Raw Freedom Community  

Advertisement

Go Back   Raw Freedom Community > Sunny Raw Lifestyle > The Recipes > Entrees and Main Courses - General

Old 06-07-2007, 07:08 PM
Hummingbird - Caretaker

Mushroom Stroganoff

We made this recipe again for supper yesterday and it was deeee-lish! I have subbed the Porcinis with fresh criminis or Portobellos and it is totally awesome anyways!

A must-try for all mushroom lovers! (You there aisah? *stretching her neck and scanning the crowd* )

Click here to watch a video of Cherie making this recipe.

Mushroom Stroganoff
By Cherie Soria
Published in the December Living Light International Newsletter

1/2 cup dried porcini mushrooms
1 1/4 cups water

Marinated Crimini Mushrooms
3 cups crimini mushrooms, sliced 1/8" thick
2 tablespoons red onions, minced
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 1/2 teaspoon wheat-free tamari
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder

Zucchini Noodles
12-16 medium zucchini, peeled (about 2 lbs)
1 teaspoon crystal salt

Cream Sauce
1 cup reserved mushroom soaking water
1 cup almonds, soaked for 8 to 12 hours
2 cups reserved zucchini centers, chopped (see direction #3, below)
2 tablespoons dark miso
1 1/2 teaspoons shiitake powder
1 teaspoon nutritional yeast
1/2 teaspoon paprika
1/2 teaspoon crystal salt
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
1/8 teaspoon pepper, ground Fresh ground black pepper

1. Soak the porcini mushrooms in water until soft, about 1 hour.

2. In a shallow bowl, whisk together the onions, olive oil, tamari, and garlic powder. Add the crimini mushrooms and toss until all the mushrooms are thoroughly coated. Set the mushrooms aside to marinade for 30 minutes.

3. Using a vegetable peeler, shave the peeled zucchini lengthwise, rotating the zucchini a few degrees each time, to form thin planks resembling wide egg noodles. Once you reach the seedy center of the zucchini, stop and reserve the core for the sauce. Sprinkle the “noodles” with salt. Gently toss and set aside for 30 minutes.

4. Drain the water from the porcini mushrooms and rough chop. Retain the mushroom soaking water to use in the recipe.

5. Put the almonds and the mushroom-soaking water in a blender and blend to form a smooth thick cream. Pour the cream into a mesh bag and gently squeeze the mixture to remove the pulp. Only the strained cream will be used. Refrigerate or freeze the pulp for another recipe.

6. Drain the liquid from the crimini mushrooms and put 1/3 of the mushrooms into a high powered blender, along with half the cream, all the soaked drained porcini mushrooms, the leftover chopped zucchini centers, the dark miso, shiitake powder, nutritional yeast, paprika, salt, garlic powder, and pepper, and blend until smooth and creamy. Add the remaining almond cream and pulse to blend. Do not continue blending the gravy once the remaining cream has been mixed in, or it will become frothy. It should just be mixed in.

7. Gently squeeze the zucchini to remove the salt and excess moisture. Towel dry the softened zucchini noodles so they are dry (otherwise the moisture will thin the sauce and it will not cling to the noodles). Toss the noodles into the cream sauce.

8. Put the mixture in a shallow rectangular glass baking dish approximately 8 1/2-inch by 13-inch (lasagna-type), top with remaining marinated crimini mushrooms, and place it in the dehydrator set at 135 degrees for 1 hour.

9. Serve warm from the dehydrator, topped with a sprinkle of fresh ground pepper.

Carmella's Notes:
For the two of us, I usually cut the recipe in half as I find that it doesn't keep so well. I think it's to do with the mushies as I've noticed the same thing happen whenever I make a mushroom-based gravy.

I don't know what size are her med. zucchinis but man, 12-16 sounds like a LOT! Last time I used 3 of what I consider medium-sized zucchs. Anyways, you can eye out the 'noodling' until what feels like the right amount to you.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	MushroomStroganoffW.jpg
Views:	275
Size:	27.1 KB
ID:	149  

Last edited by Carmella : 06-07-2007 at 07:10 PM.
Old 06-07-2007, 08:44 PM
Sweety Tweety Bird

You bet Carmella!! This is the first post I clicked on the moment I saw... Mushroom....!! Wow-wee!! That does look good!! I sure will have this in my must-try list!! Thank you for sharing and hee hee thank you for remembering this Mushroom-lover....

ps : I love many other things too you know... chocolates, mushrooms, chocolates, and then not forgetting mushrooms hmmmm so many choices
Old 06-08-2007, 11:08 AM
Hummingbird - Caretaker

He He...

Well, that doesn't sound half bad!

