Raw Freedom Community  

Advertisement

Go Back   Raw Freedom Community > Sunny Raw Lifestyle > Growth and Self-Knowledge

Growth and Self-Knowledge "An unexamined life is a life not worth living." Socrates

Old 10-22-2008, 04:49 AM
Hatchling

Talking Rawkathon

I wanted to post about the Rawkathon. Is anyone watching it? I would love to have a discussion about the speakers!

I missed both from day 2 ( no David Wolfe) but I have seen the rest of them!

~W
Old 10-22-2008, 07:31 AM
Meadowlark

Watched everything. The questions where not sharp enough, but the speakers themselves where very good. So, what are your questions..?

LL
Old 10-22-2008, 08:49 AM
Hatchling

No questions really. Just wanted to discus (topics, speakers) and absorb what others have to say.

I have to say, I get Nomi Shannon's newsletters but never am able to plow through them. It was nice to hear her speak. I still don't know that I parallel her ideas or that I really connect with her in general but I am pleased that I decided to watch her interview. The information that she covered on fasting was particularly interesting to me. It's not a subject I have been able to read too much about yet.

I also really enjoyed Victoria Boutenko. I have been itching to read her book. When I started watching her interview I wasn't aware that she was the author though! I am still so new to this! I found it incredibly fascinating that she cited Jane Goodall and her research with Chimps. Mrs. Goodall was one of my hero's in college. Incredible.

I wish I could have seen David Wolfe! But I guess it just wasn't meant to be.

I would love to hear from other people. Thoughts, insight, anything

~W
Old 10-22-2008, 07:33 PM
Meadowlark

Awesome - am listening to Victoria at this moment. I missed Gabriel and Nomi - would anyone care to share what they discussed?? thanks
Im especially curious about Nomi - I remember meeting her 6 years ago at a raw retreat. It was great, as I learned a lot from the food classes she gave - buuut, didn't care for her personality too much. She was kind of rude and bitchy - a lot of the other people at the retreat noticed this too. In the years since then, I have heard pretty much nothing from her, cept for the joint ebook she authored with Sheryl from Raw Pleasure.... Green Variety - care to touch upon this since you heard her interview??
Old 10-22-2008, 07:35 PM
Meadowlark

On another note - it was nice to hear from Doug Graham that he has a 3 year old daughter- with Rozzie! So awesome, I had no idea.
Old 10-23-2008, 04:58 AM
Hatchling

The interview with her was good. She covered a bunch of anecdotal stuff that she saw while she was at Hippocrates. Offering alternative institutes because of the monetary commitment required to go to Hippocrates. She throws the word "gourmet" around a lot when talking about her book as well as talking about Hippocrates' food quality. She compared the food quality from the other institutes to that at Hippocrates, stating that the food at the other institutes was not gourmet. Kevin asked her "What are some of the things that you find that most people just need, whether supplements or food, they're just not taking it..." Her response started out talking about fast food and how everyone is so "busy" including her. How people aren't making their own food anymore. She said that "these generations coming up have never 'made food'" and that is where the biggest learning curve is. Getting people to learn how to create really healthy food for themselves at home. After this she went into a whole dialog about how people that are not good cooks or have never cooked need a recipe and they have a hard time improvising. She talked about herself and others being good cooks. How she has never had to throw out something she's made, she's always able to tweak it enough to make it edible. She mentioned her course at this point. She really kept talking about how time consuming being a raw foodist is. I found this part difficult to listen to. I don't think being a raw foodist is time consuming (that's just not how I look at it). She talked about having dried foods around but made a point to state that she buys those items "but you can make them." Her distinction between someone who can do this diet and someone that probably won't make it with the raw food lifestyle. She spent some time talking about Anne Wigmore mentioning that Anne Wigmore was the pioneer of raw foods. Anne Wigmore started to be discussed because Nomi was talking about "Energy Soup" and how many different recipe's there are out there.

