Raw Freedom Community  

Advertisement

Go Back   Raw Freedom Community > Sunny Raw Lifestyle > Raw Food Preparation - General

Raw Food Preparation - General Share and learn about raw food prep, ingredients, recipes and tips.

Old 11-02-2008, 08:51 PM
Meadowlark

Blending Avocado Pit?

So on the Vitamix web site, I notice a little paragraph about how raw fooders are blending the avocado pit. So I googled it and found just about nothing on it.

But I found this video odd that this girl threw that whole pit in the smoothie and blended it, but was very careful to remove the seeds of her apple. lol. Why not just throw those in also since she is not afraid of a little natural toxins.

YouTube Avocado Pit Smoothie
Old 11-03-2008, 01:04 AM
Meadowlark

Um, yeah, I tried that and grossed out my mom and myself. It was one of the foulest things I've ever had, and I used the Vitamix. This, coming from someone who "can eat anything" is BIG.
Old 11-03-2008, 09:44 AM
Meadowlark

lol. That's funny. I was totally thinking the girl in the video didn't seem very genuine when she said, "Yum."

I can get so many wonderful nutrients from things that taste good, I'll pass on the pit.
Old 11-03-2008, 09:44 AM
Swallow

Well, I don't know what's in an avocado pit, but I'm certainly not interested in consuming cyanide (apple seeds).
Old 11-03-2008, 10:47 AM
Meadowlark

You have to eat an awful lot of apple seeds to get a lethal dose of cyanide. Sometimes and apple seed or two get into my vitamix, I don't bother to fish them out.

But that avo pit is sure big! And I thought I recalled reading that there are also some mild toxins in the avo pit and its its one of those things that is dangerous for animals to eat it.
Old 11-03-2008, 12:09 PM
Hatchling

I cant see a wild human gnawing on an avocado pit...i think blending it in is a bit ridiculous...
Old 11-03-2008, 12:28 PM
Swallow

My understanding is that cyanide isn't water soluble and tends to stay in the tissues for a while. Besides why add it when we don't need it - not to mention all the other toxins out there - heck, you can even get sick from parsnip!

I just figure minimize risk and don't eat it.
Old 11-03-2008, 02:21 PM
Meadowlark

Oh, I thought it was just wild parsnip that was bad.
Old 11-03-2008, 03:51 PM
Meadowlark

I've done some research on this before I went parsnip foraging and no parsnip is toxic. I don't particularly like it, so I don't really eat it, but wild or farmed is fine. Maybe you are talking about photoreaction -- don't dig parsnip in the summer, and get the juice on your sweating skin while exposed to sunlight. You'll get big blisters.

You have to eat about half a cup of apple seeds to get a lethal dose (much less for small children). When I juice apples, I usually cut out the core, but if the odd seed gets in there, I don't care.

Also, check this out:
http://www.newton.dep.anl.gov/askasc...0/bot00208.htm
Old 01-12-2009, 08:39 PM
Hatchling

blended pit

I had started throwing my avocado pit in with my daily avocado smoothie about a month ago after seeing it ground up on the vita-mix website. I haven't experienced any side effects (no green glow, no weird bodily feelings...well, none out of the ordinary...) Like everyone here I've been able to find little information on the nutritional value. I experience no bitter taste, as I throw it in with my avocado/banana/chocolate smoothie, just wondering if it's worth it. It's a seed, so I figure there must SOMETHING good in there. And until I start to feel weird (well, weirder than usual...) I think I'll continue to do so. If anyone has found out anything else, let me know, I'd appreciate it...

FYI: my avocado smoothie below. Adjusted according to hunger/exercise schedule.

1/2 or whole avocado (with pit)
1 or 2 bananas
1/2 to 3/4 cup raw peanuts
2 squares dark chocolate
rice milk
ice
Old 01-27-2009, 08:41 AM
Swallow

Goodness... I have no idea that appleseeds were bad for you, I've just been quartering my apple whole and throwing them in my blender (good thing I only eat apples maybe twice a a month!). Thanks for the info!
Old 04-10-2010, 05:31 PM
Hatchling

Cyanide in your food could be a problem if you are following a low fat, vegetarian diet. Taking a vitamin B12 supplement could reduce the risk.

Cyanide Poisoning: A Low-fat Diet Disease
Old 04-10-2010, 07:06 PM
Chickadee

Oh come on. Think how many apple seeds one would have to digest to get poisoned. I www.snopes.com checked this and look:

http://www.snopes.com/food/warnings/apples.asp

they say what I was thinking that it would take a LOT of seeds to feel the poisoning effect...

and as far as ingesting an avocado pit? Um, I don't think so. I just feel there are certain things we shouldn't eat. BUT whoever wants to eat whatever, have at it. I toss the avo pits over the fence and think some squirrel or bunny or racoon is having a field day running home with that to his family...

Last edited by Veganforlife : 04-10-2010 at 07:09 PM.
Old 04-10-2010, 07:50 PM
Hatchling

Probably very few people in the US are at risk from the cyanide in the food they eat. The people suffering from cyanide poisoning in the article I linked had a fat and vitamin B12 deficient diet while consuming a lot of cassava (manioc, tapioca, yuca).

Quote:
"I toss the avo pits over the fence and think some squirrel or bunny or racoon is having a field day running home with that to his family..."
Perhaps you shouldn't.

There is documented evidence that animals such as cats, dogs, cattle, goats, rabbits, rats, birds, fish, and horses can be severely harmed or even killed when they consume the avocado leaves, bark, skin, or pit. The avocado fruit is poisonous to some birds, and the ASPCA and many other sites list it as toxic to many animals including cats, dogs, and horses.
[...]

Avocado: Toxicity to animals
Old 04-10-2010, 07:52 PM
Chickadee

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesWT View Post
Probably very few people in the US are at risk from the cyanide in the food they eat. The people suffering from cyanide poisoning in the article I linked had a fat and vitamin B12 deficient diet while consuming a lot of cassava (manioc, tapioca, yuca).

Perhaps you shouldn't.

There is documented evidence that animals such as cats, dogs, cattle, goats, rabbits, rats, birds, fish, and horses can be severely harmed or even killed when they consume the avocado leaves, bark, skin, or pit. The avocado fruit is poisonous to some birds, and the ASPCA and many other sites list it as toxic to many animals including cats, dogs, and horses.
[...]
Avocado: Toxicity to animals
WOW! ok. I won't do it anymore. Thanks! I didn't know this...

Raw Freedom Community > Sunny Raw Lifestyle > Raw Food Preparation - General