Fairygirl just sent me her recipes for the ebook and a couple are of the choc variety! Yay! So hold on to your hat, more yummy recipe ideas coming your way...

Last edited by Carmella : 06-08-2007 at 11:16 AM.
Old 06-08-2007, 07:02 PM
Sweety Tweety Bird

..... *eagerly awaits for ebook*.....
Old 06-17-2007, 03:49 AM
Sweety Tweety Bird

I was going to do this but I could not find crimini nor porcini. Know of any subs? Also I am not sure if I have seen shitake powder but I believe I can make this by grinding into powder those dried shitake?? Can this be omitted? Or any substitution?

Yesterday (yes this mushie-chockie lover was craving for mushrooms badly) I did a mushroom sauce kind of thing following close to the Mushroom Soup however with addition of dried shitake. I had it with pasta on bed of marinated greens (and yup with portabella mushrooms ). It tasted good while I was having it, but I got bad tummy after which not sure if its the dried shitake that did it or was it from mushrooms overload

So now I kind of 'fear' shitake for I 'feel' it could be the reason (?)
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	mushroom pasta.jpg
Views:	179
Size:	75.4 KB
ID:	164  
Old 06-17-2007, 04:10 AM
Sweety Tweety Bird

oops sorry, I just read your first post again with regards to your subs... hmmm should I lay off mushrooms for awhile
Old 06-17-2007, 09:42 AM
Bad Mumble Jumble Dodo Bird

You can check out Porcini here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Porcini

I checked in Market of Choice on Friday they sell for $49.95 per pound !!!! Yup! I checked with the produce person they said it was not a mistake that was the correct price !.

We found some in the woods, dehydrating them for winter use! Yum. You can substitute shitake, or portabellos , even the white button ones. The flavor will be just little different.
musshy lover 2 but I'm in musshy heaven ! Joz
Old 06-17-2007, 10:56 AM
Sweety Tweety Bird

Thank you for sharing wyjoz!! Ah its nice to have another mushie lover in the room

Think this recipe is best substituted with portabella mushrooms!! More of a dense taste/feel to it??!!
Old 06-17-2007, 07:12 PM
Hummingbird - Caretaker

Hey there aisah,

You know what? A similar thing happened to Don and I last time we used dried shitake mushies so we're staying away from them!

As for subbing, we have never used Porcini or dried mushies really, only Portobellos and criminis. As Joz was pointing out, white ones would work too or perhaps you could sub with other mushrooms available? What varieties do you usually get in the Land of Smiles?
Old 06-18-2007, 12:30 AM
Sweety Tweety Bird

Hi Carmella,

Hmmm okay I shall stay away from those dried shitake for now.... just the thought of consuming it makes me queasy

Okay over here there are plenty of mushrooms available - mainly button, porta, oyster, straw. Also available are Japanese kinds - enoki, nameko, shimeji plus cinnamon cap, clamshell mushroom and a few other local ones and my favorite lately - wood ear mushroom

I just found out that Porta is actually an overgrown of Cremini!! hmmm what do you know

Okay guys, thank you for the feedback. I just have to make sure that all the mushrooms are edible raw - which I am sure they are.
Old 03-12-2008, 02:48 PM
Hummingbird - Caretaker

I made this again recently. As I didn't have soaked almonds, I used a few cashews instead. It worked beautifully. Another yummer!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	MushieStroganoff2W.jpg
Views:	183
Size:	53.0 KB
ID:	1969  
Old 03-02-2010, 06:57 AM
Swallow

Mushroom Strogoff

Can you omit the shiitake powder in the recipe for Mushroom Stroganoff? Or is there a substititute?
Old 03-02-2010, 08:28 AM
Hummingbird - Caretaker

Linda!!! Hi girl!

I never use it when I make it. I also usually skip the porcini mushies... almost like it better that way.
Old 03-02-2010, 09:02 AM
Bad Mumble Jumble Dodo Bird

Quote:
Originally Posted by lhewitt5 View Post
Can you omit the shiitake powder in the recipe for Mushroom Stroganoff? Or is there a substititute?
Linda: I don't have the powder..... I just used fresh shiitakes;

and of course I hunt for PORCINI so we always have some dry ones... they add more flavor....

If you really want to try/experience the shitake powder just crush/grind a dry shiitake...that's it.

Joz
Old 03-02-2010, 11:44 AM
Swallow

Mushroom Stroganoff

Hey!! Thank you Ladies!!

Hubby bought a big container of mushrooms @ costco's, didn't I mention Cami that we were NOT to buy in bulk Hehehe..Don't let the man go shopping with out you

Raw Freedom Community > Sunny Raw Lifestyle > The Recipes > Entrees and Main Courses - General