Raw Freedom Community  

Advertisement

Go Back   Raw Freedom Community > Sunny Raw Lifestyle > Raw Food Preparation - General

Raw Food Preparation - General Share and learn about raw food prep, ingredients, recipes and tips.

Old 02-05-2009, 05:14 AM
Meadowlark

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by joliepolie View Post
The desserts look incredible but Irish Moss scares the heck outta me.I am concerned with the seaweedy/swampy thing some have experienced.Do a majority of the recipes in the book contain it?
The book is divided into sections: pies, cakes, cheesecakes, dehydrator recipes, & candies. Several of the pies have Irish moss but the other desserts don't use it for the most part (except for a few).

I got lucky on my first try using some Irish moss from our local raw certified chef, Linda Wooliever. I have to admit I'm a bit weary about using the Irish moss I got from Cafe Gratitude as it's a lot smaller, drier, & contains a lot more sand, debris and these funny soft white crystals (which I found out are ok). CG's moss is supposed to be soaked for 24 hrs. Linda's moss is a lot bigger and not very dry at all. That's why it only takes an hour or so to soak. So I think it depends on where you get you moss from. I'll report back if/when I do use the Irish moss I have from Cafe Gratitude. In the future I'll keep on ordering the moss from Linda. I'm not sure where her souce is.

Carmella - I'll find out where Linda's moss is coming from as it's great stuff. I'd be interested in Elaina's source as well to see if we are using the same stuff! Yeah I got lucky for my first time. Beginners luck I guess!!

Last edited by J.o.y.c.e : 02-05-2009 at 09:15 AM.
Old 02-05-2009, 05:18 AM
Meadowlark

Quote:
Originally Posted by malilies View Post
I made their Cappuccino pie this weekend and it was delicious. I couldnt get enough. It was my first time playing with Irish Moss and I was amazed by its gelatinous quality and how easy it was to use it. I have been eating the left over 'meringue' with gRAWnola and fruit for breakfast...so yummy! I think Im gonna try to make some chocolate this weekend. I just got some coconut sugar for the recipe.
oooh Malilies! I'm glad to hear your Cappuccino pie was a success! I have my eye on that one too! Isn't that meringue recipe brilliant! I loved the leftover from the strawberry brilliance pie. I mixed my leftover meringue with some leftover fresh strawberries
Old 02-05-2009, 11:17 AM
Hummingbird - Caretaker

That's it! You girls are tempting me to pick up that book again and go play in the kitchie!

Malilies,
I've been eyeing that Cappuccino pie ever since I got it. Man, sounds divine!

Since it looks like many of us have the book, I say we should have a recipe from CG as a Project RAW. Wouldn't that be fun! What do you say? Any suggestion as to what to tackle?
Old 02-05-2009, 11:44 AM
Meadowlark

It looks like I may be making the cappuccino pie this weekend. I have a couple young coconuts for the meringue topping and some Irish moss to use up that's been in water from last weekend (I believe that moss will only last a week). So I have to make a recipe with moss on Saturday and the hubby gave me thumbs up today for the cappuccino pie.

I'm also going to make Carmella's Hazelnut cream pie for my first raw potluck this coming Sunday evening. That one is a sure winner and a nice winter recipe! I'm not brave enough to take the cappuccino pie to the potluck w/o testing it first. So I'll be making 2 desserts this weekend which is fine since I love making these raw desserts (and tasting the batter!! )
Old 02-05-2009, 11:45 AM
Wryneck

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyjoz View Post
coconut sugar???? really? where???? do you have a link? Joz
I got it from a friend. I am not sure where he buys it. I could ship some to you if you want...I have about 2lbs.

Last edited by malilies : 02-05-2009 at 11:51 AM.
Old 02-05-2009, 11:48 AM
Wryneck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carmella View Post
That's it! You girls are tempting me to pick up that book again and go play in the kitchie!

Malilies,
I've been eyeing that Cappuccino pie ever since I got it. Man, sounds divine!

Since it looks like many of us have the book, I say we should have a recipe from CG as a Project RAW. Wouldn't that be fun! What do you say? Any suggestion as to what to tackle?

I am in for a Project RAW. There are sooo many good looking dessert though...I wouldnt know which one to pick. I want to make the goji berry chocolate cheesecake sometime soon. Have you tried it?
Old 02-05-2009, 11:51 AM
Hatchling

So I was convinced after all the rave reviews here and I just purchased Sweet Gratitude off Amazon along with Jennifer Cornbleet's book.
Old 02-05-2009, 11:52 AM
Hatchling

I would be in for project RAW if I can make something without moss hehe
Old 02-05-2009, 12:26 PM
Hummingbird - Caretaker

Joyce,
You're on a dessert roll! Lucky hubby!

Malilies,
I was also drawn to the goji berry chocolate cheesecake so it would be a potential recipe. Anyone else has suggestions?

Joliepolie,
Oh you won't regret these! I don't have Jennifer's book but have tried several of her recipes and loved them!

I'm with you on this... Irish moss can be intimidating for sure so we'll makethe Project moss free!
Old 02-05-2009, 06:27 PM
Wryneck

I made the Acai Cups this afternoon. I am so excited...it was fun to make. It only took me about an hour to make the chocolate ad the filling. They look so yummy, Ill have one for breakfast tomorrow. I made heart shape and flower shape chocolate. I will post pictures as soon as I can resize them.
Old 02-05-2009, 10:18 PM
Hummingbird - Caretaker

Malilies,

Sounds like we're on the same wavelength! I'm making the Hazelnut Amaretto Cups and the Almond Coconut Joy perhaps tomorrow (I have to get myself some small cups first!)
Old 02-06-2009, 05:24 AM
Meadowlark

Oh wow ladies! Do post the results for your candies! They look amazing in the pictures!

Change of plans for this weekend. I'm going to make the apple pie in Sweet Gratitude which uses Irish moss so the moss I have in the water won't go to waste. I'm definitely fighting a cold or a virus (which apparently is going around here in VT). I'm battling it with garlic and ginger which seems to be working but I'm not completely out of the woods yet. Apples supposedly have antiviral properties so the apple pie might be just what I need! I'll report back on how that one goes

Normally I'd wait until apples are in season in Vermont (fall time) but I think a raw apple pie would be rather soothing and healing this weekend!

ps - I'm still going to make the choc hazelnut cream pie for the raw potluck on Sunday
Old 02-06-2009, 09:35 AM
Chickadee

Joyce,
Feel great. Gosh. I too have either a cold in my ear that keeps clogging up or body telling me more green powder is past due. Body is smart.

Where are candy pictures? In our picture files? Off to see if I can find them then off to make onion bread, think onion bread, consider the lasagna or just clean up. My husband would vote for the last and throw out everything. His way of cleaning: toss and who cares about yesterdays stuff.

carolg
Old 02-06-2009, 10:24 AM
Meadowlark

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolg View Post
Joyce,

Where are candy pictures? In our picture files?

carolg
Hi Carolg - the pictures I was mentioning are in the book, Sweet Gratitude. They took some nice photos of the candies
Old 02-06-2009, 12:21 PM
Wryneck

This are soooooooo yummy! I made half the chocolate recipe and it had enough to make the Acai cups and then some. I definitely be making more chocolate in the future...it is soo good and easy
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	still in the molds.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	63.6 KB
ID:	3052  Click image for larger version

Name:	hearts and a flower.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	56.5 KB
ID:	3053  Click image for larger version

Name:	all of them.jpg
Views:	64