Raw Freedom Community  

Advertisement

Go Back   Raw Freedom Community > Sunny Raw Lifestyle > The Recipes > Entrees and Main Courses - General

Old 12-03-2008, 03:44 PM
Swallow

easy falafel

eeeeasy and fast and reeeeally good AND taste "like the real thing" basically because they are the real thing, only dehydrated instead of cooked.
this is my adapted version of the recipe from "raw truth"

falafel

2c sprouted chicpeas
1 lemon (juice or, in a vitamix, just peeled)
1c sesame seeds (or 1/2 c tahini, 1/2 c sesame seeds...i figured my seeds would turn to tahini in the vitamix, so i skipped making them into tahini first )
(dash of sesame oil, optional)
1 c parsley (this is a guess...probably adjust to your own preference)
1/2 onion
3 T tamari or equivalent saltiness from another source
1 T crushed cumin seeds (i think i maybe put in a bit more than that...)

put all ingredients in a vitamix or high powered blender with the masher and blend and mash away (MASH)
it is pretty much really thick hummus. i made it into 1" balls and dehydrated for about 7 hours, but could have been a bit less than that. these are sooooooo good... and simple! the recipe suggested making little chip sized discs out of them, too --- that might be good but really crunchy. mine got toasted on the outside and yummy on the inside!

*alternate for a sweet blender would be to homogonize the chicpeas and sesame seeds and parsley and then add the rest of the stuff after in a bowl
you could probably get a decent consistency in a food processor - but i remember from trying to make raw hummus that it isn't easy to get it good.

i served these on whatever cracker i had on hand (some barley sunflower concoction) with a spinach and parsley sauce and lots of sprouts --- awesome . the kids LOVED them too (and my significant other requested repeats in the near future ) will definitely be adding these to my rotational menu of stand-bys. hope you like 'em
cheers
Old 12-03-2008, 04:03 PM
Chickadee

Ani,
Recipe sounds good and thanks.

Always had a hard time digesting raw chickpeas (getting it down as chickpeas seem so dry). Is this really like the real stuff? I was using food processor however and maybe that makes the world of difference being more smooth and consistent to eating/digesting it too. Maybe I need to try again. Off to soak some garbs now. I also tried dehydrating it but it also seems dryish--not this recipe of course. Should I sprout overnight or till signs of tails show up. With it being cold cloudy may have to wait few days for the sun to shine through.
carolg

Last edited by carolg : 12-03-2008 at 04:09 PM.
Old 12-03-2008, 06:19 PM
Swallow

carolg - i sprout my chicpeas till the tails are...oh...quite out there...more than just showing - maybe this helps digestion. i have had the same problem digesting them in raw hummus but i think cuz these are dehydrated - i didn't have any trouble - good luck
Old 12-03-2008, 09:30 PM
Chickadee

Ani,
Thanks for "tail" information. I even had problems digesting after dehydrated. Maybe the trick for me may be the blender vs. food processor to get the garbs super fine in consistency. I'll give that a try. Got garbs and other sprouting items soaking (alfalfa, radishes, and will do some lentils too!).

carolg

Raw Freedom Community > Sunny Raw Lifestyle > The Recipes > Entrees and Main Courses - General