She stated that one characteristic that is classic of someone that will be able to commit to the raw food lifestyle is someone that can "take charge of their own life." Fear associated with health and going against what an MD says is an area that a lot of people have problems. The fear of failure also affects people. If people deviate from the raw food lifestyle they think they have failed and treat it with the "diet mentality." The diet mentality is defined by her as "you fall off the wagon or have a bad meal" then you throw the whole program out. People don't treat themselves with compassion and forgiveness. They think they have failed and then just revert to their old habits. The lack of self forgiveness, allowing yourself to make mistakes but return to the raw food lifestyle.

She spent a portion of time talking about how important cleansing was. When she was asked if cleansing was required, she stated that it was. Stating that people need to cleanse even if they are going back to their SAD diet afterwords. She discussed the Master Cleanse, colon cleansing, psyllium, juice fasting and feasting and a water fast. This portion of the interview was interesting but I also found it repetitive and designed for someone that had no basic knowledge of fasting.

A good portion of the rest of the interview she discussed people's improvements that she had personally witnessed miracles with the raw food. How people at Hippocrates all going through the program will all detox "in the same way and on the same days."

I found her interview interesting. After the video was over I reevaluated my personal opinion of her and found my self in the same place. I try not to form opinions of people that I don't know or haven't met (unless they are positive) because I think there is something I am possibly missing. But I had a hard time with what appeared to be her logic on eating cooked foods. She said she has to when she travels (which is different than what I have heard from the others as well as my personal experienced) and that she knows after 5 days of eating cooked, even gourmet cooked foods she feels awful. I have only been eating raw foods for a little over two months. At first I yo-yo'ed and even then when I ate cooked foods, especially anything cooked with any amount of oil (fried or broiled) I felt it almost immediately. I don't think that I could travel and give presentations and eat cooked food. My brain would be a foggy mess. I also have to admit (and this seems EXTREMELY superficial of me I know, but now after watching her for an hour I have to say she doesn't glow like a raw foodist. Her skin seems pristine but aside from that there is nothing really remarkable about her outward appearance. I found it difficult to compare her to David Wolfe's bright smiling eyes or Victoria Boutenko's glowing face and constant smile. The entire time she spoke with Kevin she hardly smiled, her face was rigid, not very animated and impersonal. I had a hard time getting past that. She just didn't come across as a warm, caring, inspiring individual. I got that feeling that the only reason she was doing the interview was to be considered an "expert." If you do not agree, I totally understand. Again, I've never met her in person and all I have to go on is this interview and her newsletters (which I can never get through).

Hope this is a decent summary!

~W
Old 10-23-2008, 08:12 AM
Meadowlark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairygirl View Post
Awesome - am listening to Victoria at this moment. I missed Gabriel and Nomi - would anyone care to share what they discussed?? thanks
Cousins said they are studing enzymes now, which are triving and doing fine ABOVE 118 Fahrenheit, but under boiling point.
That was very exciting.

LL
Old 10-23-2008, 12:28 PM
Meadowlark

I'm listening to Matt Monarch's interview right now.

It's interesting. I've heard him speak at a raw restaurant. My mom actually almost didn't go raw because of his talk at that time! She thought he made it sound like colonics were more important than raw food, and she was confused by the things he was talking about with dying if he's in an accident instead of allowing medical attention. He touched on that.

Anyways, there's some interesting and good stuff in there too, I think.
Old 10-23-2008, 01:07 PM
Meadowlark

It's so funny to go from the Matt Monarch interview to Karen Knowler. What a difference!!! I have a smile on my face just listening to her suggestions. Wow, great stuff.
Old 10-23-2008, 01:47 PM
Meadowlark

Green Variety,
Wow, what a detailed summary, indeed! That was fabulous, thanks so much for taking the time to share that information. I sure appreciate it!
I definately agree with you about Nomi's personality - the word you used, rigid, describes her accurately, in my opinion. I'm not surprised that she eats cooked food. 6 years ago, she was quite overweight when I met her -and when someone asked her a question about it, she claimed she had a low thyroid...
Old 10-23-2008, 02:21 PM
Hatchling

I mean no disrespect but I was under the impression that thyroid disease could seriously benefit from a raw food lifestyle (even be cured?).

