Raw Freedom Community  

Advertisement

Go Back   Raw Freedom Community > Sunny Raw Lifestyle > The Recipes > Entrees and Main Courses - General

Old 02-22-2009, 12:14 PM
Hummingbird - Caretaker

Lots of Kelp Noodle Recipes

I've been searching the net for different ways to eat kelp noodles and came upon the following site. It has tons of recipes using them! Have a look here!
Old 02-22-2009, 12:21 PM
Hummingbird - Caretaker

This recipe was posted on Upaya Naturals site. They're located in Canada and sell cases for a 5% discount!

Actually, I think I'll make a variation of this tonite as it sounds delish; right up what I was aiming for in terms of flavors.

Serves 6 as a side dish- 4 as a main

16-oz pkg Sea Tangle Kelp Noodles
2 tbsp peeled, grated ginger
1 C carrots-grated
1/2 C coconut water
1 C each red and green cabbage shredded
1 tbsp sesame oil
2 C (about) shredded baby bok choy
2 tbsp lemon or lime juice
ľ C shredded daikon radish, or regular red radish
1Ĺ tsp Celtic sea salt
6 tbsp almond butter*
Ĺ tsp cayenne pepper, optional

Wash, shred, and grate all vegetables and place them in a bowl with the Kelp Noodles (these noodles are ready to use, ready to eat Ė just open the package and put in bowl!)

Blend almond butter, ginger, coconut water, sesame oil, lemon juice, sea salt, and cayenne, if youíre going spicy! Blend well. Pour dressing over your vegetables and noodles, toss, and let salad sit to marinate for 30 minutes.

* Almond butter can be substituted for other nut butters.
Old 02-22-2009, 12:25 PM
Hummingbird - Caretaker

Kelp Noodle Heaven

Found this one on Lindaís blog.

Kelp Noodle Heaven
by Linda Wooliever

Iíve been playing around with these kelp noodles. Each night I would find a recipe and modify it until I came up with SUCH a winning combination. Matt and I have been eating it like crack! I wouldnít eat at the workshops I had this week because I just wanted to come home and make my kelp noodle dinner. BOY is it ever tasting heavenly to me and perfect warming herbs to eat this during this COLD COLD week! YUM! This has it all - spice, savory, a touch of sweet. I literally have to pace myself or else Iíd inhale the bowl.

For the noodle heaven:

1 package sea tangle kelp noodles
purple cabbage (optional)

Really rinse the kelp noodles and drain in a mesh colander. Transfer to a bowl. Thinly chop about 3/4 cup worth of purple cabbage and put in the bowl with the noodles. Mix and set aside.

For the sauce:
4-5 Tbsp almond butter
1/4 cup filtered water
3 Tbsp extra virgin coconut oil
1-2 jalapeno peppers, deseeded* (depending on how much spice you like - start with one and add another if you want to make it SPICY)
1 Tbsp agave
1 Tbsp nama shoyu**
1/2 - 1 Tbsp ground ginger
2 tsp hot pepper sesame oil (or regular sesame oil)
1 tsp apple cider vinegar

Put all sauce ingredients in your blender and blend until smooth and creamy. You may have to blend a while if you live in a cold place like VT and the coconut butter is still in chunks. This is actually OK if the VitaMix blends it for a while because it warms it up some. You just want to stop after a minute because you donít want to boil what youíve got in the pitcher! After itís all blended and creamy, pour over the noodle and cabbage mixture and let sit for about 5-10 minutes so that the noodles get softer.

* NOTE: Our healthy food store was out of jalapenos for a couple days so I used 1 Tbsp of my favorite hot sauce as a substitution for the fresh jalapeno peppers. This condiment isnít raw but itís what I had on hand and it still tasted heavenly. You could also substitute with a pinch or so of cayenne pepper. Thereís always lots of ways to substitute.

**Another NOTE: Some folks will not use Nama Shoyu (an unpasteurized soy sauce) - it does have wheat in it so for some, there is an intolerance there. Others wonít use it because they say it makes them over eat. I think it has a great taste and so I use it. I also use Braggís liquid aminos which is another ďno-noĒ to some. I think we can all make our own judgements of what works for our bodies and our pocketbooks I care more about reducing guilt and shame over food but I do also want to give you another substitution. If you canít or donít want to use nama shoyu or braggís, add a rounded tsp of your favorite miso as a substitution.

