hits the spot!
Makes one 9" pie, serving 8-10
Crust Ingredients:
3 C fine almond flour*
4-5 fresh medjool dates
2 T coconut oil
1/2 tsp. sea salt

Filling Ingredients:
2 small ripe avocados
1 banana
1 1/4 C juice from key limes (regular limes will also work fine)
1/2 C mango chunks
1/2 C agave nectar
1/3 C coconut cream concentrate or oil
1 1/2 tsp. vanilla

Preparation:
To make crust, place almond flour, dates, coconut oil, and sea salt in a food processor and blend until it balls up. Firmly press crust into pie pan and set aside.

To make the filling, process all filling ingredients in a high-powered blender such as a VitaMix until smooth and fluid. Pour into pie shell and freeze about 4-6 hours or longer. I like to serve this topped with a little shredded coconut and mango chunks or slices.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

*Almond Flour is made when you grind almonds for making almond milk. Almond pulp is what is left over. After the grinding process, strain it as much as possible and dry it in your dehydrator. It is kept best in the freezer in an air-tight bag or container.

If you do not wish to go through this process, you are certainly welcome to just use ground raw almonds, but you won't get the same fine texture on the crust.
Old 04-17-2008, 04:13 AM
Chickadee

My notes:

- I like regualar limes best.
- I use dried apricots, almonds, and some dried coconut flakes for my crust
- I use honey instead of agave.
Old 04-17-2008, 11:53 AM
Hummingbird - Caretaker

Quote:
Does this even exist?
You betcha! In fact, I have some left in my freezer right now. I've only made Cafe Gratitude's version and it is to live for!

The filling is slightly different than the recipe posted above (I agree, btw, that 1 1/4 cups lime juice sounds like way too much!)

Here you go:

Key Lime Filling:
3/4 cup lime juice
2 medium avos
1/2 cup + 1 tbs agave
1/4 cup + 2 tbs coconut milk (I usually blend 1 part dry coconut to 3 part water in the high speed blender)
1/2 tsp vanilla
1/8 tsp salt
2 tbs lecithin powder
1/2 cup + 1 tbs coconut butter, melted

Blend all ingredients except coconut oil and lecithin until smooth. Add these and blend some more. Pour into crust of choice. Set in the fridge or freezer.

I've posted a few pics of the ones I made here and here.
Old 04-17-2008, 06:17 PM
Swallow

thanks so much guys- also I'm only making this for myself, so how long will it keep in the freezer?
Old 04-17-2008, 07:20 PM
Hummingbird - Caretaker

If you wrap the pie plate well in a plastic bag, I'd say quite a while (weeks?)

You could also halve the recipe and make it in small pie plates.
Old 04-17-2008, 08:17 PM
Swallow

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonstone View Post
Anna's Key Lime Pie recipe from The Raw Table is great.

I suggest though that you don't pour all the lime juice in the blender at once... maybe half that the recipe suggests... taste, and adjust to your liking.

I've made it with both key limes and regular limes and I like regular limes best.... when I used key limes I poured the stated amount in the blender all at once and boy.... was it tart. I could not eat it so what I did was divide cut up chunks of it and add it to smoothies.

But when you get the mixture just right... ME OH MY... my favorite pie recipe!!!

http://www.therawtable.com/recipecoll/limepie.htm

Key Lime Pie
This is one of my husband's favorites. Tart and sweet at the same time, it really hits the spot!
Makes one 9" pie, serving 8-10
Crust Ingredients:
3 C fine almond flour*
4-5 fresh medjool dates
2 T coconut oil
1/2 tsp. sea salt

Filling Ingredients:
2 small ripe avocados
1 banana
1 1/4 C juice from key limes (regular limes will also work fine)
1/2 C mango chunks
1/2 C agave nectar
1/3 C coconut cream concentrate or oil
1 1/2 tsp. vanilla

Preparation:
To make crust, place almond flour, dates, coconut oil, and sea salt in a food processor and blend until it balls up. Firmly press crust into pie pan and set aside.

To make the filling, process all filling ingredients in a high-powered blender such as a VitaMix until smooth and fluid. Pour into pie shell and freeze about 4-6 hours or longer. I like to serve this topped with a little shredded coconut and mango chunks or slices.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

*Almond Flour is made when you grind almonds for making almond milk. Almond pulp is what is left over. After the grinding process, strain it as much as possible and dry it in your dehydrator. It is kept best in the freezer in an air-tight bag or container.

If you do not wish to go through this process, you are certainly welcome to just use ground raw almonds, but you won't get the same fine texture on the crust.
I was just thinking about this recipe...I made it last year and somehow had some left over and we just called it pudding...my sister and her loved it. My sister just asked me to make it for her birthday next month when we doing our excercise drills outside... It's a great recipe (did my own version of a crust)
Old 07-12-2011, 07:09 PM
Hatchling

How do I get my desserts to keep their shape?

Hi everyone! I am seeking a little advice on raw desserts. I have been making them for quite some time, and I now work at a vegan restaurant where I have been given the opportunity to make all kinds of raw desserts with free reign! I generally use springform pans, even for "pie" recipes. One problem I have had with a few different desserts is that they are not really staying firm and holding their shape in the fridge, but becoming quite soft and squishy after a while. I do not want to have to keep putting them in the freezer. I have been using a fair amount of coconut oil but haven't added lecithin or psyllium to anything yet since we don't have any in stock. Is that where my problem lies? I am not sure if these two options are meant to thicken and emulsify or if they are actually what really helps the dessert to be firm and keep its shape. Any tips or insights would be wonderful!
Thanks a bunch!
Love, Rebecca

Raw Freedom Community > Sunny Raw Lifestyle > Raw Food Preparation - General