Raw Freedom Community  

Advertisement

Go Back   Raw Freedom Community > Sunny Raw Lifestyle > The Recipes > Desserts and Sweet Treats

Old 04-20-2009, 05:23 PM
Meadowlark

Maple Coffee Ice Cream Cake with Candied Pecans

Spring in Vermont means maple sugar season and lots of fresh maple syrup! Having purchased 2 gallons of grade A maple syrup from our neighbors down the road, I wanted to experiment with a maple dessert this past Saturday. I was aiming for a maple flavored cheesecake or a cake that tasted like local maple fudge. However, when we tried the cake on Saturday night, we discovered that it tasted more like a very sweet, yet mild tasting coffee ice cream. Remember eating coffee ice cream as a kid? So although my cake didn’t achieve the main goal in mind, I was left with a pleasant surprise! Here's the recipe:

Maple Coffee Ice Cream Cake with Candied Pecans

Use a 9 inch spring form pan

Candied Pecan Crust

* 2 1/2 cups of pecans
* 1/2 cup of dates, chopped and soaked for 20-30 minutes
* 1 1/2 tablespoons of maple syrup
* 1/2 teaspoon of maple syrup extract (I use Frontier brand)
* 2 dashes of cinnamon
* 1 heaping tablespoon of coconut oil (not melted)

Process the pecans in the food processor until they have formed crumbs. Add the remaining ingredients and process until well incorporated. This should make a nice moist and sweet crust.

Lightly grease the spring form pan with coconut oil. Then press the crust into the pan. Place crust in freezer while making the filling.

I like to start melting the cacao butter used in the filling while I make the crust. Using the dehydrator works like a charm!

Filling

* 3 cups of soaked cashew pieces (a little more than 2 1/2 cups dry)
* 2 cups of homemade almond milk, lightly sweetened with maple syrup
* 1 cup of pure maple syrup
* 1 tablespoon of lemon juice
* 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
* 2 1/2 teaspoons of maple syrup extract
* 3 1/2 teaspoons of granulated maple sugar
* 3 tablespoons of organic soy lecithin
* 3/4 cup of melted cacao butter

Using a Vitamix, blend all the ingredients except the lecithin and melted cacao butter until smooth. Then add the lecithin and melted cacao butter and blend again until smooth. Pour on top of the crust and place in freezer for 6-7 hours. The batter is very thin and will need time to set up in the freezer. After 3+ hours, place the candied pecans on top of cake in a decorative manner. Once completely frozen, take the cake out of the freezer and remove the sides of the spring form pan. Place cake in the fridge

Candied pecans

* about 24 pecan pieces (pick out the best looking ones)
* 1/2 cup of maple syrup
* 2-3 teaspoons of granulated maple sugar
* couple dashes of cinnamon

In a small bowl, mix up everything except the pecans. Coat the pecans with the mixture and place on teleflex sheets. Dehydrate over night. In the morning, turn pecans over and dehydrate a few more hours. Use them to decorate the cake when it’s firm enough.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2949.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	18.7 KB
ID:	3289 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2939.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	15.3 KB
ID:	3290

Name:	IMG_2945.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	16.0 KB
ID:	3291 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2955.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	14.2 KB
ID:	3292

Name:	IMG_2958.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	16.2 KB
ID:	3293

I also made a maple cream recipe from Raw Food Real World. And finally I made Carmella's whipped cream recipe. Both were delicious! All details and more information has been posted on my blog tonight. My dessert photo album has also been updated and the photos are much bigger.
Old 04-20-2009, 07:24 PM
Toucan - Caretaker

Looks fantastic! I love the taste of the maple syrup, any time in any form! Too bad we don't have a maple farm in the neighborhood...
Old 04-20-2009, 10:03 PM
Hummingbird - Caretaker

Oh my goodness! Joyce girl, you keep pumping out scrumptious creations! Sounds amazing!

I got a couple of questions for you...

Do you think this would still work without the maple extract? I've never seen it in my neck of the woods.

And I don't know if it's my eyes playing tricks but I can't see coffee in the list of ingredients.
Old 04-20-2009, 10:06 PM
Hummingbird - Caretaker

Ooops! Never mind... I just read the intro!
Old 04-21-2009, 08:52 AM
Meadowlark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carmella View Post
Oh my goodness! Joyce girl, you keep pumping out scrumptious creations! Sounds amazing!

I got a couple of questions for you...

Do you think this would still work without the maple extract? I've never seen it in my neck of the woods.

And I don't know if it's my eyes playing tricks but I can't see coffee in the list of ingredients.
Hi Carmella, You might try coffee extract but a little bit less since it might be stronger. I think it was the combo of cacao butter, and the maple extract that gave it a coffee ice cream flavor. Maple extract is very strong and tastes a bit different than real maple syrup. I think w/o the extracts it might have more of a white chocolate flavor as cacao butter is very strong tasting.