SERVING SUGGESTION: Now this is where it gets even better! Make a salad consisting of baby greens, baby spinach and sliced up or grated carrots. Put some on a plate. Then add some (about 1/4 cup) of my House Kim Chi on top of the salad! OO! This is SOOOO GOOD! Then add some (or a lot) of the kelp noodles on top. This is such a delicious and satisfying dinner. I canít even begin to tell you how amazing this is. And beautiful too: white noodles, purple cabbage over fuschia pink kim chi over a green and orange salad. We make it very spicy and itís SOOO wonderful to eat the heat when it is so cold outside. The ginger and the jalapenos are awesome. My toes are warming up just thinking about it!
Old 10-25-2009, 08:42 PM
Hatchling

I made this (Kelp Noodle Heaven) tonight for supper. It was incredible! I have tried 2 other kelp noodle recipes and didn't like either one. This one convinced me that kelp noodles can be good.

Thank you SO much Carmella! This forum has made it SO much easier to eat raw.
Old 10-27-2009, 07:32 AM
Swallow

I love these noodles! They really fille me up! I found that slicing through them before rinsing helped make easier bite size pieces. I need to buy them by the case, only wish I had more room in the fridge
Old 10-31-2009, 05:38 PM
Meadowlark

Yes! Linda's kelp noodle heaven rocks!!! My husband loves this dish too. And it's easy and so convenient since it's mostly pantry ingredients.
Old 03-01-2010, 02:35 PM
Hatchling

hey, that's so great!

I just found out from someone that my recipe was posted here. I'm happy to know that! I am glad to read that my recipes are being used and they are well liked! Thank you very much,

Linda

http://www.vt-fiddle.com
Old 03-01-2010, 06:16 PM
Swallow

did you all find with these recipes that the noodles got soft? sometimes mine don't get soft and then - -- uh, i just don't enjoy them as much!
Old 03-01-2010, 06:19 PM
Swallow

oops - another question - if i buy this insane amount of noodles - how long will they keep in my fridge (assuming i don't eat kelp noodles every night for 4 weeks straight...which might be possible, but i think i would most likely want to spread them out...)
Old 03-02-2010, 06:41 AM
Chickadee

Quote:
Originally Posted by ani View Post
did you all find with these recipes that the noodles got soft? sometimes mine don't get soft and then - -- uh, i just don't enjoy them as much!
If you want soft noodles, try Sirova's Sea Spaghetti.

http://www.sirova.com/catalog/95

Sooo good. As far as how long they will keep? Do they have a date stamped somewhere on the packaging? I'd bet some months.
Old 03-02-2010, 07:07 AM
Meadowlark

Sea spaghetti will keep for 3 years at least in a cupboard. Kelp noodles need to be in the fridge, and it's hard to know if the people who sold them to you did keep them in the fridge themselves. I've had bags smell HORRIBLE, and some that were fine. And, kelp noodles are processed. You can't go to the beach and make kelp noodles, but you can harvest sea spaghetti that looks just like the stuff on Sirova. And sea spaghetti will get all soft once soaked, because it's an unprocessed sea vegetable, which are by definition soft when saturated with water (aka the sea).
Old 03-02-2010, 06:40 PM
Hatchling

I like kelp noodles in a salad with pesto dressing and grated courgette and carrot.

Nice out of the fridge on the 110 degree days we have been having.
Old 03-03-2010, 11:40 AM
Hatchling

Kelp Noodles

I have tried the Sea Tangle kelp noodles many times. I bought a whole case when I was first told of them because I was so excited. What I don't like about them is that the noodles never become soft (like pasta) ... and I am preparing them as a pasta noodle substitute. That said, the noodles are great for a crunch in a soup! In joy ~)
Old 03-03-2010, 06:38 PM
Hatchling

That's odd becuase mine ALWAYS go soft after soaking.
Old 08-16-2010, 09:23 AM
Chickadee

I have tons of bags of kelp noodles. Didn't fall in love with them but I suppose Velvet the smell is going to tell if good or not? I suppose I better start trying to use them up soon if good. Thanks Velvet. Been needing this information badly plus space in my refrigerator for long time.

carolg

Raw Freedom Community > Sunny Raw Lifestyle > The Recipes > Entrees and Main Courses - General