Raw Freedom Community  

Advertisement

Go Back   Raw Freedom Community > Sunny Raw Lifestyle > Living 'In The Raw'

Living 'In The Raw' The place to discuss All-Things-Raw! From transitioning to the Raw Food Diet, to equipment, special techniques and more.

Old 07-27-2009, 04:10 PM
Meadowlark

Wow, Jozzie!!! Lots going on soon up there!!! I was just talking to someone about Tonya Zavasta yesterday (a student/friend/really lovely Russian woman!). She has been her biggest inspiration. Apparently Tonya contacted some people here about organizing something in Jacksonville, FL, and they weren't able to work it out. My friend was sooooo disappointed! Me too! I had no idea!

So, enjoy her extra for us! Doug Graham too. Gotta love it!

Old 07-31-2009, 11:15 AM
Bad Mumble Jumble Dodo Bird

Wohoa ! last day of July ...... WHAT A WAY TO END IT .......

I just finished a Photo Shoot by our Newspaper crew at my house. They are doing a story about raw roods............well they came to our last Pot Luck not knowing it was JUST ICE CRAM POT LUCK. They decided to do Ice Cream on the cover....to go with their story.........Needed a 'good' picture.

We had fun................wow ! my first official photo shoot! we did several dish presentations............took bunches of pictures and they'll choose which one comes out to their liking. ***Made them eat two dishes...I had the third..... and another one is back in the freezer!

Wow! so I'm having my third 'magazine' with my name/story in it.........

I'll see if it will be on the newspapers site for people to check on.
Old 07-31-2009, 03:19 PM
Toucan - Caretaker

Well done, Jozzie!
Now, I want to see those pictures... Pretty please?
Old 08-11-2009, 02:30 PM

SOOOOOOOOOOO we did August Raw Luau unPig Road Pot Luck ! we did Hawaii decorations etc..... the 'salmon' pate was delicious:

http://www.rawfoodchef.com/newslette...ly.html#recipe

and I had fun shaping it into a un Pig head...........Everyone that looked at it 'laughed' It was cute!

Also did two Pineapple UpSide down cakes.............delicious!
see picture for idea: http://smittenkitchen.com/2007/05/the-sunny-day-yawn/
Crust
1 c nuts of choice ground very fine
1 c dry coconut ground fine
6 dates soaked
pinch salt
1 drizzle Agave so this gets 'moist'

Pineapple
Slice pineapple into to bigger and smaller slices
mix with 3 T Date Sugar
pinch salt
juice of 1/2 lemon.........mix dehydrate for 3-4 hrs.
Arrange slices in bottom of spring form..........cover it with plastic wrap.
Top with the crust.....................this was delicious.

Last edited by wyjoz : 08-12-2009 at 02:51 PM.
Old 08-11-2009, 02:43 PM
Meadowlark

Pictures?!
Old 08-11-2009, 03:23 PM

tried 3 times to upload or download and it won't !!!!!!!!!! jozzzzzzzzzzi ggggggggrrrrrrrrrawllllllllls ...hoping Mosaica will post for me????
Old 08-12-2009, 10:12 AM
Toucan - Caretaker

Here, my dear...

All that you need is a Photobucket...
Old 08-12-2009, 02:43 PM

ThanKiss my dear dodo Mosaica! when I get time I'll ...........

and ya all check out my unPig ! this was so fun....the greens and the Luau Lays and Hawaiian theme! Joz
Old 08-12-2009, 06:12 PM
Toucan - Caretaker

Dodo Mosaica??? Why-why-why???

Yeah, that piggie face is so funny, I like it!
Old 08-18-2009, 02:38 PM

Jozzzzzzzi is beyond herself................12:04 I got a call from a friend.................and

she said; It's LUNCH TIME ! I said yes. it's that time !

she said: ARE YOU READY? I said; I'm going to get some stuff ~n~ stuff..and eat.

she said: WOULD YOU LIKE TO HAVE SOME CULINARY CAFE FOOD FROM FORT BRAGG? I'M JUST WAITING.............SHE SAID. HER DAUGHTER HAD TO GO THERE....SO WITH ME IN MIND SHE PLACED AN ORDER FOR BOTH OF US..........AND SHE'S GETTING IT NOW........SOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!