No coffee or extracts were added to this cake. It just happened to taste like coffee ice cream when it was all said and done. I love coffee and coffee ice cream. But I don't think coffee ice cream tastes that much like real coffee. (at least the cheap ice cream I remember eating as a kid once in a while.)

I'm actually thinking of trying a cinnamon maple cheese cake with coconut butter instead of the cacao butter. (not 100% sure what I'm making this weekend)This would be similar to RFRW's maple cream I also made last Saturday. I used to love making oatmeal and flavoring it with cinnamon and maple syrup. The maple cream reminded me of that!
Joyce
Old 04-21-2009, 08:59 AM
Bad Mumble Jumble Dodo Bird

oh J.O.Y.C.E. Since I'v been so buisy............and running lectures could you? please move here....so we can do uncooking and I can get to taste '''I LOVE LOVE LOVE'''' Maple anything.... like Mosaica !!!!!!!!!!!!!! and we can make you the '''chef''' here!

Wow..........I could keep you buisy, and we have Mt Ashland for skiing ! and Mt. Shasta and Mt. Hood........... and now I'm speechless!
Old 04-21-2009, 10:06 AM
Meadowlark

Yeah, maple syrup is pure heaven to me. I even have a small bottle here in my cubicle. (sweetner for my afternoon tea )

Oregon does sound really great Joz. I'll tell my husband about Mt Ashland

My heart is here in Vermont but someday we wonder if we'll be able to afford living on our mountain when we're older. It's very expensive to live in Vermont and the winters and weather can be quite tough.....Maybe Oregon is something to seriously consider for the future.
Old 04-21-2009, 12:42 PM
Chickadee

wow
wow
wow
wow
wow
wow
wow
wow
wow
wow
wow
wow
wow
wow
wow
wow
wow
wow!!!!!!!
Old 04-21-2009, 03:59 PM
Hummingbird - Caretaker

Oh, lookie who's come for a little vist... Hiya dear Snowdrop!

Thanks Joyce. I might try the coffee extract idea. And that cinnamon maple cheese cake sounds very promising! Keep us posted!
Old 04-24-2009, 08:58 AM
Chickadee

Joyce you are so creative! I am terrified of a spring form pan...just have visions of a blob coming out when I unlock the sides...maybe from some childhood incident (mom wasn't much in the kitch). I used to love coffee ice cream too, haven't had it in 4-ever!
Old 04-24-2009, 09:41 AM
Meadowlark

You can tell if its not solid yet, so you won't ever unlock before its ready.
Old 04-24-2009, 12:42 PM
Meadowlark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hippimom View Post
Joyce you are so creative! I am terrified of a spring form pan...just have visions of a blob coming out when I unlock the sides...maybe from some childhood incident (mom wasn't much in the kitch). I used to love coffee ice cream too, haven't had it in 4-ever!
Hiya! I always freeze my cakes solid first. Then I take off the sides of the spring form pan. When the cake is frozen solid, it comes off nicely. Then I take the frozen cake and stick it in the fridge. After a couple hours it's usually ready to eat.
Old 05-08-2009, 11:44 PM
Hatchling

Good morning J.o.y.c.e.,
I have made this dessert yesterday and it truly is wonderful. I told you the other day that I was going to use you to bring my husband to raw food, (through his sweet tooth). Well, we both loved it. Thank you for this. All the ingredients cost a lot here in the UK, but when I consider all the bad extras that we don't buy any more, it is not really that expensive. This dessert didn't take much time either, to make or to eat As there are only two of us with a small fridge/freezer, I made it in small glass dishes and was able to fit them in to our crowded fridge. I will have to organise the fridge one day. Thank you, Thank you, Thank you, Thank you, Thank you, Thank you, Thank you, Thank you,
Old 05-11-2009, 12:16 PM
Meadowlark

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebells View Post
Good morning J.o.y.c.e.,
I have made this dessert yesterday and it truly is wonderful. I told you the other day that I was going to use you to bring my husband to raw food, (through his sweet tooth). Well, we both loved it. Thank you for this. All the ingredients cost a lot here in the UK, but when I consider all the bad extras that we don't buy any more, it is not really that expensive. This dessert didn't take much time either, to make or to eat As there are only two of us with a small fridge/freezer, I made it in small glass dishes and was able to fit them in to our crowded fridge. I will have to organise the fridge one day. Thank you, Thank you, Thank you, Thank you, Thank you, Thank you, Thank you, Thank you,
Oh Bluebells, that makes my day! So glad you enjoyed the recipe!!!

Raw Freedom Community > Sunny Raw Lifestyle > The Recipes > Desserts and Sweet Treats