Raw Freedom Community  

Advertisement

Go Back   Raw Freedom Community > Sunny Raw Lifestyle > Living 'In The Raw'

Living 'In The Raw' The place to discuss All-Things-Raw! From transitioning to the Raw Food Diet, to equipment, special techniques and more.

Old 10-29-2008, 02:56 PM
Hatchling

Where do you buy your food? Online or local store

I am a new raw foodist and wondering where people generally tend to buy items like seeds and nuts, seaweed, etc.
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Jill
Old 10-29-2008, 04:01 PM
Bad Mumble Jumble Dodo Bird

welcome to raw community. Enjoy your stay ! I buy all my nuts and seeds in a Co-Op they keep all the nuts in refridgerator and they are forever fresh. Seeds also.

On line I buy items that are not available, or items that are so different, (maca. lukuma, cocoa butter) and we do not have them locally yet. Hope that helps.
Joz
Old 10-29-2008, 06:25 PM
Hummingbird - Caretaker

Welcome on board, Jill!

I, too, can find a lot of things locally but for specialty stuff, I order online from the following 2 suppliers:

In Canada: Real Raw Food

In US: The Raw Food World
Old 10-29-2008, 06:37 PM
Swallow

We get pretty much everything locally either from the Co-Op or a health food store.
Old 10-29-2008, 08:27 PM
Chickadee

I get most of my fresh produce and nuts from whole foods.

WE also have a discount produce store in Chicago called Stanleys, as well as several farmer's markets in the summer.

For specialty items like Maca ( I like the raw flax-hemp-maca powder for smoothies) - I go to Karyn's Raw Cafe here in Chicago.

Our whole foods actually has a whole raw food section for crackers and nuts and agave and cookies, etc. Plus they have a decent selection of raw desserts. We're spoiled.

KAryn's does a raw food delivery package as does the other raw food cafe in town- Cousin's IV. I haven't tried either of those services but it sure is nice to know you can get raw food as easily as pizza!

As for seeds, nuts and powders- if you local store doesn't keep it on the shelf- be sure to ask if they'll special order it for you. Most will.
Old 10-30-2008, 06:18 AM
Meadowlark

I use www.nutsonline.com for the nuts, medjool dates, and occasional other dry fruits.
I get my hemp from Manitoba Harvest.
Also, I get maca and cacao beans from www.rawfood.com, but might get the cacao from Amazon now as its cheaper and Jozzie thinks it's delicious
Old 10-30-2008, 12:24 PM
Hatchling

I get my produce from a very inexpensive produce market in the downtown east side section of Vancouver (a very poor neighborhood, but not as scary as people think). It's called Sunrise Market and it's been around for 30 years. I can get pineapples for $1, 3 cucumbers for a dollar, tomatoes for 0.29/pound... it's amazing.

I get almonds, cashews, raw cacao, coconut, maca, lucuma, mesquite, chia, goji berries, and some other specialty products from Real Raw Food, which is a Canadian company located near me. Even with shipping, their prices beat my local stores and they're also the only source I know of for really raw almonds and cashews. They require a minimum order of $100 but I have no problem meeting that--I usually buy 5 pounds of almonds per month, for example, and that's $45 right there.

I get sunflower seeds, buckwheat groats, and a few other things from Capers, which is a local fancy-pants grocery chain that Whole Foods just bought.

I get some other nuts (walnuts, pecans, pine nuts), honey, and flax from Costco.

I get sprouting supplies from Mumm's Sprouting Seeds, also a Canadian company.
Old 10-30-2008, 01:21 PM
Hummingbird - Caretaker

Oh cool, Velvet! I've been meaning to order from nutsonline but didn't know how reliable they are. Their prices are awesome and they ship to Canada too!
Old 10-30-2008, 04:43 PM
Meadowlark

They have great customer service, but the shipping is a little expensive. I just make bulk orders every once in a while to offset that. Plus, it's the only place that has EVERYTHING so I don't have to place multiple orders. My husband is crazy about the medjool dates, they are very good
Old 10-31-2008, 02:46 PM
Hatchling

Okay, this is pretty exciting.

THANKS everyone for such wonderful information! I really helps make my search quicker and easier.
Old 10-31-2008, 03:17 PM
Swallow

You know, I can't believe I forgot to mention the Farmer's Market! We get a lot of our stuff there.

Last edited by Rowan : 10-31-2008 at 03:18 PM. Reason: Edited for spelling. I is a college garduate - raelly.
Old 12-31-2008, 06:40 AM
Hatchling

i've tried a few companies, including the ones mentioned. all good. but since it gets quite costly, i now order from www.dimondhealth.com because there are such huge savings. also can order stuff not on website. i prefer to order from one place whenever possible.

nutsonline isn't too bad, but many of their products arent really raw or organic. i ask them beforehand especially if something seems too cheap.
Old 12-31-2008, 03:51 PM
Hatchling

Where is the cheapest place to order raw nuts?
Old 12-31-2008, 04:23 PM
Hatchling

We're able to get some organics at Costco. Ours carries organic: baby spinach, 10# bags of carrots, Spring Green mix, sometimes organic apples. The first 3 are from Earthbound Farms.

I've left them comment cards thanking them for the organic produce they do carry and letting them know we would support and buy any other organics they carried.

They also carry organic raisins - but I don't know if they're raw or not.

I buy a lot of produce there even though it's not organic... frozen blueberries and a berry blend, mangos, bananas, pineapples, onions, garlic, shallots, cucumbers, sweet peppers. **
Old 12-31-2008, 04:58 PM
Hatchling

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegdiane View Post
Where is the cheapest place to order raw nuts?
http://www.organicfruitsandnuts.com/
they use to have some good deals, not sure if they still do. but not everything is really raw so you need to ask questions.

almonds+cashews: http://dimondhealth.com/Food.htm

Raw Freedom Community > Sunny Raw Lifestyle > Living 'In The Raw'