I said: come on over ! SHE SAID SHE WAS PRESUMPTIOUS NOT KNOWING IF I WOULD GO 1/2 WITH HER, BUT SHE WAS WILLING TO SHARE..................WOW! WHAT A SURPRISE !

what a TREAT! We split everything in half;

Not Tuna Sandwhich - delicious Kamut Bread!
Pizza - delicious
Enchiladas - delicious
Mushroom Soup - raw mushrooms eek, friend took it home
Kamut Walnut Scone _ with butter & jam
Pumpkin Pie Cup - out of this world
Chocolate Pecan Tart
Carrot apple Kuchen
Vanill Cheesecake
Chocolate Cheesecake
chunky cookies
Brownie Parfait mini cup - out of this world
Biscotti
***herbed Almond cheese wow! I could have eaten this
whole ting by myself !!!!!!! yummo!

I HAD MY X-MAS........I'M SO TOTALLY DONE HAPPY! WOW!!!!
Old 08-18-2009, 04:49 PM
Toucan - Caretaker

How did you manage to eat all that stuff??? I'm so jealous!
Old 08-18-2009, 05:22 PM

Oh noooooooooooooo. I had 1/2 of the Entres and 2 little 'cup' desserts!

now now I'm eating the other 1/2 for dinner just made a salad! so will dig into only 1 dessert! I'm good and controlled! yes sirri man I am !

oh Man this is good. Love Love the 'tuna' --definitely dill picke there! There was something very 'strong' on the pizza....tried to take it apart without making a mess to see? olives? but it was good....not crazy about it good!

Last edited by wyjoz : 08-18-2009 at 05:24 PM.
Old 08-18-2009, 09:07 PM
Meadowlark

Jozzie! Mosaica! Thanks for posting the photo -- that is so ridiculously cute!!!
Old 08-19-2009, 09:52 AM

You should have seen everyone that came to the Pot Luck look at the pig and just 'laugh' it was fun watching the people! then duh they asked what's the pig made out of ! duh raw pate !!!! LOL
Old 08-24-2009, 05:22 PM

O.K. O.K. it's here: The Oregon Healthy Living magazine is out! and RAW RESPECT ---raw food diet gains acceptance! I'm so so so so happppppppppppppppiiiiiiiiiiii! http://www.mailtribune.com/apps/pbcs...VING/908240332
http://www.mailtribune.com/apps/pbcs...emplate=photos

http://www.mailtribune.com/apps/pbcs...NHEALTHYLIVING
at the bottom here; there is a picture of the cover of this magazine!

Raw Respect
Once considered way out there, raw-food diet gains acceptance

Salads are a staple of the raw-food diet.
August 24, 2009

By Sarah Lemon Photos by Denise Baratta

Lactose intolerance is just one health consideration among many in Eldon Lemons' family. With some of his relatives vegan and others allergic to soy, serving ice cream for dessert required a variety to rival Baskin-Robbins.

"You'd have your regular ice cream, your soy ice cream, your rice ice cream," he says. "It was just too confusing."

learn more
For more information on the raw vegan diet, see the Web sites of

author Victoria Boutenko, www.rawfamily.com; Medford chiropractor

Miven Donato, www.dolphindoctor.org; and Angel's Health Institute,

www.angelshealthfoodinstitute.com. For information on monthly raw-food

potlucks in Medford, e-mail Josephine Lee, WyJozU2@aol.com.
It took Lemons two years of kitchen experiments to create a single ice cream that everyone — regardless of dietary restrictions — could enjoy. Combining coconut or coconut milk, cashews blended to a silken consistency and bananas extruded through a Champion juicer, all sweetened with agave syrup, the concoction has a texture reminiscent of soft-serve.

"You could have it for a meal and not feel bad about it," says Lemons, 55.

Making a meal for dozens of guests at a monthly Medford potluck, the dessert even measures up to standards of an uncommonly restrictive regimen: the raw vegan diet.

"You can have ice cream," says 62-year-old Medford resident Josephine Lee, who organizes the raw-food potlucks. "You don't have to be raw and just eat carrot sticks and celery sticks."

In addition to fruits and vegetables, the raw vegan diet includes nuts and seeds, legumes and grains that have been soaked and sprouted, cold-pressed olive oil, raw honey, apple-cider vinegar, herbs, spices and some types of salt. Using these ingredients, raw-food enthusiasts set up a monthly smorgasbord to swap recipes and ideas. Elaborately garnished or simply served, all dishes are prepared without the benefit of heat in excess of 115 degrees, the temperature at which vital enzymes are destroyed, raw vegans say.