I'm about to listen to Karen now. I love her eZine I'm really excited to listen to her. I have found that if you load the video on your computer and just leave the screen up you can watch it at your leisure (not affected by the 24 hour time limit because it's no your computer loaded at that point, not streaming anymore).

Fairy Girl, glad you liked my recap. I wish I could get past her outward projections, I know her information is good but I really have a hard time "running with it." I am one of those people that truly believes in "lead by example," hence my signature... And if the raw food lifestyle is the champion for cleaning yourself of disease (she's seen all these people cured of cancer) shouldn't she be a prime example. Thyroid disease isn't much different is it?

~W
Old 10-23-2008, 09:14 PM
Swallow

Cherie Soria

All week I have missed the rawkathon but tonight´s Cherie Soria was very nice.
After sharing some tips about raw food came a class.
The menu was from my favorite food dishes:
Taboulli- made with quinoa instead of wheat
Hummus- zuchinni, paprika, cumin variety
Dolmas- Wild rice salad for grape leave rolls.

I think I´ll make them very soon as I have a jar of grape leaves waiting for me since March.
Old 10-26-2008, 08:51 AM
Swallow

About Jameth Sheridan

Last night Rawkathon Jameth Sheridan´s interview was very interesting.
I would really like to read what are your impressions of that interview. Hope you read this at time so you can check the link:
http://www.rawkathon.com/jameth-sheridan-video.html

Have a great day
Old 10-27-2008, 04:55 PM
Hatchling

I absolutely loved Karen Knowler! I feel so fortunate to have caught her interview. Her whole demeaner, glow, and most of all her wholistic approach really resonated with me. One of the authors she menioned was also someone that was influential for me. I just felt that I'd found my raw food mentor.

I also found Dr.Dina quite informative. I didn't catch Jameth.

Last edited by Marigold : 10-27-2008 at 04:58 PM.
Old 10-29-2008, 06:55 AM
Chickadee

jameth

jameth talked about when you fall off the raw wagon how you go back to your default diet, and to at least try to stay vegan for all the health benefits. the mentality sometimes hurts us that raw=good + cooked=bad.
there are degrees, ie .. steamed broccoli is cooked and so is a big mac.... big difference tho, eh?
he spoke of his teeth issues with all the fruit. that fruit is low in minerals 2-4%
veg=10%,nettles=20%, spirulena=10%
that when the balance is that much sugar and that little minerals what actually begins to happen is that you demineralize your body & your teeth. teeth become sensitive and sometimes even transparent.
on the subject of b12 he told us it's not just a vegetarian problem that 40% of meat eaters are b12 deficient.
salt: miso is a super food. the original tamari was the liquid that rose on the top of miso. raw tamari is way better than nama shoyu because of the wheat in nama.
animal protein acidifies the body, hard on the kidney hard on the body. contributes to kidney stones arthritis gout osteoporosis . large amounts of uric acid formed.
veg protein does not stress the kidneys
kidney damage can be reversed of prevented by spirulena.
he loooooves spirulena! that it supports the immune system even can help a smokers resistance to lung cancer (not that he was promoting smoking)
iron
dairy products block iron absorption. people having heart attacks are found to have too much iron floating around in the body.
and he spoke of people complaining how inconvenient it is to juice and prepare raw food for the diet- his answer to those comments was think how being sick is really inconvenient, on your finances, taking off work, getting degenerative diseases later in life is inconvenient!!!
exercise is critical. he would rather only eat 50% raw with exercise than 100% raw with none as far as being healthy goes.

i missed the evening with David Rainoshek and Frederic Patenaude, if anyone has highlights from their programs.
thanks
xoxoxo
snow

Raw Freedom Community > Sunny Raw Lifestyle > Growth and Self-Knowledge