"It's just like the old saying that you are what you eat," says 17-year-old Tanner Elliott, of Jacksonville. "You eat dead food, you're gonna feel dead."

The enthusiasm among a crowd that can exceed 75 people for raw Thanksgiving dinner contrasts sharply with Medford's reception of raw food just a decade ago. Author, lecturer and local raw-food pioneer Victoria Boutenko recalls her failed efforts at selling ice cream not unlike Lemons' at Medford's weekly farmers market.

"I put away my books, and left and thought Medford is not ready," Boutenko says.

Seven years later, Medford residents' hunger for raw food had surpassed Ashlanders' appetites, Boutenko says. Medford's raw potlucks, Boutenko adds, are better organized and have the support of a Seventh-day Adventist congregation, although the church doesn't host the raw-food events every month.

"Now I see more and more people from Ashland attending Medford potlucks," says Boutenko, 54.

Angel's Organic Farm and Health Institute holds monthly raw-food potlucks near Gold Hill, and the movement soon will expand to Grants Pass, says Lee. Even if their diet isn't vegan or raw, many participants are drawn to the events because they suffer allergies to dairy or wheat, she says. Still others want to learn to prepare and eat more healthful foods.

"I figured if I get educated, maybe it'll really motivate me to change my diet," says 54-year-old Rex Zimmerman, adding that he eats too much salt and sugar.

"The thing about raw foods is giving up meat," the Medford resident says.

Protein deficiency is a common concern for many raw-food initiates, says Miven Donato, a Medford chiropractor who prescribes a diet of 85-percent raw food and 15-percent cooked — but no animal products — for almost all his patients.

"Nobody can just go raw," Donato says. "And it's not for everybody."

More than 300 people, however, have graduated from Donato's "Get Healthy Boot Camp" over the past three years. Limiting cooked-food consumption to just 15 percent of total calories jump-starts participants' weight loss and alleviates chronic health conditions, Donato says.

"People really feel better," he says. "The degree of improvement? It depends on the weight of the baggage."

In Donato's case, going 85-percent raw ended two years of intermittent vertigo. Going 100-percent raw remedied an inexplicable heart arrhythmia. His practice is awash in patients who have shed hundreds of pounds and are managing chronic diseases, such as arthritis and fibromyalgia, without medication, Donato says.

Yet there remains the rarer patients who believe food has nothing to do with health, Donato says, and who would never consider adopting a vegan lifestyle. In those instances, Donato recommends reducing meat consumption to once or twice a week and treating it like a condiment, as traditional Asian cookery does. It's not as difficult as people perceive to obtain all the protein the human body requires from plant material, Donato and other health practitioners say.

"All plant cells have a protein structure," Donato says.

And while maintaining a raw vegan diet is difficult — particularly without family support — it's not an all-or-nothing proposition, Lee and others say.

"We're not pushing anybody to go 100-percent raw; we never will," says Lee, adding that she occasionally eats cooked food.

"If somebody wants to go 100-percent raw, good luck."

Even Boutenko — who compares eating cooked food to feeding an "addiction" and whose "Twelve Steps to Raw Foods" is considered by many to be the diet's bible — has softened her stance in the 15 years since she went raw.

"I used to be (a fanatic), myself, for years," Boutenko says. "I am much more tolerant now."

In her third edition of "Twelve Steps," Boutenko says she starts to question the validity of veganism in light of evidence that all primitive humans consumed some form of animal protein, albeit insects.

Boutenko's latest book, "Green Smoothie Revolution" encourages readers, above all, to consume more greens. The easiest way to do that, she says, is in a daily smoothie to supplement a diet that's overall richer in fruits, vegetables and whole grains.

She's been pleased to find over the past few years, Boutenko says, that her advice is no longer so disparate from that of mainstream medical practitioners who, a decade ago, dismissed veganism as a radical ideology, not a legitimate diet that could be healthful.

"I don't want to have politics in the food."

Participants in monthly raw-food potlucks say their diet is occasionally still held up for ridicule. But when one stops and ponders the reasons for eating salads composed of raw vegetables, enjoying other foods raw doesn't seem so strange, says Lemons, whose diet is not primarily raw or vegan. Raw-food potlucks open up a new world of delicious possibilities, he adds.

"You can't imagine what you're gonna find here."

HOME

Last edited by Mosaica : 08-25-2009 at 05:21 PM.

Raw Freedom Community > Sunny Raw Lifestyle > Living 'In The Raw'